The Night Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Night Manager

Like "Hail Caesar", I am surprised that I am the first to mention this. I missed the first episode but Mrs Bored loved it and insisted we watched it now that our Sunday night "Orange is the new Black" watching has finished. I wanted to get on with the long delayed second half of the West Wing but to no avail.

I was really impressed by this. As someone that is completely unimpressed by the Daniel Craig Bonds, this struck me as exactly what they should be. The plotline was much more relevant and nuanced than the "foreign - especially brown - people are bad" narratives of most bonds (although "The Living Daylights" had arms dealers as villains). I thought the camera work and production values were ace and, again, up there with Bonds. There has been a lot of moaning about licence payers' money being used to blow up planes and villages but, to be honest, I would rather it used for good drama rather than Top Gear blowing up caravans or Phil Mitchell destroying a portakabin.

The cast was generally good. Hiddlestone was, perhaps, a little too smooth but a certain shoe-in for the next Bond (should they not go for Idris Elba as has been lobbied for), Olivia Coleman is always good (playing a character that was male in the book apparently), Hugh Laurie carried on in the vein of his "House" misanthropic nature well, Tom Hollander played it perhaps a bit too camp but not off-puttingly so. The supporting cast were all the sort of stalwarts that you often see in good quality drama so there were never going to be any issues there.

The only performance - or, perhaps, casting - that jarred was Elizabeth Debicki. I didn't think that she was such a good actress that she made the role her own, she was way too young (10 years younger than Hiddlestone, 30 years younger than Laurie) and too tall. She is actually a similar height - 6ft 2 - to Hiddlestone and Laurie but as she spent most of her time in high heels towering over them. I appreciate that this sort of mismatch happens all the time but, when casting, you would want to have actors that match up physically. With the age issue, I appreciate that younger women are attracted to older richer men but, even so, this was rather stretching it. Of course, they could have cast her first and worked the make actors around her but that wasn't going to happen here obviously.

Maybe because of this, the suspension of disbelief needed to believe that someone as professional as Quill/Pine would endanger an operation - that he had gone to such extreme lengths to work - was hard work. He had faked a murder, got himself beaten almost into a coma and cut himself off from almost all safety nets and then compromised it all for a hotel quickie. Maybe seeing the first episode would have made this more believable for me.

Anyway, I have made too much of this niggle and the romantic interest in anything like this often requires a suspension of disbelief. A nicely multi-layered plot, great characters and performances and an excellent satisfying ending slightly reminiscent of "The Long Good Friday"

Unfortunately, the West Wing has again been put off as it looks like "The Night Manager"s Sunday night replacement "Undercover" is very good as well

The Night Manager

Hiddleston's playing the title role in the screen bio of Hank Williams. Which is an interesting choice.

The only performance - or, perhaps, casting - that jarred was Elizabeth Debicki.

A great wardrobe though, which she displayed to perfection.

The Night Manager was certainly watchable, driven mainly I felt by the performances of Laurie, Hollander and Coleman. Natasha Little also gave a lot to what was basically a one dimensional supporting role. I'll probably be hard pressed to remember much about it in a few weeks though. Which isn't a criticism, just that the bar for this type of TV drama is higher than it's ever been, and it takes something special to stand out from the crowd.

Comment

The Night Manager

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Hiddleston's playing the title role in the screen bio of Hank Williams. Which is an interesting choice.

The only performance - or, perhaps, casting - that jarred was Elizabeth Debicki.

A great wardrobe though, which she displayed to perfection.
      Well, you are right but it did give the impression that she may have been there because she sore those clothes fantastically well especially the ridiculous clothes she wore in the desert camp.

Comment

The Night Manager

She's supposed to be eye-candy of course, and there are certainly several notable real-life examples of wealthy businessmen with similar taller, younger wives. I didn't really notice the difference when she was with Laurie TBH. Towards the end there was a middle distance shot outside the hotel in Cairo with Hiddleston, then it was noticeable. I guess it's OK to be gorgeous and taller than the villain, but not the hero.

Comment

The Night Manager

I enjoyed the production values and it was genuinely tense most of the way through. Olivia Coleman is brilliant in everything.

As for La Debicki, she looked fantastic, but I found it implausible that such a stunning, athletic, intelligent, educated woman would put up with being in a miserable situation and have to wait for a man to rescue her. Could see why she might take up with a rich man to start with, couldn't see any reason why she was stuck with him. She murmured something about being "from the Lower East Side"? She could walk into any job that involved looking good and being charming (although she might have to duck under the door).

Even more so, why would a man risk his neck to rescue her, when she'd chosen that situation and hadn't the balls or the integrity to get herself out.

Tom Hiddleston is gorgeous, first noticed him in Midnight in Paris. Loved him in this.

Comment

The Night Manager

Her back story was thin to be sure. Perhaps the book gives more detail. I was supposing she didn't realise how evil Laurie was until just prior to Natasha Little's character being exiled. She didn't seem really miserable before that, and the "attempted kidnapping."

Comment

The Night Manager

Well, she didn't know anything about the arms deals apparently before Natasha Little's character spilled the beans.

I also wonder why she couldn't have done it in her original Australian accent although, to be fair, I never knew she wasn't American. She did remind me of 80s singer, Julia Fordham.

Comment

The Night Manager

Ok, possibly she thought he was a good guy until then. It just bothered me that it seemed like a damsel in distress fantasy unsuited to such a modern woman.

Comment

The Night Manager

The author's 84, he's possibly not totally au fait with modern women.

Comment

The Night Manager

MsD wrote: She could walk into any job that involved looking good and being charming (although she might have to duck under the door).
                    That is basically what she was doing, wasn't it? Its just the payment structure was quite old-fashioned.

I've got a vague recollection from her phone calls to her mother early in the series that there was talk of a kid. If she was a single mother with her child being financially supported by Roper that would seriously constrain her ability to walk out.

Also I found nothing incongruous about a man like Roper sleeping with a Woman young enough to be his daughter. That is exactly the type of mistress I would expect someone like him to have.

Back to the show, and I believe the ratings success, which this apparently was, has prompted calls for a sequel. The story was left quite open-ended for both Pine and Roper (if they kill Roper how are they ever going to get their money back?), but surely they can't do that with any semblance of story-telling veracity. Both Pine and to an even greater extent Roper have had their cover blown. Even Burr and Steadman are likely to be at the end of their operational lives after basically mounting a rouge operation in defiance of their superiors aims. Quiet desk jobs building Dolls Houses await them both until they get bored and resign, whilst Pine and Roper (if he is still alive) need to disappear for a decade or more.

Comment

The Night Manager

Yeah, the idea of a sequel is absurd. Far better to adapt another le Carre novel (of which there are obviously an abundant number) even if a large part of the appeal of this one was the performances of the major (and many of the minor) players.

I'm struggling to understand how and why you managed to watch the whole rest of the series without seeing the first bloody episode, Bored. It just seems absurd, whole sections of the last episode especially would have been lost on you. Don't you have any kind of on demand/catch up facility for TV?

Comment

The Night Manager

This one was mostly chosen because of Hugh Laurie, apparently. He was the driving force behind getting it made, something he has been apparently trying to achieve almost ever since it was published. The success of the remake of Tinker, Tailor, plus his much higher profile after House, was the combination of factors needed. However he hasn't said if there was another Le Carre novel that excites him to the same degree.

Comment

The Night Manager

Yes, quite a few times during the series I was reminded of Laurie's own (quite decent, as I recall) stab at writing in the genre, 'The Gun Seller' and the debt it owed to le Carre.

Now that this one has been made and proven be such a success, it doesn't necessarily need the heft of Laurie himself being attached to get another one done. The BBC and their partners may decide to just copy the formula with other actors (though I am sure they would need one or two suitably starry names attached to justify the funding).

Indeed, it would be ridiculous for Laurie to take another role in a similar adaptation given how strongly he'd be identified with Roper now.

Comment

The Night Manager

Janik wrote:
                            Originally posted by MsD
                            She could walk into any job that involved looking good and being charming (although she might have to duck under the door).
                            That is basically what she was doing, wasn't it? Its just the payment structure was quite old-fashioned.

I've got a vague recollection from her phone calls to her mother early in the series that there was talk of a kid. If she was a single mother with her child being financially supported by Roper that would seriously constrain her ability to walk out.
                            She looks like a Dior catwalk model. Seriously, few women in the world look like that, and if she grew up in Manhattan she'd have been model-scouted very early or at the very least, begged to be front of house and paid well. If she turned her nose up at modelling, it wouldn't be to choose being a kept woman.

Her looks are so exceptional. If she was a run-of-the-mill beauty, it would have been more believable.

Comment

The Night Manager

It was ok.

By far the most interesting character was 'Corky'. A gay ex- Army major now in the web of Roper. Was he always a horrible little shit, or did he become one to integrate with the clique? He seemed to me highly damaged and seeing as homosexuality is accepted in the Army, but not tolerated that could be a reason.

The 'Burr' character was again interesting, but seemed a bit gritty northern sticks it to plummy establishment types schtick to me.

The whole Devon/Cornwall thing utter bollox mind.

Comment

The Night Manager

Ray de Galles wrote: I'm struggling to understand how and why you managed to watch the whole rest of the series without seeing the first bloody episode, Bored. It just seems absurd, whole sections of the last episode especially would have been lost on you. Don't you have any kind of on demand/catch up facility for TV?.
                                Rather ludicrously, by the time the second episode came around, you couldn't watch the first on I-player. There were bits that made me wish I had seen the first episode and would still like to. Indeed, I would like to read the book as well.

Comment

The Night Manager

Are you sure about that? I think the first episode was available for around a month on iplayer.

I recall Wingco made a comment on Facebook about it coming off the platform when there were still a couple of episodes left and everything from episode 4 is still available there now.

I've been sitting on a copy of the book for a year or so as I didn't want to read it prior to seeing the adaptation so worked my way through some other Le Carrés I hadn't got to instead. I finally started it at the weekend.

Comment

The Night Manager

I paid to watch it on Amazon Prime - speed watched it in two sittings. Enjoyable hokum - beautifully shot but increasingly implausible. *Spoiler alert* Pity about Corky - he would have been worth a series of his own.

Comment

The Night Manager

Hollander's almost always the best thing in whatever he does. We watched Doctor Thorne back to back with The Night Manager over it's three weeks. He was every bit as good in as different a role as you could imagine.

Comment

The Night Manager

Watched in hope of it being something good, it never really rises above a 7/10.

Laurie good, Hollander very good, not the best thing Hiddleston will ever do. Coleman's heavily-pregnant professional-assassin-shooting thing didn't really do it for me. Hare's American accent sounded like the one's we used to do when playing Starsky & Hutch.

6/10

Comment

The Night Manager

Ray de Galles wrote: Are you sure about that? I think the first episode was available for around a month on iplayer.

I recall Wingco made a comment on Facebook about it coming off the platform when there were still a couple of episodes left and everything from episode 4 is still available there now.
                                          In thinking about it, perhaps I started watching it when episode 4 or even 5 was airing. I think we watched the whole of the series in two weeks and watched the last one live so that makes more sense.

I've been sitting on a copy of the book for a year or so as I didn't want to read it prior to seeing the adaptation so worked my way through some other Le Carrés I hadn't got to instead. I finally started it at the weekend.
                                          Oh, I'll borrow that off you after then. Do you prefer reading the book after a film/TV adaptation?

Comment

The Night Manager

This business of them removing episodes is getting annoying: last night I sat down to finally catch up on the last 4 of Trapped and the 1st 2 (7&8) had expired.

I knew things lapsed off iplayer, but these (I thought) had been downloaded to my harddrive. No, siree- they were 'on demand', therefore just as temporary. Grr.

Comment

The Night Manager

Bordeaux Education wrote:

Oh, I'll borrow that off you after then. Do you prefer reading the book after a film/TV adaptation?
                                              I don't have a fixed opinion really, if I know there's an adaptation of a certain book in the offing and I have other options I'm interested in reading then it will go to the bottom of the pile.

Comment

The Night Manager

Interesting. I almost always go for the book first and then the film/TV adaptation (hence me still not seeing a couple of films that I have the book to read). Having said that, doing it the reverse way around didn't spoilt "Papillon", "The Godfather" and "Jaws"

Comment

The Night Manager

Oh good, no sequel.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X