Johan Cruijff RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johan Cruijff RIP

Only saw the great man play the once (ie, at the game), and that was in the NASL in 1980, for the Washington Diplomats.

Yeah, okay, I know that this was in the twilight of his playing career, and in a lower-level league, but Cruyff was still worth many times the admission price, and - inevitably - scored the winning goal that afternoon.

I'm glad I was of sufficient age to watch and appreciate some of his European Cup performances (especially the final of 1972), as well as all of the 1974 World Cup.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

My favourite player ever with possibly the greatest player ever:

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

(I think that URL has disappeared into my neighbour's garage...)

Ha - thankfully amended. Good pic, too.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

Dam just now.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

That's a good question: "greatest Dutchman of the 20th century?"

Well, I'm struggling.

Lely?

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

wasn't the answer pim fortuyn?

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

"You can't eat steak in a fish restaurant."

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

george clarts wrote:

Dam just now.
                  Flags in the Netherlands were already at half mast for the events in Belgium.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

Logan Mountstuart wrote: That's a good question: "greatest Dutchman of the 20th century?"

Well, I'm struggling.

Lely?
                    Willem Drees, maybe.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

2016's just been a big pile of shit so far...

There really isn't anything I can add, other people (Flynnie especially) have put it better than I ever could.

RIP.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

super furry dice wrote

never saw him play but do i count myself as really lucky to have been at wembley when the barcelona side he managed, beat sampdoria to win the european cup back in 1992.
                        Snap. I went to that final almost on a whim, having been offered two tickets for it in a pub the night before. By a complete stranger. At face value. That wouldn't happen nowadays.

I don't really recall "seeing" Cruyff that night. I should have paid more attention to the benches.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

Cruijff's debut against GVAV (of Groningen), 15th November 1964. GVAV 3-1 Ajax. Interestingly, these photographs only came to light very recently. It was thought that no photos had existed of his debut

And his last match Feyenoord v PEC Zwolle, 13th May 1984. Feyenoord 2- 1 PEC. Johnny Rep in the background.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

In the suit with his arm around Laudrup

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

I must admit that I find this a very interesting exercise in how your fondness for a player is almost entirely a function of when you first encountered them.

I must admit that I never saw cruyff play, and didn't get to see very much of his teams playing until pretty much a couple of games in the last 12 months of his career. It's clear though from the tenor of all the tributes I've read about him in various places, that he meant an awful lot to those that did, in a way that few other players have.

But I've only ever really encountered him from 1994 on, and if you only start paying attention to him at that point, your experience of him is basically that he was he was Jordi Cruyff's angry dad, who spent his time fighting with an inexhaustible list of enemies, and leading crusades against enemies in the boardrooms of the clubs he had been involved in, that seemed as much designed to promote his own position in those club's history as much as achieving anything.

now it's very clear that he was both those things, but I've only seen one part of it. which is weird when you encounter many tributes that dwell almost entirely on the period of time before you became aware of him.

I suppose I struggle to think of Michel Platini as anything other than a bent football administrator, or Pele as anything other than a shill. These were truly great players, but I never saw them play so that side of things is completely abstract. In much the same way that every man utd fan under 25 probably primarily thinks of eric Cantona as some guy who does kronenburg commercials.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

and Roy Keane like this

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

It would be great if that were true, but sadly for Big Dave it's more likely to be "the cranky one on itv's match coverage". You have to be at least 20 to have more than a dim memory of him having been a player.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

Ah, you'd have liked Platini as a player. He almost won France the 1984 Euros single-handed, in the same way Diego Maradona did for Argentina at Mexico '86. Tragedy the two didn't meet in that final (bloody Germans spoiling the script again).

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

It's easier than at any previous point in the history of the sport to go back and find out what a bygone-era player performed like. Almost anything is on YouTube and/or DVD.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

My first memories of playground football, in the tennis courts, with a tennis ball, we were all Dutch players. I was never good enough to be The Man himself. I would usually by Johnny Rep.

But Cruyff was our first big idol, being a bit young for Pele. And like others have said, 74 was the first World Cup that was more than just a sticker book. I was also privileged enough to watch his compatriot Koeman score the winning goal as his wonderful side clinched Barça's first European Cup.

This is crap news. RIP

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

Just reading Hugh McIlvanney on the Dutch in 1974- "an attacking style at once so spirited and so cuttingly precise that the effect is of a cavalry charge of surgeons."

MacIlvanney really does have a way with words.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

It's easier than at any previous point in the history of the sport to go back and find out what a bygone-era player performed like. Almost anything is on YouTube and/or DVD.

It's still nothing like watching them at the time, and seeing a player show you how good he actually is. And I watched the extended ireland of France losing 3-2 to ireland, and to be honest, all I could see was a lot of terrible football, with france making a whole heap of hilarious basic errors. It just wasn't very good.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

But we see incredibly shit games today too.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

yes, but they were really really bad. Lots of kicking passes over the sideline, and dropping back passes hilariously short.

at least the shit games that are happening now, are happening live. and when we're talking about players like this, we're usually talking about players who made a huge impression on us when we were young. When I was 8 the 1987 FA cup final was the greatest thing I'd ever seen. It really doesn't stand up to repeated viewing.

but it's the same for gaelic football, hurling or rugby. And I'm sure it's the same for other sports too.

But I'm pretty sure that football now is going to pretty amateurish in 10 years time, and like a backwards joke in 20 years time, and in 30 years time people who are 10 years old now, will have to explain why messi was amazing, to their 10 year old, because everyone will be playing like that then.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

antoine polus wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart
                                                  That's a good question: "greatest Dutchman of the 20th century?"

Well, I'm struggling.

Lely?
                                                  Willem Drees, maybe.
                                                  Piet Mondriaan?

Maybe Rem Koolhaas in a few years.

Comment

Johan Cruijff RIP

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                                                    at least the shit games that are happening now, are happening live.
                                                    Yes, the one thing you can say about games now is that they are taking place in the present.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X