Pitiful relegation stats question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking from behind the settee at the Premier League table earlier, I found myself wondering whether any club has previously been relegated having scored fewer goals than the number of defeats suffered during the season? Or is this yet another area in which Villa lead the way for others to follow? At the moment we've lost 21 with seven games to go, of which the optimist in me thinks we might only lose four, though it will probably be much nearer to seven in reality. And we've scored a mighty 22 goals, rattling in five already this year in only twelve league games. So to paraphrase the Duke of Wellington, it looks like it might be a damned close-run thing.

The go-to answers here are always Sunderland in 2006 and Derby in 2008, and rest assured yes, they will surpass any records that may be set this year. Sunderland lost 29 games and only scored 26 goals, while Derby lost a similar number of games and only troubled the scorers 20 times.

Comment

Also, Sunderland in 2003. 27 games lost, 21 goals scored.

Comment

Going back a bit further, Stoke scored only 24 goals in 1984/5 and lost 31 games (in a 42 game season).

Comment

Back a bit further, Stoke City in 1984-85 lost 31 games, and only scored 24 times. That was in a 42-game season, so I don't know if that makes it comparatively better or worse.

(Edit : Central rain and I are on the same wavelength, here!)

Comment

I assume you haven't just ordered a curry as well?

Comment

Different country, but last year Crucero del Norte were relegated in Argentina having lost 22 games (out of 30) and scored 21 goals.

Comment

Er ... just finished one ... (well I say finished, I'm going to have what's left over for breakfast tomorrow)

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Er ... just finished one ... (well I say finished, I'm going to have what's left over for breakfast tomorrow)
                  Yeah, I've ordered way too much but that's minimum delivery orders for you.

Comment

The past definitely was a different place. In 1914-15, the last season before the Great War, Spurs finished rock bottom of the table despite scoring 57 goals in 38 games. Okay, they let in 90, but no wonder football was rapidly becoming the spectator sport of choice at the time.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: The past definitely was a different place. In 1914-15, the last season before the Great War, Spurs finished rock bottom of the table despite scoring 57 goals in 38 games. Okay, they let in 90, but no wonder football was rapidly becoming the spectator sport of choice at the time.
                      And happily for them, Div 2's 5th placed Arsenal were promoted in their place after the war. Although no bribery was involved by the Arsenal chairman later found guilty of bribery.

Comment

Working...
                      X