No announcement yet.

The animated films thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't seen Zootopia but any film that can make humor out of dealing with the DMV gets my vote. As any resident of the USA will testify dealing with the DMV is an absolute horror, as much fun as appendicitis.

Comment

Zootopia is a very worthwhile watch.

Comment

Bit late to this but Coco is absolutely wonderful, a real return to form for Pixar after a fairly patchy decade (Inside Out excepted).

Comment

Yup. Looks amazing in 4K too.

Comment

Saturday night I went with Mrs Thistle to see Ralph Breaks the Internet, the sequel to Wreck-It Ralph.

It was very enjoyable. As a Disney movie it pokes fun at a lot of Disney-owned things, including an extended sequence with all the Disney Princesses. They send up the 'heroine sings about her dreams' trope with a hilarious song set in a GTA style game.

The conceptualisation of the Internet, lots of little people zooming around in browser cars to different locations. It's fun looking at the background locations, particularly down in the seedier parts of the web where things lurk in the ruins of old dial up relicts.

There are two scenes in the credits, one a little bit in and one right at the end. They're both worth waiting for.

Comment

Does 'Isle of Dogs' count? Then that - it's fucking awesome.

Comment

I found Wreck-It Ralph fairly enjoyable while I was watching it, but also completely forgettable.

Comment

I watched Frozen again yesterday as an unchallenging change of pace. The oral history of that is interesting. It started as a version of HCA’s “The Snow Queen” in the 30s and got kicked around Disney for 80 years before they ended up with what they did and even then, it wasn’t until very late in the development that they figured out that the key was to make Elsa a sympathetic character and make it about the relationship between the sisters rather than the standard romance. I’m sure “Let if Go” is one of the most perfect showtunes ever written. I’m not generally a showtune fan, but it’s almost - or maybe completely - mathematical in its ability to precisely hit all the buttons necessary to sell the absolute maximum volume of DVDs and merch to parents of eight-year-old girls.

Comment

You could also apply that last sentence to the greatest showman soundtrack. By all accounts, a poor film made successful by its songs.

Comment

My wife took 9 seven year olds to see Ralph 2 for child number 2’s birthday yesterday. I won the coin toss and stayed home with the other three watching Hey Duggee on the iPlayer.

Her verdict on the film was “fine”. But she was under a lot of stress so I’m taking that as a good review.

Comment

I've just watched the last third of 'Up' on TV. Damn, that's a fine film. I reckon it's the last truly great Pixar film. Nothing since then has come close.

Comment

Agreed. Apart from Inside Out most of what they have done since has been sequels, which shows a bit of a lack of imagination.

Comment

Inside Out was very good, and gets better on repeated viewings, but I got a sense they were trying to make an emotional impact and wrote the story to make it. Whereas in Up it felt like the story came first and the emotional impact came from it. Not sure that's really true, but that's how I felt about it.

Inside Out does have one of the best throwaway jokes in any Pixar movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              I've just watched the last third of 'Up' on TV. Damn, that's a fine film. I reckon it's the last truly great Pixar film. Nothing since then has come close.
                              Blimey, I feel completely the opposite about "Up", to me it's an absolutely incredible 10 minute short attached to a 70 minute mediocre sub-Dreamworks animated film.

For me, Inside Out, Toy Story 3 and Coco are all much, much better than Up.

Comment

Really? The bit at the end when he reads the adventure book and finds the message from Ellie? How he has to let go of the house? When he pins the bottle cap on Russell? Those three scenes give me lumpy throat.

(The dogs in fighter planes bit is a tad stupid, mind.)

Comment

I would have enjoyed Coco more if I hadn't spent the whole film feeling like they'd ripped off The Book of Life.

Also I read an interesting piece by a Hispanic writer who said both films couldn't count as cultural appropriation because the Day of the Dead they depict was something almost entirely made up.

Comment

Ralph Breaks the Internet - ** Inferior to the original, too busy with a really thin plot, and a bit at the end that I found really visually unpleasant/disturbing. The emotional heft feels too obvious, like it was pasted on. Too much product placement, even though they wink about it. The original I think is one of the most underrated Disney movies of recent years, and I was really disappointed by this.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - **** I had to take my daughter to the bathroom during the part where the multi-verses was introduced, so maybe I missed an explanation about that, but the main conceit about multiple universes, all with their own Spider-heroes seemed kind of thin, but good lord, it doesn't matter. What a feast for the eyes. The art is dazzling, I didn't even care about not being much of a Spider-Man fan. The different styles not only of the different characters but sometimes even in the same scenes may grow old on repeat viewings, but watching it for the first time I was blown away. You don't see major movies like this willing to try so many different things all that often, and especially not pulling it off like they do here.

Comment

My top 5

1. The original Jungle Book
                                      2. Mary and Max
                                      3. 9
                                      4. Up
                                      5. Wall-E

Comment

Short Hungarian Stop frame animation about a world of human beans

Comment

I searched for a Pixar thread on Google and on here, and this seemed the most appropriate.

Why do I feel as though this version of Buzz Lightyear - due to appear June 2022 in a standalone film - cheered when Kyle Rittenhouse was cleared of all charges?

Edit: Meh. Picture upload isn't working. I'll try again in a minute.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Well, that wasn't what I wanted to do.

Comment

Comment

That's not the vibe I got at all.

The second trailer is out.

Comment

Working...
                                                X