The Thames Path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Thames Path

Shock horror there was a hill on today's walk from Cholsey to Shiplake. It was a mile or two before Pangbourne but it soon returned to more flat riverbank. I'm currently 80ft above sea level with another 50 miles until the tidal Thames at Teddington.

Comment

The Thames Path

Another day on the trail and 19 miles from Shiplake to Maidenhead in 7.5 hours. The tedium is broken by "and a 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8" in a loud plummy accent as another group of rowers pass me. It would appear that Henley is to rowing what Newmarket is to horse racing and Wigan is to rugby league. I'm still resisting the urge to push the bloke with a loud hailer on a bike encouraging the rowers into the water.

Comment

The Thames Path

Where are you staying in Maido?

Comment

The Thames Path

Yep, Maido for a second night. Tomorrow is 20 miles to Chertsey, a town I have never been near, to, or met anybody from.

Comment

The Thames Path

I worked in Chertsey for a few years. Quiet, has a ruined abbey thingy. Enjoy Runnymede.

Comment

The Thames Path

Today has been a walk through history. I went under the flatest, widest brick bridge in the World built by Brunel over 150 years ago. Then it was Eton Dorney for the Olympic rowing venue, Windsor for the castle, rowing, gents school and two competing rail companies, one coming in from the north (GWR) and one from the south (Southern). Then Old Windsor, Runneymeade 1215 (although I walked through at 1230 and missed the lot), Staines and then the old town of Chertsey. Oh and I had two thunderstorms which had me sheltering in two different pubs, a real hardship I can asure you.

Twenty miles tomorrow to Kew but after 12 miles the Thames does something significant. It becomes tidal.

Comment

The Thames Path

This is a very evocative thread Paul, when one has lived in Sydney for nearly 18 years. My Dad was born in a street right next to the river at Staines Bridge.

Comment

The Thames Path

Yesterday I went over Staines Bridge from Egham to Staines. I then turned right and sheltered from one of the thunderstorms in a pub right next to the bridge. I was also accompanied yesterday by the Devizes to Westminster canoe race.

Comment

The Thames Path

I have passed the last locks on the Thames and am now walking at sea level. I was supposed to finish at Kew Bridge today but I went on to Barnes Bridge to reduce the distance tomorrow. Lots of pounding on riverside banks but tomorrow will be even worse as it will be virtually all made path.

Thames barrier here I come!

Comment

The Thames Path

Where are you expecting to finish up tomorrow, Paul?

Comment

The Thames Path

The Thames path finishes at the Thames barrier, after which I travel back to my home in Essex.

Comment

The Thames Path

How long before you finish at the barrier Paul? Good luck with the rest of your walk.

Comment

The Thames Path

Well I've done it, but boy was that hard work! I started at 7am this morning from Barnes Bridge, not stopping for breakfast / brunch until I got to the a cafe just off Lambeth Palace Road. It had been quiet up until then but Lambeth Bridge to Tower Bridge was heaving with tourists who then gradually disappeared as I go further east of Tower Bridge. Tower Bridge going into Greenwich was a nightmare wandering around back streets, but Greenwich to North Greenwich and to the Thames Barrier was very enjoyable.

I'm home now and my feet ache like anything. That was my 13th long distance path but also one of the hardest, the lack of hills just killing me. Also, I did Offa's Dyke - 177 miles - in 12 days. The Thames Path is 188 miles and I did it in just nine days, so draw your own conclusions.

A great path, but not one for the faint hearted!

Comment

The Thames Path

Congratulations, Paul, and thanks for the regular updates, which have made interesting reading.

Comment

The Thames Path

The walk from Deptford onwards is lovely, it's amazing how much the river meanders, you get a sense of that by your position in relation to the buildings in Canary Wharf. I hope Ginger Yellow treated you to a tea from Waitrose.

Comment

The Thames Path

Well done Paul.

Comment

The Thames Path

Yeah, great thread and achievement Paul.

Comment

The Thames Path

Well done Paul, and thanks for the running (sic) commentary.

Very enjoyable.

Comment

The Thames Path

I did think of doing something like BB&F but that would have meant carrying an ipad and sitting there uploading photograph's which I just don't have the energy to do after a days walking. I'm back at work this morning and feeling dead to the World. In fact, I could do with a holiday to get over my holiday such is the way I feel right now!

Comment

The Thames Path

I'm thinking of walking the Thames path from Oxford to Windsor over 3 days during half-term. It's just under 90 miles, is that doable or would I be pushing too much for it to be enjoyable?

Comment

The Thames Path

Are you sure it is that far? 90 miles seems a lot?

I walked the lot of it in five days a few years ago.

It is very easy walking, so up to 30 miles a day wouldn't be too challenging.

The issue I had was that it does get a bit monotonous doing so many miles consecutively. It is flat walking, alongside a river, so it did get a bit tedious.

It may be better to do mix it in with another local walk like the Ridgeway.

Comment

The Thames Path

steveeeeeeeee wrote: I'm thinking of walking the Thames path from Oxford to Windsor over 3 days during half-term. It's just under 90 miles, is that doable or would I be pushing too much for it to be enjoyable?
                                              It's 73 miles according to this website.. Easily doable but also quite tedious as well. If you do it, try staying in a Travelodge or premier inn somewhere central like Reading and use the train to get to/from the start and finish points. That way you just carry a day pack as it will cut out the weight you carry. Mixing it with the Ridgeway is a good idea. Or why not just do the Ridgeway? At 87 miles you could do it in a week.

Comment

The Thames Path

The Ridgeway looks more interesting, might plan that instead.

Comment

The Thames Path

I did The Rdigeway in 2013 so let me know if you have any questions. It's very good and the finish at Ivinghoe Beacon is surprisingly good.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X