Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's an honour just to be denominated ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know why the discontinued euro notes remain legal tender forever? Would it have to be decided by national governments or something? Especially with the money launderer's favourite EUR 500 note, it rather seems to undermine the policy behind withdrawing them.

Comment

Just a wild, stereotypical guess but would it be the PIGS thinking that they have large chunks of population who don't put money in the bank?

Comment

Most likely a desire to avoid stories about how pensioners' mattress stashes were "suddenly" found to be worthless.

This was a big part of the changeover to the Euro in both Germany and Italy (and likely elsewhere), pushed by the likes of Bild as a major problem that needed to be addressed.

What happened in that case was that the number of places where one could exchange old notes were progressively reduced over time (I think that it is only the ECB right now, at least in Germany). Following that lead in this case would help with the 500 EUR crowd.

Comment

Here's the plastic tenner:

Comment

With a quote on it from a character pretending to like books to get close to someone

Comment

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/stat...96769371652097

Comment

She's being recognised more and more

Comment

The tenner is out there. Who'll be the first OTFer to get one?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                    The tenner is out there. Who'll be the first OTFer to get one?
                    No one? Or are they so common now that it doesn't seem worth commenting on? The latter, I guess, as they will be stocking cash machines with them so they will 'out there' much quicker than the fivers were. Anyway, I had some on Saturday morning for what it's worth.

Comment

None yet for me. Though I do have a staggering number of new one pound coins.

Comment

Three days of selling at the weekend and not one new tenner. Tch.

Comment

One of the students at work was showing one off today

Comment

Got one!

Comment

Just got my first Jane in change with a Class Warrior. Double plastic...

Comment

Ditto... spent it pretty bloody sharpish though, I was ravenous and there was a Greggs just across the road.

Comment

Today must be the day, Mrs D returned from town with a wad of them from the cashpoint outside Sainsbury's. She wanted £20 notes, so made 2 withdrawals for two lots of tenners.

Comment

Got five out of a cash machine this morning and enjoyed the fact that the serial numbers were sequential.

Comment

I got one from a machine today and my first thought was that I'd get to post here before anyone else. So much for that.

I've spent mine already but am I imagining Braille on the £10? Top left corner. And if it's on the £10 why isn't it on the £5?

Comment

Yes, it is Braille and it simply says "10". I believe the reasoning as to why it's not on the fiver is that you know if it's got no Braille on it, it's the fiver.

Comment

The Bank of Canada unveiled the new $10 bill today honoring 'Canada's Rosa Parks', Viola Desmond. It's a lovely bill, all see-thru and plastic, as we seems to likes 'em.

But it's also...vertical.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...iled-1.4567290

Comment

So are Swiss francs:

Comment

Ooh. Want one.

Comment

Just been to Mauritius, where the currency is not as attractive as the surroundings. It does at least reflect a multicultural society:

Comment

Multicultural, but apparently monogendered.

Comment

Touché.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X