Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's an honour just to be denominated ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

christ they're horrible. both aesthetically and morally.

Comment

Quite

Is the lurid shade of blue some kind of security feature?

Comment

It should be Attlee on the back of the £5 note.

Comment

I think they'd look better without the big black writing across the middle. Schoolboy error, that.

Comment

And why is New Fiver capitalised?

Comment

Just to prepare those of you with a low tolerance for predictable bullshit; the week the money comes out, you'll be subjected to all manner of news stories about the money being easily washed, shredded, bent, broken, burned and counterfeited.

Prepare for close-ups of gormless looking blokes in pubs with fivers torn in half with the caption "I just set me beer glass down on it for a moment, and it fell apart. It's all junk." and "I walked too near the microwave and it burst into flames. I could have been killed."

Mark my words...

Comment

I'm looking forward to plastic notes after using them in Canada. They're great.

Comment

The only problem with plastic notes is that it will mean the end of the "sad Brenda, happy Brenda" trick.

Comment

We will discover new tricks, Toby. Have faith!

Comment

It's plastic money day! Has anyone got their hands on a new fiver yet?

Comment

First time I've seen this thread, and am surprised (no, not really) that the English meejah are reporting this as new, exciting and controversial - N.Ireland and Scotland have had plastic bankotes for years, it's just taken the Anglo-Saxons and their Welsh cousins a while to catch up.

Comment

Really? I was reading something just yesterday that claimed Clydesdale was going to be the first Scottish bank to print polymer notes in a month or so.

Comment

First entirely polymer note, maybe. But Clydesdale notes have had polymer windows in them for going on 3 years now.

Northern Bank brought out their first plastic banknotes in the late 90s.

Comment

So the image of the mass murderer of 3 million Bengalis is now in general circulation. Another proud moment for this septic isle.

Comment

Pounds should feature images of the following:

Silhouette James Bond shooting at the apature thingy
                                Macbeth and Lady
                                Mary Poppins
                                Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Got my first placcy fiver this morning.

Am I the OTF winner?

Comment

Nocturnal Submission wrote: Got my first placcy fiver this morning.

Am I the OTF winner?
                                    Got a couple on Sunday in change for my Scottish twenties.

dbt, rather than "not glowing" under the UV light, they've got luminous stripes and nystic sigils in them.

(The Clydesdale notes that is)

Comment

Wasn't Nystic Sigils a character in Hitchhiker's Guide?

Comment

Nocturnal Submission wrote: Got my first placcy fiver this morning.

Am I the OTF winner?
                                        I got two on Monday.

They really are designed to be kept in a wallet or purse IMO - if you leave one in your pocket for a day or two they end up in the most bizarre shapes but unlike the old ones you can't flatten them back out easily.

Comment

Still not even seen one yet. It's getting to the point where I'm engineering transactions to get fivers in change.

Comment

Nocturnal Submission wrote: Wasn't Nystic Sigils a character in Hitchhiker's Guide?
                                            Sounds more like a Terry Pratchett character tbh.

Comment

3 Colours Red wrote: They really are designed to be kept in a wallet or purse IMO - if you leave one in your pocket for a day or two they end up in the most bizarre shapes but unlike the old ones you can't flatten them back out easily.
                                              This is worrying - I haven't had a full size wallet for years, using a card holder instead, and plenty of other people seem to have adopted the same approach.

I sense the hidden hand of Big Big Wallet behind this so-called progress.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: Still not even seen one yet. It's getting to the point where I'm engineering transactions to get fivers in change.
                                                I got two out of the cashpoint the other day; presumably an attempt to get them into circulation quickly.

Comment

I haven't been to the cashpoint for a while. Took a load of money out a while back to pay a workman, but ended up doing a bank transfer instead, so I've been trying to get fiver change out of my 20s.

Comment

Well, that's the thing. I got £20 out to pay for some bits and pieces for dinner, expecting a twenty or two tens, when I got a ten and two fives. It's the first time in forever that I've had fivers out of the cashpoint, so it struck me as odd.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X