X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distorted Vision: 20/20 World Cup

Group 1: Sri Lanka, South Africa, West Indies, England, Afghanistan
    Group 2: India, Pakistan, Australia, New Zealand, Bangladesh

So the sock, thwack, kapow tournament begins tomorrow. Difficult to see beyond the host nation winning it, but in such a short format, I suppose anything can happen. Looking forward to India v Pakistan, hopefully the rains which ruined the weekends play will have moved away from Dharamsala by Saturday.

India v Pakistan has been moved to Kolkota as there were problems with security in Dharamsala.

Comment

Of course it has. Trying to concentrate at work and starting a thread obviously beyond my capabilities. Thanks for the correction SZ.

Comment

It's not cricket, but it is a lot of fun. It's cricket's version of rugby sevens. I hope too that either Afghanistan or Bangladesh cause an upset, as has happened in previous versions, so as to make sure the ICC don't try and close the door again to all the associate members (for this, and future World Cups).

Comment

It may be the opposite, it's been Ireland and Kenya knocking out rich countries before the knock-out stages in the past that has led to the ICC trying to close the door.

India are nothing special, their batting is good at home, but their pace bowling is very inexperienced. They could win, and I wouldn't argue against them being favourites, but any of seven teams could win it if things click for them. (Pakistan, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka don't have the batting)

Comment

Given Bangladesh made the final of the Asia cup a few weeks ago, I'm not sure any victory of theirs could truly be described as an upset. They were the hosts of that tournament though.

Comment

I see there's a couple of players in the parallel women's tournament who were born in the 21st century.

Nadia Akter (Bangladesh) - March 2000
              Gaby Lewis (Ireland) - March 2001

Comment

Lewis is the third generation of her family to play for Ireland, and the 2nd youngest international cricketer of all-time:

https://in.news.yahoo.com/13-old-gaby-lewis-becomes-064119831.html

http://www.foxsports.com.au/news/teenager-gaby-lewis-becomes-first-international-cricketer-to-be-born-in-21st-century/news-story/be884649721b5de0d04888bf5baf81a6?from=public_rss&u tm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed&nk=4aaddb 7ddeb2ec97837509d81337e343-1458047588

Comment

Ashish Nehra's still playing. Blimey. And picked up a wicket. New Zealand hitting sixes and getting out and doing not much inbetween so far.

Comment

And now a stumping.

I wonder if the two finalists might be in this group (India, Aus), with everyone else playing for losing semi status. England's opener v WI looks like a "must win".

Nehra 37 next month, back in the side after 5 years purely on IPL form.

Comment

That was pretty hapless from New Zealand. You expect more from them. India to win by the 14th over.

Comment

Hmm. This looks interesting now. If only I had a way to watch this... *cough*

Comment

India 39/5. Pressure now on.

Comment

Yeah don't take betting tips off me

Comment

All over: India 79 all out.

Comment

India have lost all five T20I they have played against New Zealand.

Comment

Let's hope this augurs well for a fun, unpredictable tournament.

Comment

Ahahahaha.

Comment

Great game today. Excellent entertainment. And the cojones on New Zealand, to leave out Boult and Southee and have the decision pay off in spades.

Tomorrow will be interesting. England's problem across all formats is that they have a few matchwinners and a number of very ordinary players. T20 is the format where that should matter least - if the matchwinners fire.

As a Hampshire supporter, I am as baffled by the lack of James Vince in the predicted first XI as I am by the inclusion of Liam Dawson in the squad. I've seen Dawson many more times than Trevor Bayliss has, and while I love him dearly, an international all-rounder he is not.

Comment

Spotters badge tomorrow to anyone who hears a commentator bemoaning the absence of James Taylor, as if nurdling singles at a strike rate of around 80 would help in this format.

Comment

Pakistan laying waste to Bangladesh's bowling it seems. Set fair for a total well in excess of 200

Comment

Not well in excess in the end thanks to a couple of late wickets, but 201, all the same. Will be very hard for Bangladesh to get close to that

Comment

Bangladesh need 68 off the last over. We need some serious overstepping here

Comment

Pakistan win by 55. So much for their weak batting. Sounds like they both batted and bowled superbly in this game.

Comment

Notwithstanding my primary allegiance to the Windies, I must admit to harbouring a hope that Pakistan respond to the Hindu nationalist nonsense surrounding this tournament by winning the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X