New Top Gear: Same as the old Top Gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toby Gymshorts wrote: Vote Gymshorts for mayor.
    Only if you emulate your predecessor by taking part in an England vs. Germany charity football match and head-butting Lothar Matthäus in the bollocks.

Comment

I'll happily headbutt Lothar Matthäus AND Boris in the bollocks. Is that a pledge? I think it is.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: I'll happily headbutt Lothar Matthäus AND Boris in the bollocks. Is that a pledge? I think it is.
        You'll also have to crush a little kid half to death while proving how shit you are at rugby.

I suggest George Windsor. I'm sure his great-grandfather would approve of such character-building measures, even if nobody else would.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: I'll happily headbutt Lothar Matthäus AND Boris in the bollocks. Is that a pledge? I think it is.
          Wasn't it Maurizio Gaudino he actually brought down?

Comment

I'll headbutt all three of them if that's what it takes.

Comment

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote:
              Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts
              I'll happily headbutt Lothar Matthäus AND Boris in the bollocks. Is that a pledge? I think it is.
              Yes, but I like Gaudino, so I don't want Toby Gymshorts to do him again.

Comment

Chris Evans is probably the most annoying human being in the world.

Comment

TBH, it'd been predictable crap for a good few years. Give the new lot time to bed in. The German lass has proved in past appearances she can hold her own, like to see more of her.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                    Originally posted by Trois Fois Un Rouge
                    Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts
                    Yes, but I like Gaudino, so I don't want Toby Gymshorts to do him again.
                    Actually, on the car theme, I could tell you where to get a top of the range BMW at a very reasonable price, no questions asked.

Comment

Chris Evans was very shouty.

I think that was the first time I've seen him on telly.

Comment

Chris Evans has a particular style doesn't he? "HERE I AM LOUDLY TALKING ABOUT THE VIVID IDEA I'M HAVING RIGHT NOW, AND HERE'S THE NEXT IDEA."

Maybe it works better on radio. Maybe.

Comment

Evans has always been an insufferable self-centred shouty wanker though - he's the reason I won't watch this even though 1) old (and old-old before that) Top Gear was a guilty pleasure, and 2) I like Matt LeBlanc, Sabine Schmitz and Eddie Jordan just fine and will watch them in anything else.

Evans has been the same loud, obnoxious, can't-bear-to-see-anyone-else-getting-attention cunt since he was on Big Breakfast - he's the one thing about 90s popular UK culture that just won't fuck off, and he's long been the thing that most needs to fuck off.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: Chris Evans has a particular style doesn't he? "HERE I AM LOUDLY TALKING ABOUT THE VIVID IDEA I'M HAVING RIGHT NOW, AND HERE'S THE NEXT IDEA."

Maybe it works better on radio. Maybe.
                            On top of the shoutiness, he also has a very annoying voice. I cannot imagine how that works on radio. Though on radio one doesn't have to see that face...

Comment

I lot of people I know changed their minds about Evans after his Second Coming as Wogan´s successor on R2, convinced that he´s matured and generally quietened down.

I´m not so sure.

Comment

His R2 stuff was precisely that.

TBH, his presenting in studio for the first show was too TFI Friday like, and felt like he was trying to whip up an atmosphere in the studio. But then Clarkson did that for a while, too.

Comment

Tony C wrote: I lot of people I know changed their minds about Evans after his Second Coming as Wogan´s successor on R2, convinced that he´s matured and generally quietened down.
                                  I´m not so sure.
                                  He does work better on radio, as it mostly removes the necessity to "whip up" the audience (as seen to an extent on The One Show, let alone Top Gear) and instead he can be a lot more natural. His previous, drivetime show, which Radio 2 took him on for c. 2008 to bring him back from the broadcasting wilderness, was the thing that really showed that 'maturer' side. He wouldn't have got the breakfast gig, certainly not as Wogan's successor, without that.

There's still loud and excitable bits now, but he's generally very good, gets some fine guests on and does good interviews, really engages with people doing the 'Pause For Thought' type stuff whether it be whatsername off Gogglebox or Archbishop John Sentamu, is especially good when he has cooks or chefs on as he's evidently a massive foodie, and is always brilliant with kids when they phone in. He clearly puts heart and soul into causes like the '500 Words' children's story-writing competition his show has run for the past two or three years, which has just had 125,000-odd entries for this year's and is a pretty unimpeachable thing to be championing.

Comment

One thing that bugs me is when he offers 'experience' prizes (like come and eat food cooked by top chefs in my pub and then drive my expensive sports star) for children in need it's always in an auction.

So if you don't have 200 grand to spare to give to charidee then you can't do the stuff he ends up going on and on and on about how fab its going to be.

Makes him unlistenable to until the charity season is over.

Comment

Enjoyed tonight's offering, particularly Seasick Steve.

Comment

You're one of a dwindling number.

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: One thing that bugs me is when he offers 'experience' prizes (like come and eat food cooked by top chefs in my pub and then drive my expensive sports star) for children in need it's always in an auction.

So if you don't have 200 grand to spare to give to charidee then you can't do the stuff he ends up going on and on and on about how fab its going to be.

Makes him unlistenable to until the charity season is over.
                                          But that's a legacy from Wogan.

And it's not nearly as nauseating as when Seamus Android II was doing it.

Comment

Well, that didn't take long, did it?

Comment

Good riddance. I may start watching it again now that bellend won't be in it.

Comment

Though LeBlanc is the favourite to take over . . .

Comment

That's fine - LeBlanc actually comes across as pretty likeable in this context, and unlike Evans doesn't need to shout other people down and constantly be the centre of attention.

Comment

New series back. Changed studio, changed format. Much, much better.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X