New Top Gear: Same as the old Top Gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations to the production team and the new cast of this wonderful programme for carrying on in the bold tradition of Messrs Clarkson, May, and Hammond.

Assuming the new version can't be any worse than Clarkson and his gimps were, the real interest in this story is the suggestion that the new lot aren't going to be indulged as valiant defenders of traditional British banter, an important bulwark against PC-gone-mad, etc. Arbitrary media about face, ahoy!

Comment

At least the old lot had to actually broadcast their fuckwittery on telly to offend loads of people - the new lineup seems to have short-circuited the process.

Comment

All these people taking offence at a car driving near the Cenotaph. It's political correctness gone mad.

Comment

The old lot used to abuse foreigners and threaten to renew international conflicts in the interests of titillating their core moronic xenophobe viewers.

The new lot have already caused outrage among their core moronic xenophobe viewers by speeding up and down Whitehall (and yes, the cenotaph is on Whitehall, what do you want them to do, fucking move it?) while Gideon Osborne was trying really, really hard to do his homework. On a Sunday.

I know which lot I prefer already.

Comment

The Cenotaph! OH THE HUMANITY!

Comment

The producer wants thumping.

Comment

I'm sure the new Top Gear guys are wankers, but they can't be worse than the fetichising of the cenotaph as part of our increasingly military-felching society. The fact that they crumbled on this, of course, is evidence that the BBC and Top-Gear-Man are part of that militarised establishment that the Telegraph and Mail have managed to create.

Comment

(It'll be like the US before we know it, where everyone will stand to honour ex-servicemen before every football match, but society doesn't actually do anything material to offer real support to those with long term mental and physical injuries from years in combat)

Comment

Whatever you think of the new ones, they can't reach the heights of cuntitude of the old lot and this just looks like a rearguard action against them for not being those particular cunts.

Chris Evans seems just more of a twat in his old age than a cunt, Matt Le Blanc seems OK and I don't know who the other one is.

Comment

There are 5 more.

I'm not really sure what was wrong specifically with driving up and down Whitehall.

Comment

Flavio em fes wrote: There are 5 more.

I'm not really sure what was wrong specifically with driving up and down Whitehall.
                        Neither did Westminster City Council, which is why they gave permission for filming.

Comment

A far greater disrepect to the Cenotaph is the continuing presence of Douglas Haig's statue just a few yards away.

Of course, it's become very trendy recently to rehabilitate the man's reputation. Not in my eyes, but then I suppose that's a discussion for a different thread, in a different forum.

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote:
                            Originally posted by Flavio em fes
                            There are 5 more.

Neither did Westminster City Council, which is why they gave permission for filming.
                            It was the handbrake turns which caused the problem.

Comment

When Clarkson, Hammond and May made the decision, about a year ago wasn't it, to take their talents to Amazon Prime rather than a big operator like Sky they were roundly ridiculed. But even in the space of those months, the viewing landscape has changed and streamed services like AP and Netflix have become immensely more popular. Far from looking like a poor choice their decision now seems extremely astute - inspired, even, especially considering the mess in which the incipient version of Top Gear already finds itself.

Comment

When Clarkson, Hammond and May made the decision, about a year ago wasn't it, to take their talents to Amazon Prime rather than a big operator like Sky they were roundly ridiculed.
                                They were? What I remember is people marvelling at how much money Amazon was throwing at them.

Comment

Paul S wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Guy Profumo
                                  Originally posted by Flavio em fes
                                  There are 5 more.

It was the handbrake turns which caused the problem.
                                  Handbrake turns are indeed very disrespectful to the fallen.

Comment

I think the general consensus was that they had the clout to team up with a bigger-name broadcaster. I know Amazon Prime is hardly North Norfolk Digital, but it did seem like a considerable step down.

Comment

There's a big war memorial in the middle of my home town and people mostly sit on it. They sit on it as they wait for the bus. They sit on it to eat lunch before going back to school. And after the nightclub closed on a Saturday night you would sit there eating your chips as you waited for a taxi home, and watching a fight between whatever two eejits were up this week.

It's what the people on the war memorial would have probably done if they had grown up with a set of nice walls that were the perfect height

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: It's what the people on the war memorial would have probably done if they had grown up with a set of nice walls that were the perfect height
                                        Yes, but where do you draw the line? When the Holocaust Memorial was set up in Berlin, people were having picnics and sunbathing on the slabs.

That sort of thing has since been stamped out, but you still see kids playing hide & seek there repurposing the place as an army-assault course. I think it's a bit off.

Comment

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/right-wing-dad-fails-to-see-irony-of-top-gear-cenotaph-stunt-20160315107152

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                                            Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
                                            It's what the people on the war memorial would have probably done if they had grown up with a set of nice walls that were the perfect height
                                            Yes, but where do you draw the line? When the Holocaust Memorial was set up in Berlin, people were having picnics and sunbathing on the slabs.
                                            That sort of thing has since been stamped out, but you still see kids playing hide & seek there repurposing the place as an army-assault course. I think it's a bit off.
                                            This is it. It's hard to draw the line between showing a due respect to the dead – particularly to victims as opposed to combatants – with all attendant necessity of remembering the lessons of the past, and showing a healthy disregard for ossifying the relics of that same past as untouchable totems, when arguably it's more reassuring that people seem able to let the grass grow over them.
                                            Certainly, it's not exactly 'respectful' what the Top Gear team did, but it's not like Matt LeBlanc and co were leaving tyre tracks on the poppy wreaths. My initial reaction was so what if they've pulled a few doughnuts in "some shots where the Cenotaph is visible in the background", which I think was the actual description? By all means pull them up on it if it was dangerous, but I'm reasonably sure a majority of the fallen commemorated by the Cenotaph would be appalled at how they've been fossilised as some kind of revered, bloodless paragons, frowning their supposed disappointment down on generations of supposed 'disrespectors' in line with whatever the latest moral guardians are trumpeting, as if they never actually breathed or thought or had fun themselves – or indeed as if they never fought for the liberty to engage in such dangerously seditious activities as larking about in central London, or not wearing a poppy. It's so dispiriting, particularly in how the BBC has fallen over themselves to backtrack and apologise for any perceived offence, lest the Mail ritually disembowel them in public for not standing up for Our Heroes.

Edit: And heh, that Mash article ad hoc links to is brilliant.

Comment

I sense the hand of wingco in that article.

There's a big difference between soldiers and civilians when it comes to that sort of thing. All those names on the Memorial in Cahir were volunteers. If that was a famine memorial no one would be sitting on it.

The holocaust memorial in Berlin isn't in the middle of a main street.

Comment

If driving like an arsehole near a war memorial isn't allowed, given the usual standard of London driving, then we should pedestrianise the entire city and be done with it.

Comment

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Vote Gymshorts for mayor.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X