Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go

The recent AI vs go world champion kerfuffle reminded me that I meant to give that a try someday.

So I downloaded this app ...and was soon being crushed by the lesser AI of that game!

It's weird how such a simple concept of a game can be so unfeasibly hard to actually play in any meaningful way!

So does anyone else here play it? Do you consider yourself good at it? Do you play against human opponents?

(For those interested, there's a list of other go Apps here.)

Go

Nothing useful to add, but I share your sudden interest in it. I tried to play on a baby-sized board (5x5) on some website, but I don't think I've quite got the hang of the scoring rules yet, never mind basic tactics.

There seems to be a pretty solid geo-cultural divide still between the chess world and the go world!

Comment

Go

I've tried to teach myself in the past but I just didn't 'get' it. I felt like I was placing stones at random.

Comment

Go

I had basically the same experience as evilC a few years back. If I remember correctly there was web-app that I tried and there was series of lessons. At an early lesson change I went from, "Okay, I'm getting this," to "seriously, what the fuck?". I tried for about a week or more, and just couldn't get my brain to understand.

Still makes me feel stupid.

Comment

Go

My Grandad was taught to play this out in South East Asia after the war, and brought a set home. I remember never having the patience for it as an eight-year-old, as it seemed to take forever to get to the fun bit where you could start taking prisoners off the board.

Comment

Go

Alpha Go has been beaten after three straight wins. Yay, humans!

Comment

Go

I learned to play Go in about 1999, playing each week with the local club for about a year. Enough to go from utter novice to just about knowing enough strategy to beat another utter novice, but I didn't progress from there. Still enjoy the occasional game if anyone else I know admits a liking for it.

It's pretty intuitive to pick up - and of course the core rules are exceptionally straightforward - but I can see how trying to learn it via an app would be difficult. You need to sit opposite a human adversary, and preferably (though you won't enjoy the experience) one that will hammer you each time you play, even when you begin with a huge handicap advantage. It really is the best way to learn.

Comment

Go

I have a Go board at home. It was a birthday gift from my brother at some point. We played a couple of games, but didn't really get the hang of it. It is particularly unclear to me when the game ends. Apparently, you need to somehow agree with your opponent that any move either of you makes, would only cost everyone points and hence be pointless. I'm probably wrong about that, but this prevented me from getting into it.

But yeah, interesting game, for sure.

Comment

Go

I suppose the fact that there's no conclusive 'checkmate' moment is initially confusing for beginners. Essentially, if you get to the point where all the areas you and your opponent control are enclosed by solid, unbroken lines of stones; and if you try to play inside controlled areas you're immediately wiped out by your opponent's response; then the game's over.

Comment

Go

I got into Go after I first saw Pi. Played on and off for a few years, left my board back in the UK. Would be hopeless again now (much like chess).

Probably will try to get both going once the kids are able to piece things together.

Comment

Working...
                    X