March Nutty Boys - 2016 NCAA Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's that time of the year when snow melts and things start heating up on the parquets, time to bring out the bracket talk!

Strong season for the Pac, except for Inca's powder blue posse... I've got to admit that I don't get into the Tourney unless my school is in it, thankfully our program is back to the bigtime.

Was reading a piece today that argued that SMU and Louisville are the two best schools ever to be disqualified ab initio.

I of course expect Yale to flop, at which point one wonders if some clarity will start to emerge over the sexual assault rumours surrounding the team's former captain.

Comment

Was excited to see the Sooners top the polls awhile back, but reality (friggin' KU) set in and they live and die with the performance of Buddy Hield.

OU's bench is usually anemic and I don't see them going far in the tournament.

Comment

Any serious F4 contenders besides the Jayhawks in the B12 this year Cal?

Wow the Ivy has two teams on the bubble, Yale and Princeton at RPIs of 39 and 41 respectively. Looks like Harvard's run is over though, do you follow the season Ursus? It must be a lot of fun to catch an evening game after work in the UWS...

Comment

Haven't followed college hoop too closely this year, but Iowa State can be a sleeper during tournament time and WVU ended the season on a roll.

Conference tournaments coming up - I've probably vented on this before, but I'll gripe again that it is unnecessary. Though I suppose the novelty of a plucky 11-19 team that win's its tourney to get in the final 68 is one benefit.

Comment

Hey, it's the only way UCLA could get to the dance this year!

Comment

What's the scoop on Alford's buyout clause Inca, it sounds like your AD dropped the ball there, firing offense?...

Comment

Guerrero gave him a big extension after a Sweet 16 trip in his first season. None of his own recruits, a very talented squad. It was ridiculous.

There was reportedly a call today between AD Guerrero and a lot of the big UCLA donors. Alford is staying on. Which I assumed would happen, I also have to think that if he doesn't get back to at least the Sweet 16 (realistically, it should be the Elite 8 or Final Four) next year with Lonzo Ball, the best HS player in the country, then he will be fired. Guerrero needs to go before a new coach is hired, however.

Meanwhile, back to the court:

https://twitter.com/TheCauldron/status/708412291876843520/video/1

Madness!

Comment

That's just ridiculous.

Comment

I was in a bar, in CT, for that 3 OT. It was insane - full of all classic old man basketball nonsense - Arguing about the score while watching the same game, a guy with virtually no voice any more in his old age... and at that point a lot of swearing for giving the rebound for the three.

Cincinnati will be kicking themselves on that - what you don't see on the clip is three guys up beyond half court, still bumping chests, allowing the CT kid to get the ball uncontested for his 0.8 second shot. Got it off with possibly 0.2 to spare. Fantastic.

Comment

Yes poor D, with nearly one whole entire second left.

Both P12 semis were pretty wild OT games as well.

Comment

We got a 4 seed in the South, with Jefe's Terps in the same pod. Oregon got a generous #1W.

Comment

Oregon's seed was beyond generous, I can only assume that it was done to throw the West coast a bone because Michigan State are a far superior team.

Comment

I was surprised they got a #1. Won't help out perception of the Pac if they lose early on.

Comment

I liked this piece on how the selection and seeding process is broken.

With every inconsistent explanation and every mumbojumbo defense of why they took a team over someone like Monmouth, it became clear that the selection process is irretrievably broken for true mid-majors. It’s not that Monmouth didn’t get in. It’s that no one like Monmouth can get in. There’s not going to be a more satisfactory mid-major resume than this, and the committee butchered its evaluation of it seven ways to Sunday.

Comment

Meh. The selection process is flawed as it will be given the high number of variables that the committee have to take into consideration.

Personally I'm not gonna lose sleep over a 7 loss mid major team not making the dance.

Comment

With every inconsistent explanation and every mumbojumbo defense of why they took a team over someone like Monmouth, it became clear that the selection process is irretrievably broken for true mid-majors. It’s not that Monmouth didn’t get in. It’s that no one like Monmouth can get in. There’s not going to be a more satisfactory mid-major resume than this, and the committee butchered its evaluation of it seven ways to Sunday.
                                  Very misguided writeup, Monmouth didn't get in because they lost to Iona, a team that's demonstratively just as good as they are. Iona took their spot by beating them fair and square in the MAAC tourney final; they beat Monmouth in 2 out of the 3 games they've played against them this season.

Iona actually finished with exactly the same conference record as Monmouth if you include the tournament games, and holds the head to head advantage. There wasn't a compelling case for taking Monmouth over the other bubble teams given that Iona has taken their spot.

I really hate it when people like this author who have a very limited scientific training try to dabble in statistics and data analysis. For example he criticizes the RPI as outdated because it was developed in 1980 when computers weren't powerful, when in fact that factor is totally irrelevant. The validity of the RPI is not based on computer processing power, it's based on the validity of the algorithm itself.

Whining about postseason college sports being rigged against the little guys is an age old American pastime, it's also part of the bowl season.

Comment

Working from home this afternoon, two TV screens and a laptop. Iowa St. handles Iona like a 4 seed should. Colorado shows its postseason inexperience against the Huskies, Yale pulls off the upset and knocks off 5-seed Baylor. James Jones' team showing a lot of poise in the final stretch, and his staff looking good in the matching blue tattersall shirts.

Are you happy with that outcome Ursus? I root for all P12 teams in the tourney, except for Arizona, which has the most insufferable fan base in the west and an obnoxious coaching staff to boot (Lute Olson was a class act though).

Comment

Go To Yale
                                      Go Directly to Yale
                                      Do Not Pass Go
                                      Do Not Collect $100
                                      (Stolen joke from 1984 Princeton Triangle Club show with Brooke Shields.)

Comment

linus, I'm really conflicted about the Elis because of their reaction to the sexual assault case.

But then I hate Baylor too.

And now they get Duke . . .

Comment

I've got mixed feelings about the expulsion of Montague on the basis of the accuser's testimony, given what we know about the case.

Duke got all the calls in the second half, K had the refs in the palms of his hands. This is not a very deep Duke team so it might be another close game.

From the Baylor msg board: "We let a bunch of Acapella singing midgets beat us."

Comment

As Renart posted, I will now respect Baylor and the city of Waco. Texas from here on out.
                                            http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/taurean-prince-provides-amazing-answer-to-how-did-yale-1765590542

Comment

Taurean Prince, earlier:

Purdue pulled a monumental choke, pissing away a 10pt lead and collapsing in the 2nd OT. This is pretty much how it ended:

Comment

Of course, the year I don't enter the Inca Madness challenge, I pick the Yalies and Little Rock (because I heard the story of their coach punching the white board in their Sun Belt final, breaking his hand and thus turning a 5-point defeat into a 20-point win.)

Comment

Did you also pick Wichita St to bump out Arizona JV? 43-27 with 13 minutes to go...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X