Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The novelty still hasn't worn off

£2 coins.

Every time I get one I still make a little "ooh" sound in my head.
    EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

The idea of wireless broadband still delights me.

Probably because I'm old enough to remember 28.8 Kbps dial-up modems.

Comment

28.8?! Luxury. We had a 14.4 and I don't remember anyone complaining.

Comment

When I were a lad, I ran up a £100 phone bill on a 2400 baud modem and was glad to do so.

Comment

And I used to think 256k was the devil.

Comment

Downloading a single mp3 would take half an hour and block all incoming and outgoing calls. Times have truly changed.

Comment

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote: £2 coins.

Every time I get one I still make a little "ooh" sound in my head.
              EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
              You're going to go doolally when the new £1 coin comes in then!

Comment

The first time someone showed me a memory stick I was annoyed, because they called it a "flash disk". It's clearly not a disk. Then I worked with an Irish lady who called them "thumb sticks" except she pronounced it "tom sticks" which was much more interesting.

I remember reading out a list of code for two and a half hours to,my mate as he keyed them into his BBC Model B. We pressed "Run" and there was a multi-coloured sphere, turning on the screen before our very eyes!

And don't get me started on these:

Comment

Sits wrote:
                  So, Super Pong then? Pong not good enough for you?

Comment

The £2 coin is delightful, 'tis true. (But then again, I still derive minor pleasure from the 50p and £1 coins.)

As for the internet and its associated jiggery-pokery, it's all still mindbending voodoo magic to me.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                      Originally posted by Sits
                      So, Super Pong then? Pong not good enough for you?
                      My mate had it in colour, FFS.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: The £2 coin is delightful, 'tis true. (But then again, I still derive minor pleasure from the 50p and £1 coins.)

As for the internet and its associated jiggery-pokery, it's all still mindbending voodoo magic to me.
                        it's data sticks for me (see upthread)

How do they work? There's no magnetized iron oxide surface in there.

Comment

I'm still amazed by tellies, especially cathode ray tube ones. Every time I read about how they work it sounds like a mix of sci-fi and black magic to me.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: I'm still amazed by tellies, especially cathode ray tube ones. Every time I read about how they work it sounds like a mix of sci-fi and black magic to me.
                            The real Heath-Robinson ones are the "Baird" ones with the Nipkow discs.

Comment

My own personal obsession at the moment is visiting new countries. Not new countries in the sense of South Sudan - although that would be one - but countries I've never visited before. It started when I turned 40 and realised I'd only ever been to 10 (and two of them were the UK and Ireland), which didn't exactly qualify me as a world traveller. In the last four years I've visited 21 more, and I'll be going to 5 more in the next eight weeks. Every time I get off a plane/boat/train/bus I get that thrill of "I'm in [insert country name here] for the first time ever!". I want to have visited all the EU countries before Britain exits (after this summer I'll only be "missing" Luxembourg, Lithuania, Romania and Bulgaria).

Comment

When I was a kid we went on a family trip to the USA. I bought some baseball cards and remember being captivated by the team names and the player names who were all new to me, as well as the stats and terminology.

I had no idea what it meant but I kind of loved it.

I still get a thrill opening a pack of baseball cards, 30+ years later.

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote: You're going to go doolally when the new £1 coin comes in then!
                                  You know me better than I know myself... twelve sides!

Comment

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Guy Profumo
                                    You're going to go doolally when the new £1 coin comes in then!
                                    You know me better than I know myself... twelve sides!
                                    Not only that, bimetallic too!

(It's only missing a [square] hole in the middle, isn't it?)

Comment

I teach a class on print technologies once a year. Every time I explain offset lithography it does my head in. I get that oil and water don't mix, but to take that and develop a process of such clarity and precision is brilliant. It reinforces my capacity for wonder every time.

Comment

The wheel. Round thing on an axle, hey presto you can make things move. It's still got it, however many thousands of years later. Yay for caveman Ug, or whoever the idiot was who didn't think to patent that little beauty.

Comment

Various Artists wrote: The wheel. Round thing on an axle, hey presto you can make things move. It's still got it, however many thousands of years later. Yay for caveman Ug, or whoever the idiot was who didn't think to patent that little beauty.
                                          Ug may have invented the wheel, but it took another 500 years before Gak came up with the idea of the axle and made it work!

Comment

D'oh!! Yes, presumably it just made a novelty Neolithic coffee-table prior to that. You know, I think there might actually be a Far Side cartoon to that effect out there somewhere...

Comment

I know it's now widely regarded as the Worst Thing That Ever Happened, but I still get a small thrill when I get a handful of Euro coins in change at the baker's and notice that one of them's from somewhere like Latvia.

Comment

Like Latvia, or Latvia itself?

Comment

Latvia or its ilk.

Or elk. That'll do as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X