Things We Find Irritating About the New World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to save the people doing the beta testing some trouble, I thought we should have a forum where we can vent a bit.

1. The character limit on thread titles is too small.

2. I miss having the bit on the post where you could say where you werre "from". You could have a bit of fun changing that without changing your name.

Someone said something about the serif font. I'd like that changed, if possible. Sans serif if clearly the way forward.

Comment

It's hard to read. It seems slow. It's full of pointless clutter. I'm not familiar with it yet.

Comment

if you change your profile, people can see, if they choose to look, where you are from.

Comment

As ad hoc mentioned, the "active topics" view is much less useful than the old one, as you don't get any portion of new posts, just the names of threads.

Comment

My old thread complaining about the board appears to have disappeared.

(Pathetic complaint, but there you go...)

Comment

Yeah, I don't wanna be a moaning minnie, but serif fonts are horrible. Let's have Helvetica or Arial.

Comment

The "read topics" thing seems utterly pointless. I know which threads I've read. I want to know which threads have posts I've not read anything of.

Comment

We fear change!

Comment

The serifs have to go. Whatever the style of the main WSC site, no-one wants to plough through paragraphs of web text in a serif font.

Does anyone know of a Firefox feature that lets you alter the fonts on a page? I know you can turn off the stylesheets completely, but that's a bit drastic.

The clutter is a real pain. In Firefox you can block all images from specified sites, but of course this means that the icons go too, so you've no way of submitting posts etc.

Does anyone know of a Firefox extension that allows you to block individual images?

The pages do seem slow to load, but I'm sure that's being addressed by a team of drones as I type this. More worringly, as I do type this, each character seems to be taking a shaving more than a split second to appear. Perhaps I've just had too much coffee and my internal sense of time if just spiralling percpetibly out of phase.

Comment

Back to no posts. hmm. Very egalitarian sort of thing. Will this mean a new sense of power hierarchies?

But I always always wanted to be able to subscribe to threads on otf so that should be good. if I can work out how it all works.

Comment

I'm not sure I get the difference between replying to the thread and replying to an individual post on it. It still ends up at the bottom of the page either way.

Comment

SR: You can change the thread layout in your profile, from oldest to newest, or vice versa. And you can view the topic in 'flat view' or 'threaded view'.

Comment

It looks insanely cluttered, but I said that about the old new board.

Comment

KingMob:

Does anyone know of a Firefox feature that lets you alter the fonts on a page? I know you can turn off the stylesheets completely, but that's a bit drastic.

You can manually edit your userContent.css file to override fonts on individual websites. I can't check from work, but you'd probably need something along the lines of:

@-moz-document domain("www.wsc.co.uk" ) {
                              * { font-family: arial ! important; font-size: 11px ! important; } }

The clutter is a real pain. In Firefox you can block all images from specified sites, but of course this means that the icons go too, so you've no way of submitting posts etc. Does anyone know of a Firefox extension that allows you to block individual images?

Install the Adblock Plus add-on. It allows you to block images individually (through a simple right-click context menu option), by a common path, or for an entire domain.

Comment

The little icons under our names would be better along the bottom I think. Would reduce the feeling of clutter a lot.
                                How does this new board work via WAP?

Comment

Ahh good one Crusoe - I was using Firebug - a la...

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9868/59729734cx2.jpg

Comment

If you do install AdBlock Plus, it also handily allows you to block Flash movies and banners. Install the AdBlock Filterset G add-on as well; it gives you a long default list of ad banners to block without you having to manually add them.

Comment

Just looking at this now, the "ago" that appears under the thread title is annoying. I know it's only there because the thread title is long, but as much as we complained about the clock, I think it was better than thinking each post is starting with "ago".

How much clutter is there on the page? I have the Adblock Plus add-on, so I don't know if there's stuff I'm not seeing, or if you're just talking about all of the icons under the usernames.

Also, isn't "user" kind of implied if we're posting? I know it's probably to differentiate with admins, but seeing as admins are rare, why not just get rid of (User) and have (Admin) for when they post?

Comment

SR I don't think it's replying to a post. It's like having the box at the bottom of every page on the old board. I hope. Because places that have replying to posts are really difficult to follow.

Comment

It's really, really, really cluttered.

Not a problem for me so much as it will be for people with, you know, proper jobs - but it's still irritating-looking.

Comment

A (very) minor thing, but I don't like the way that the time thing ("13 minutes ago") wraps, so that the "ago" appears just above the post, in the same font, with no line space. It's very offputting.

Other than that, I concur with most of the other grumpy old sods on here.

Comment

It doesn't much like the "back" button, on Internet Explorer at least. I know I should use a duifferent browser, but I don't have admin privileges to install one here.

Comment

Oh man, subscribing sends you an email every time someone posts. That's not what subscribing should be! I'm probably being thick, mind. I shall investigate further.

Comment

Lyra wrote:
                                                  SR I don't think it's replying to a post. It's like having the box at the bottom of every page on the old board. I hope. Because places that have replying to posts are really difficult to follow.
                                                  I think it is replying to a post, but won't matter if you have the 'normal' view turned on.

Does it jump to the latest unread post in a thread when you click into the thread? I don't think it did for me there.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X