Deadpool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadpool

I would imagine anyone who has seen a trailer or any of the leaked pre-production clips in the last few years is already going to know if they will like the movie or not. It is the least subtle or surprising (in terms of expectations) of films.

It is also insanely good, incredibly funny, remorselessly violent and decidedly profane. I was surprised after I left the cinema to find out it had made a 15 rating (without any cuts) rather than an 18.

Deadpool

Not read the comic. Not really attracted to the film by anything I've seen or read.

My outsider view of this is that Deadpool is the comic for nerds who want to appear tough and edgy.

Jock nerds, basically.

Comment

Deadpool

Oh, cheers for that. Though I've not read the comic.

Actually, aren't all comics "for nerds who want to appear tough and edgy"?

Comment

Deadpool

Spiderman didn't used to be. It used to be for nerds who liked a nerd superhero who had accidentally found himself being a superhero. They then added a lot more darker stuff. Still it is superhero reflecting his nerd reader rather than vice versa.

Comment

Deadpool

"Actually, aren't all comics "for nerds who want to appear tough and edgy"?"

Oh no, not at all. Wolverine falls into the category. As does The Punisher. But Green Lantern most definitely doesn't.

I've never read the comic but it's good to read such a positive review from Ray. Based on that alone, I will try to go and see it if I get the chance.

Comment

Deadpool

Steve Ditko did nerd Spiderman the best. When John Romita (with a background in romance comics) took over as the artist he made him much better looking looking and, as a result, pulled Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy in quick succession.

Comment

Deadpool

Haven't seen the film yet. From what I've read, though, what makes it 'groundbreaking' (at least for big-budget Hollywood superhero movies, rather than European arthouse stuff) is that Deadpool actually breaks the fourth wall within the movie - something he regularly does in the comics, but which is an indicator that he is so powerful he is near-omniscient ...but plays along with his storylines anyway.

-

Comment

Deadpool

Dude at work was raving about this one this morning. I'll give it a try when it hits the small screen i think. Mainly because cinema visits, including babysitting etc tend to be upwards of $120 nowadays.

Comment

Deadpool

evilC wrote: Haven't seen the film yet. From what I've read, though, what makes it 'groundbreaking' (at least for big-budget Hollywood superhero movies, rather than European arthouse stuff) is that Deadpool actually breaks the fourth wall within the movie - something he regularly does in the comics, but which is an indicator that he is so powerful he is near-omniscient ...but plays along with his storylines anyway.

-

Oh, I like that. I would hate it if it was Spiderman or Wolverine or someone but I like him doing it.

Comment

Deadpool

Whilst I'm looking forward to the film, I'm not exactly overwhelmed by the fourth wall being broken. Mel Brooks has done that plenty of times before now, and comics like the Beano have been doing it since time immemorial.

Comment

Deadpool

Best fourth wall is C3PO in Empire Strikes Back

Comment

Deadpool

She Hulk has been breaking the fourth wall for donkey's years, although I believe it only started in earnest a couple of years prior to Deadpool's creation.

Also, check out Hawkeye vs Deadpool, it's great.

Comment

Deadpool

Ray de Galles wrote: Actually, aren't all comics "for nerds who want to appear tough and edgy"?
                          I think that's heavy metal.

Comment

Deadpool

No, that's for nerds who want to stay virgins, except the guy who is dating the one chick in the whole county who is into metal.

Comment

Deadpool

They don't want to stay virgins, they just accept the inevitability of it.

Comment

Deadpool

Eggchaser wrote: check out Hawkeye vs Deadpool
                                Is that a M*A*S*H mash-up?

Comment

Deadpool

Watched the film yesterday. It was fairly amusing, but raised only smirks rather than belly laughs.

Comment

Deadpool

Thoroughly enjoyed it, even the bit where his mate was wearing the same Adidas trackie top as I was sat in the picture house in.

Comment

Deadpool

I enjoyed it, as did the other half. Funny.

Comment

Deadpool

Funny that you enjoyed it?

Comment

Deadpool

The fillum was funny. And much less rubbish than I feared.

Comment

Deadpool

I'd never heard of the character before this movie came out. I'm astounded at the business it's done though. I mean....$670-odd million and counting? Jeebus.

Comment

Deadpool

I've been reading quite a bit of Deadpool the last couple of years, there's a lot of good stuff. Lots of smart pop culture stuff and obviously comic book gags. I'm a middling comic geek, and get lot from it, but there's a fair bit of stuff I don't know what the references are, but certainly not too much. I wish I'd took the plunge years ago.

Comment

Deadpool

I really enjoyed the film. I think I've avoided Deadpool in the past due to him being a Rob Liefeld character.

Comment

Deadpool

OK I was wrong. I watched this today and thought it was smart, funny and much better than it could/should have been.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X