Expand the 6 nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expand the 6 nations

I think we should expand the 6 nations to invite in the USA, and Canada. But no relegation for Scotland or Italy. Just have international players playing less club games and more international games. The USA and Canada are sleeping giants of the world of Rugby union. Imagine going to Dallas in the Cowyboys stadium infront of 100,000.
    By the way no relegation i do not want to destroy Scottish or Italian rugby to do this. Just have more teams in the trophy.

Expand the 6 nations

Why would you favour the USA and Canada (which are already playing in an Americas competition) over Georgia, Romania and Russia (for instance)?

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Aye, the obvious expansion is as above plus Ulster and a couple of other Europeans. Two divisions of six plus promotion/ relegation for the top/ bottom finisher.

Like yer style, Smithy. Welcome aboard.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

The USA and Canada are already in the Six Nations, they are in the Americas version with Chile, Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina. Iirc it starts this weekend.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Indeed it does

This weekend's matches:

USA v. Argentina

Canada v. Uruguay

Chile v. Brazil

Details of US squad

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

ursus arctos wrote: Why would you favour the USA and Canada (which are already playing in an Americas competition) over Georgia, Romania and Russia (for instance)?
            Agreed on the latter 3 and Ulster's not a country!
            Already part of the IRFU.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

You don't know Dunc very well, do you?

His proposal would be very simple to implement, given that there already is a European pyramid below the Six Nations and that the top tier just happens to have six teams.

There is, of course, absolutely zero desire on the part of the current Six Nations to open their cartel, though that could potentially change if Germany and/or Russia got significantly better. The problem with Romania and Georgia is that they aren't attractive from a commercial perspective.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Well yes, real countries would help.
                Talking of which, good to see Moldova have an interest.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

No thank you.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

I'd favour the creation of a "Team GB" but I can't see the rugby authorities allowing such a team to exist.

I AM NOT WALES.

SONO ITALIA!

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Not sure buggering around with the 6 Nations is the next step. A better way of bringing tier two nations forward would be playing them in a more regular, formal manner in the autumn and summer tests.

Currently those fixtures are decided completely on financial grounds and the same teams play each other every year. Wales will play England at Twickenham in May for the third time in nine months, I would far rather see them travel to Georgia or Romania for a test.

We could also drop one of the Southern Hemisphere nations every year (especially as Wales usually squeeze in a fourth autumn test on a non-sanctioned date) and play someone more interesting,

Wales play Japan this autumn and Scotland play Georgia but it needs to be more rigidly enforced rather than the odd token fixture. World Rugby needs to force the tier one nations to spread the tests around more evenly, in the southern and northern hemispheres.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Agree completely with the above posts. The top tier nations - certainly in the Northern Hemisphere - need to do more for the rest. Are the Southern Hemisphere team a touch better with tests in the Pacific nations?

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Antepli Ejderha wrote: The USA and Canada are already in the Six Nations, they are in the Americas version with Chile, Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina. Iirc it starts this weekend.
                          ursus arctos wrote: Indeed it does

This weekend's matches:

USA v. Argentina

Canada v. Uruguay

Chile v. Brazil

Details of US squad
                          Argentina A, thanks very much gents. I think you'll find the full national team are playing with the big boys now.

They've got a Super Rugby franchise this year and everything.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

You're right Sam, it's very much an Argentina development side that does not include any of the overseas players but that's also true for the other countries.

I agree with Harry, more meaningful games for the tier 2 nations would be the best way forward. Why not include Georgia and Romania in the Six Nations A tournament with the Saxons, Wolfhounds et al.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Is there a 6 Nations A tournament currently? I'm not sure anyone apart from England and Ireland have a team.

They should bring back the Churchill Cup too, replacing the USA and Canada with other tier two nations, especially as they played some of the games down the road from me at Esher.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

I think there are games being played rather than a tournament as such. Iirc only Wales has their U20s as their designated second side meaning the others must be playing.

What was the Churchill Cup?

Weren't some of the tier 2 nations playing each other in the autumn whilst being based in the UK?

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

ursus arctos wrote: You don't know Dunc very well, do you?
                                  Unfortunately, he does. But then you knew that.

Last time I looked, nor were Wales, Scotland, England and the island of Ireland countries.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Their rugby authorities and fans might beg to differ.

And France/Italia are countries surely?

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Antepli Ejderha wrote: I think there are games being played rather than a tournament as such. Iirc only Wales has their U20s as their designated second side meaning the others must be playing.

What was the Churchill Cup?

Weren't some of the tier 2 nations playing each other in the autumn whilst being based in the UK?
                                      Yes, as RWC warm-ups. Canada v Georgia at Esher got a huge crowd, I didn't even know it was happening.

This was the Churchill Cup.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Thanks Harry.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

I'm sure DG realizes that the team who currently play as Ulster represent nine counties, not just six.

A second tier of the six nations could be offered at least the carrot of promotion/relegation by giving the champions a playoff - away - against the wooden spoon. They'd most likely lose, but if they were good enough to win, why not let them have least their one season up there? Seems fair enough (on both sides). And if the wooden spoom team lose at home to eg Georgia then a year in tier two might be good for them. England could always play Scotland, for example, in an extra and separate Calcutta Cup match if either were relegated, if that match is such a money-spinner.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Ray de Galles wrote:
                                            They should bring back the Churchill Cup too
                                            Ohhhhhhhhh yes.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: I'm sure DG realizes that the team who currently play as Ulster represent nine counties, not just six
                                              About nine different countries last time I looked, with all the Jesus-loving Afrikaners, Micronesians etc.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Ray de Galles
                                                They should bring back the Churchill Cup too
                                                Ohhhhhhhhh yes.
                                                This.

Comment

Expand the 6 nations

Romania, Georgia, Russia and Moldova should set up their own round-robin tournament, three games in Spring (you wouldn't want to play rugby in Moscow or St. Petersburg in February...) That would be a good start.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X