Out of place musicians.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of place musicians.

This is a brilliant example of an out of place session musician brought in being out of kilter with the band. It did get me thinking of musicians that just look like they come out of not only completely different bands from the one that are playing in/with but also different genres and, indeed, different eras.

It doesn't have to be just session musicians either.

Out of place musicians.

I can't open that link in work, but Midge Ure in Thin Lizzy must fit the bill.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Eeek, "an English band"?

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Who is the bloke playing with the JAMC in that clip, and who are the blokes in the picture Bored posted?

I imagine Brix Smith joining The Fall was a bit of a jolt for long term fans.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

It's Bernard Sumner and Peter Hook in that picture isn't it?

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Isn't that just the bass player from Letterman's house band?

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Wes Borland in Limp Bizkit and Buckethead in Guns 'N' Roses surely fit this bill.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Who's supposed to be 'out of place' in the New Order photo? Strikes me that Hooky's replacement would more likely fit that description.

I'll bet being described as an 'English' band went down well with the Reid brothers.

Edit: I seem to recall that Craig Logan (ie, 'Ken' from Bros) enquired about a position within the J&MC back in the day. Which, had it happened, would've won this hands down.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Ken/Craig ended up doing very well for himself. I remember Bros's manager Tom Watkins saying sacking Logan was completely stupid.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

The drummer of German teenybopper band Tokio Hotel never quite fitted in. I think he wrote a lot of the material though.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Terry Chimes' stint in Hanoi Rocks never looked right.

See also Terry Chimes' stint in Black Sabbarh too.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Jah Womble wrote: I seem to recall that Craig Logan (ie, 'Ken' from Bros) enquired about a position within the J&MC back in the day. Which, had it happened, would've won this hands down.
                        Hmm … [citation needed]

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Surely Lieutenant Pigeon win this thread?

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Perhaps - but who would you go for?

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                            Originally posted by Jah Womble
                            I seem to recall that Craig Logan (ie, 'Ken' from Bros) enquired about a position within the J&MC back in the day. Which, had it happened, would've won this hands down.
                            Hmm … [citation needed]
                            I'll see what I can do...

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Buggles joining Yes...

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Mick Avery of The Kinks was very pissed when session man Bobby Graham did the drumming on "You Really Got Me" and "All Day And All Of The Night" -- Avery did the tambourine duties.

Something similar happened when Them recorded "Gloria" with Graham drumming. Van Morrison apparently was quite incensed at the idea of session players on the recordings of his band.

I think any of the Wrecking Crew people who played instead of The Monkees would have looked out of place as Monkees. I also can't quite imagine Hal Blaine taking the place of the blond kid on the drums in The Partridge Family.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Isn't that just the bass player from Letterman's house band?
                                  I did wonder that.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Jah Womble wrote: Who's supposed to be 'out of place' in the New Order photo? Strikes me that Hooky's replacement would more likely fit that description.
                                    Unfortunately, I couldn't find any pictures of Sumner and Hook together where Hood was in his leather trousers and whatnot but even there, like most of the time, he looked like James Hetfield jamming with UB40.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Bobby Killdea has always looked out of place in Belle and Sebastian. He's sort of a long haired rock and roll guy in a bedsit pop band.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

You shouldn't use full stops in a thread title, Bored.

It looks weird, especially as it's followed with "by".

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Thunderclap Newman

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Bored of Education wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Jah Womble
                                            Who's supposed to be 'out of place' in the New Order photo? Strikes me that Hooky's replacement would more likely fit that description.
                                            Unfortunately, I couldn't find any pictures of Sumner and Hook together where Hood was in his leather trousers and whatnot but even there, like most of the time, he looked like James Hetfield jamming with UB40.
                                            Oh God yes, I totally agree about Peter Hook, I always thought he sticked out like a sore thumb. The other three are basically your standard-fare weedy indie types, while he looked like an embarrassing goofball into dad-rock and shit leather jackets. Stuff like this:

Comment

Out of place musicians.

ZZ Top's drummer, Frank Beard.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

And Right Said Fred's Rob Manzoli.

Comment

Out of place musicians.

Fussbudget wrote: he looked like an embarrassing goofball into dad-rock and shit leather jackets. Stuff like this:

In the first photo, he looks like he should be saying 'music never got better than NWOBHM.'

Comment

Working...
                                                  X