No announcement yet.

International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's just hope that cricket is the real winner.

Comment

Agree with all that has been written about this Test. Would be a real shame if rain had to intervene.

Comment

Eek, Balbirnie. Dropped catches cost matches - Babar Azam escapes and then hits two fours...

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          Find myself deeply torn here
          I'll be Liam Fox to your Natalie Imbroglio

I have two reservations about Irish cricket's progress. They're distinct but can overlap.

First, test cricket is in decline Worldwide. Threatened by shorter formats, scandals, political violence and the rest. So why rush to join it when arguably T20 etc. are the means to develop the game? I realise that tests have endured better than the 40/ 55/ 60 over confusion of my childhood- but it's playing in empty grounds most of the time.

Second, I just don't really warm to cross-border international sides and have some sympathy for the individual countries in the West Indies (see rumors today that Trinidad are set to go it alone).

The overlap? Staying the English county system could have worked- two teams would have been ideal but I could compromise on one

A more realistic for the next few years could be regular one off May warm-ups for whoever is touring England, with perhaps eventually whole series against Scotland or Netherlands in front of two pensioners and a sheep at Bready (that's Boyder's home village, not a comment on the catering)

Comment

Is ireland's centre for test cricket in Malahide because it's the protestant capital of the republic, or is it there because it has pretty much the lowest rainfall in the country?

Comment

It's there because they're moving it. Not to the North West but Blanchardstown (ie to western from northern suburb)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                Find myself deeply torn here. Ireland have done incredibly and it would be an amazing achievement to win, and may have knock on effects for other wannabe test nations that would be really good. However of all the national teams, Pakistan are my favourite (at least since the West Indies slid out of view) and I would be saddened if they lost. (And I think a draw due to rain would be rubbish). A tie? I could go for that.
                Judging by how Pakistan have picked up the pace, unlikely they'll throw it away now.

Comment

When Ireland played pakistan in the world cup back in 2007, my dad was getting treatment in the hospital in Cashel, and the surgeon treating him was from Pakistan. My dad had read a lot about pakistan, and could vividly remember its creation, so the pair of them were chatting away and became great pals. I don't think the Surgeon had met anyone in tipperary that could point to where pakistan was on a map, let alone discuss the policies of Jinnah. Anyway, my dad went in to see him just after Ireland beat them, and he nearly had a breakdown. He was so upset, Cricket was about 50% of his life outside work, and he knew exactly where cricket was in Ireland in 2007. "You have your own beautiful game of Hurling, why have you done this to me." My dad didn't know what to say. The poor man was inconsolable. It looks like they're going to get away with it here though.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                    It's there because they're moving it. Not to the North West but Blanchardstown (ie to western from northern suburb)
                    Why Blanchardstown? Why would they move from Malahide? It seems like the perfect spot for it. There's been cricket there since it was invented, The setting for the pitch is really beautiful, and malahide is a nice place to get pleasantly pissed, and easy to get to. It's about five minutes from the dart station, which is on the line from Belfast.

Comment

Don't you get taught World geography in Cahir-in-the-Community?

I'm guessing there's more land at the proposed new site to build permanent stands
                      Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 15-05-2018, 13:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                        Judging by how Pakistan have picked up the pace, unlikely they'll throw it away now.
                        Nah, they're just one wicket away from a collapse.

And the pace has picked up because Ireland are doing the right thing and still playing with an attacking field

Comment

that doesn't seem like an issue to me. It's a beautiful venue.

Comment

Maybe the Duke of Wellington won't sell them all that land in foreground?

(Like most people I didn't realise there still was one until he turned up in the House of Lords last week)

Comment

Doesn't look likely now. Pakistan within 50 of the target with no further loss.

Comment

Yes, I think now it's gone. What a match though.

Comment

Doing their best to squeeze another hour out of it, at least.

Comment

A fifth wicket goes in the dying embers.

Comment

2 late wickets as Pakistan struggle home. 8 needed with five in hand.

Comment

All over. Pakistan win by 5 wickets.

Brilliant match, and genuine congratulations and kudos to Ireland.

Comment

And it's over - in many ways, it's a pity that Ireland are only guaranteed one Test per year if they hope to grow into the format.

Comment

Who is that magnificent beast in the umpire's hat?

https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/996398282480979970

Comment

He would appear to be Paul Stirling of Middlesex https://www.cricketeurope.com/DATABA...7/000777.shtml

Comment

He's 28?!

Comment

He looks like a ginger fat gats.

Comment

Balbirnie had a bit of a Fred Tate of a test didn't he. Poor bugger.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X