No announcement yet.

International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superb effort from Ireland. All three results possible given weather forecast.

Comment

Being something of a stats nerd, this Test cricket lark is an absolute goldmine - it seems there have only ever been three occasions where any team has won after following-on:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...ry/105230.html

Comment

Well, yes. It's something that most teams haven't managed yet, in the best part of a century of trying for many of them. If Ireland do it first time up, well...

On a related note, apparently this was the first time in 16 years that Pakistan have enforced a follow-on. Given how things are panning out, it might also be the last time for an even longer period!

Comment

Yes, I suspect they're regretting it now. Had they been about to put Ireland in for the fourth innings 400-odd runs down it would feel totally different.

Another stat for you DR: while there have been many, many drawn Test matches, there have only ever been two ties.

Comment

OK, here we go. Amir to Kane.

Comment

Ah, O'Brien is gone early. He's not happy with himself, having gone fishing unnecessarily outside off.

Comment

Final wicket stand now, and Murtagh clubs away a useful four.

Comment

Right-o. Mohammed Abbas has finished off the innings, taking his ninth of the match.

Pakistan need 160 for the win.

Comment

Yes!

Comment

You'd expect it to be wrapped up by mid-afternoon, but hopefully Ireland have at least given a creditable display at the higher level.

Comment

Hold that thought, DR. That's the second wicket gone now...

Comment

The article I posted yesterday about PK's final-innings collapses predated another one last year, by the way.
                          http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1...wi-v-pak-2017/

Comment

Oh my!

Comment

And a third wicket goes - dare we dream?

Comment

Blimey, three down, come the heck on Ireland.

Comment

So other than the two out in the middle, it's surely only Sarfraz Ahmed to worry about in terms of making the score. Everyone else averages around 15 or under.

Comment

The Ballad of Boyd

See me in pajamas bowling
                                    Then check out those World Cup whippings
                                    True, I ain't done no testing
                                    But can get Aussie dodging
                                    Bounce is what I bring, forget about reverse swing
                                    No fight no style, all sickly Roots
                                    No fight no style, bar Captain Cook's

See me get those 'roos jumping
                                    Warming up in Alice Spring
                                    Them check with Fat Gatting
                                    (Played at Lord's in the third string)
                                    Give me Pup attack,he'll have more than a sore back
                                    Uptown Boyd Rankin
                                    He's Ulster's new pace King

Got to get rid of dead walking
                                    (Not you Broady, just joking)
                                    Watch Trem chuck it round ring
                                    Don't even mention Steve Finn
                                    Bounce is what I bring, forget about reverse swing
                                    No fight no style, all sickly Roots
                                    No fight no style, bar Captain Cook's

Time to start Aussie harming
                                    So they'll bleat like sheep farming
                                    When they see me come tear in
                                    All the way from the Sperrins
                                    Give me Pup attack,he'll have more than a sore back
                                    Uptown Boyd Rankin
                                    He's Ulster's new pace King

Comment

Yay! I've found live radio commentary (Guerilla Cricket).

Comment

Need to get two more quick wickets before they start to make inroads on the total.

Comment

Yes, Imam-ul-Haq is starting to look like he will be Pakistan's hero.

Comment

Originally posted by wiblflibl View Post
                                            Yay! I've found live radio commentary (Guerilla Cricket).
                                            Is that any good? Old Test Match Sofa people, isn't it? Might have to try it in the winter now Talksport have got the rights to the tours.

Comment

Lunch now, 52/3 after 17 overs.

Comment

Whatever happens this afternoon, Ireland can be really proud of their performance in this match. A comparison with England's performance against this Pakistan team will be interesting, especially given our current batting woes.

Comment

Heavy Rain is the forecast for this afternoon.

Comment

Find myself deeply torn here. Ireland have done incredibly and it would be an amazing achievement to win, and may have knock on effects for other wannabe test nations that would be really good. However of all the national teams, Pakistan are my favourite (at least since the West Indies slid out of view) and I would be saddened if they lost. (And I think a draw due to rain would be rubbish). A tie? I could go for that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X