No announcement yet.

International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rather strangely, it seems to be the UK version of Cricinfo that is pushing the Big Bash.

The Global version headlines the Under 19 World Cup, as does the US, Africa, Pakistani and Indian versions

Comment

I wonder if Sri Lanka will tick off a new Test innings total?

By this I mean the list of innings totals which have never been made in a Test match. There are now only two numbers under 500 which have never been a team's innings score in a Test: 18 and 56. All other small totals have been made at some point, usually to complete a low-target chase.

The lowest three-digit Test score which hadn't been made was 525 for a long time, but South Africa ticked that one off in January 2013 against New Zealand. That has pushed the lowest three-digit total never-before-made up to 597.

So I've been ploughing through the stats and have the following numbers up to 700 which have never been a team's innings total in a Test match.

So of the 101 numbers from 600 to 700, only 37 of them remain to be ticked off.
      Last edited by Kevin S; 02-02-2018, 14:59.

Comment

Will be interesting to see when they declare.

Comment

713 for 9 in the end. Bangladesh three down, still 119 behind at the close – they're going to have to fight hard to avoid losing a match they scored over 500 in the first innings.

Comment

Common sense takes a leave of absence in South Africa as the umpires take the players off for the interval break with India requiring 2 runs to win from 31 overs with 9 wickets remaining in the 2nd ODI. Bizarre.

Comment

Disappointingly 713 was not a new score; it's been achieved one before, by Sri Lanka themselves.

Comment

Ball hits bowler in the head and still goes for 6. Incredibly, bowler is apparently unhurt

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...aland-50-match

Comment

South Africa have fucked themselves a tad with poor use of DRS on the first day against Australia, but they've finally shifted Smith so this could go either way. They're a very likeable and watchable bowling attack, yer Saffers, at the moment.

Comment

Bowling extremely patiently and tidyily at the moment and Australia's batsmen getting out to some rash shots, helped by some good fielding. Seems like a good toss to have lost. Shame as he's great to watch when fully fit but SA not missing Dale Steyn at all (yet). Potential to be yet another good test series this summer in SA following the excellent games with India.

Comment

Day 3 - Session 2: Australia lead by 320 runs with 7 wickets remaining

South Africa couldn't cope with Starc and Lyon, who are becoming the 'key' bowlers in world cricket a present, leaving aside arguments about 'best'. The intensity from the other bowlers, and the fact that Aus have suddenly found a good middle order, are also crucial.

Comment

When I was watching this the other day, Philander had a spell with the keeper up.

Comment

SA's bowlers have been below average so far, other than Maharaj, and the batting was utterly poor, with none really in form. Even De Villiers, who saved SA a couple of times against India, has but really found good form. Amla might benefit from a new position, and De Kock is becoming a liability, though one expects him to find his touch again. And Theunis de Bruyn just doesn't have it. Good in first class cricket, but just not international class. SA might as well recall Bavuma.

Comment

Looked like a massacre was on the cards, with SA 49/4 chasing 417, but now they've got to 230/5 - still a long way to go, but if Markram and de Kock can stay there until stumps, it could get interesting yet. Markram has made what sounds like a fine century - though he did manage to run out AB de Villiers very early on (but fair play to him to put that behind him and put together a good innings) 3rd test century and he's only 23.
                            Last edited by ad hoc; 04-03-2018, 14:22.

Comment

Markram out for 143 and the slim hope for SA probably goes with him

Comment

And indeed his departure starts a collapse. Nearly over now. Starc takes 3 in an over

Comment

Starc finished that over on a hattrick but he won't have the chance to get it as it's been deemed too dark for quick bowling and Australia have to try and finish it with spin

Comment

Morkel is defending very well.

Comment

Day's play is over which will give Starc the chance to get that hattrick tomorrow 293-9

Comment

Australia win by 118.

Meanwhile, "reformed character" David "The Reverend" Warner will not be fined for his aggressive sledging of Markram after De Villiers was run out, but he is being investigated following an altercation between him and De Kock on the steps to the pavilion at the tea interval. Lyon has been fined for "dropping the ball" on De Villiers after his dismissal. No idea what that is all about

Comment

That's a very bizarre fine for Lyon.

I wish I'd been able to watch this test, I presume it was on Sky, as it sounds like a proper test match on quick wickets with something for everyone.

Comment

Ireland in action for their second world cup qualifier today against PNG, after a good win over the Netherlands.

Comment

Meanwhile, Windies are playing UAE in their opening match.

Comment

Lyon and Warner are toerags. The Lyon incident I’ve seen now, and he breaks the stumps to run out De Villiers, and as he steps off to celebrate, he tosses the ball gently into De Villiers’s torso as he’s sprawled on the ground. Shitty behaviour.

Comment

Australia just seem to be the common denominator in nearly all sledging or on/off field behaviour controversies. They seem to want to dictate the terms of what constitutes unacceptable behaviour. I feel that if I have to read/hear Steve Smith, Lehmann or one of the others talking about how 'we don't cross that line' one more time, I'll probably put my fist through the computer/TV screen. One of the pundits (might have been Graeme Smith) was saying umpires feel intimidated by Australia, and I suspect that might be true. They are twats.

Comment

West Indies got themselves into a bit of a pickle, 59-4 against PNG, but are cruising now.

Afghanistan are on the brink of elimination, which would be a big surprise. Nabi and Zadran are gritting it out against Hong Kong, but another wicket might kill them off.

Scotland are the surprise package so far.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X