International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel that we could probably do with an omnibus thread for series/tournaments that don't merit their own thread.

I'll start it with the u19 World Cup, where it looks like Nepal are about to beat New Zealand. Ireland are threatening respectability against India.

Nepal have previous for doing well in this tournament don't they? I remember once when they beat South Africa and gave England an almighty scare.

Comment

Also pleased to see this morning that Yorkshire have finally announced plans to replace that godawful football stand.

Comment

Ooh, that Headingley development looks fantastic on both sides.

Comment

Thank goodness for that. Its a superb view from the top tier of the existing stand but its so bloody gloomy and cold in there, even if its a hot summers day. We now go to the Trueman Enclosure at the opposite end where the view isn't as good but at least you're in the open air (something I may regret saying when I sit there on May 15th to see Sri Lanka).

Comment

What I learned watching the cricket this morning is that Nepal is pronounced 'Nay-Pal', and not 'Nuh Paul'.

They get massive crowds for cricket in Nepal these days.

Comment

Nepal follow it up with an easy win over Ireland. NZ are about to lose to India, which will confirm that Nepal will make the quarter finals.

Other matches going to form. Sri Lanka's bowlers saved them against Afghanistan, and Pakistan easing to victory against Canada.

Australia don't appear to be competing, presumably on the same security grounds that stopped the senior side touring Bangladesh.

Comment

South Africa at serious risk of being eliminated by Namibia!

Comment

Etienne wrote: South Africa at serious risk of being eliminated by Namibia!
                  2 wicket win for Namibia.

Comment

Yes, almost blew it at the last Donald/Klusener style with a run out, but an extremely mature 58* from Louwrens got them through.

Bangladesh have beaten Scotland, so they and Namibia join Nepal, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and England in the quarter finals.

Zimbabwe vs West Indies will be the only live match in the final round of group games, after both beat Fiji and lost to England.

Comment

And that ended well, etc.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: And that ended well, etc.
                        How shitty is that?

Comment

Really shitty.

I have to say, I once Mankaded someone playing school cricket. Given that it was comprehensive school cricket in Shropshire, I doubt anyone really knew the rules, including the umpires and he was allowed to carry on. He was halfway down the fucking wicket mind. So, my instinctive reaction isn't "oh, how terrible", more "how has cricket got itself into a position where there is no proper way of resolving the issue when the non-striker sets off too soon.

Comment

We Mankaded someone at school as well. There was absolute uproar and the teacher in charge withdrew the appeal on the team's behalf. I got the fella out in the next over and did a real snarling in-your-face celebration. The rest of the match was played in a bad tempered atmosphere and we got a stern talking to afterwards about our behaviour and cricket being a gentleman's game.

Comment

Well that certainly isn't in the spirit of Courtney Walsh.

How shitty - well the bowler made no attempt to deliver the ball, just running through to remove the bails which suggests it was possibly premeditated.

As for the batsman, he wasn't already in his stride, two paces down the wicket, his bat was grounded. Alas for him on the line and not behind it.

Zimbabwe are right to feel pissed off, but they shouldn't have been in that position to lose the game.

Cricket needs a competitive West indies, this does them no favours.

A decent Zimbabwe side would be great too.

Comment

You lot really need to change the Laws if you are going to insist on all of these extraneous factors.

Comment

Greenlander wrote: Well that certainly isn't in the spirit of Courtney Walsh.

How shitty - well the bowler made no attempt to deliver the ball, just running through to remove the bails which suggests it was possibly premeditated.

As for the batsman, he wasn't already in his stride, two paces down the wicket, his bat was grounded. Alas for him on the line and not behind it.

Zimbabwe are right to feel pissed off, but they shouldn't have been in that position to lose the game.

Cricket needs a competitive West indies, this does them no favours.

A decent Zimbabwe side would be great too.
                                  If the bowler is in his delivery stride he can't run the non-striker out like this. The real "crime" against the spirit of cricket is that he didn't give him a warning before appealing for the dismissal. I've been out this way, I was warned first, it was my fault second time. Shit way to get out.

Comment

You lot really need to change the Laws if you are going to insist on all of these extraneous factors.
                                    Yeah I agree really. However, low a blow yesterday's thing was, I find it hard to froth at the mouth too much. One of the first things I was taught as a nipper was to always keep your bat grounded prior to delivery when following up from the non-striker's end.

Comment

I've captained a side and withdrawn an appeal for an incident such as this, and also been given out handled ball when I caught a return throw to the keeper and handed it to him. I think both outcomes were reasonable - I maintained my right to abide by the spirit of the law, and also accepted the outcome of my foolishness. Cricket can be played in any number of ways. The Namibian batsman who walked last week in the same competition, for instance, after being given 'not out'. He said his conscience wouldn't let him bat on, to the obvious bemusement and anger of his team mates.

Yes, the laws are there to be upheld, but this sense of shittiness is compounded by the fact that the bowler never intended to attempt to bowl, and the batsman wasn't attempting to gain advantage by chasing down the track. I still think that the extremely fine margin could have supported a 'not out' decision, once the West Indian captain had insisted on maintaining the appeal. And - come on. Three runs to win, last pair standing? Let the game play out.

Comment

Simon Lister's book about the great WI side, Fire In Babylon, is excellent for those who like oral histories of a cricketing era rather than series-by-series reports:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/aug/23/fire-in-babylon-west-indies-review-beautiful-delivery

It doesn't just have Viv, Lloyd and Michael Holding but also a social history from the perspective of the spectators, opponents and umpires; even the incompetent NZ umpires of 1980 and the hopelessly naive South Africa rebels get some empathy and space to speak. I thought I knew a lot about this period but I now know far more, and understand it more deeply.

Comment

Etienne wrote: Really shitty.

I have to say, I once Mankaded someone playing school cricket. Given that it was comprehensive school cricket in Shropshire, I doubt anyone really knew the rules, including the umpires and he was allowed to carry on. He was halfway down the fucking wicket mind. So, my instinctive reaction isn't "oh, how terrible", more "how has cricket got itself into a position where there is no proper way of resolving the issue when the non-striker sets off too soon.
                                          I did it to my teacher, the bastard refused to walk. Said I should have warned him but I hadn't.

Comment

England U19s unsurprisingly stutter against Sri Lanka's spinners. If (when) Pakistan beat West Indies tomorrow, all 4 semi-finalists will be from Asia.

Comment

Actual quote from actual Australian cricketer: "only a fucking coward sledges people when they walk off".

Matthew Wade starts a green n' gold revolution, who will join him on the barricades?

Comment

Not a parody

Comment

The Basin Reserve isn't a big ground, but still: sold out for the first three days of the NZ-Aus Test. Kiwis don't usually turn up for the whites, so Brendon McCullum's swansong is some drawcard.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X