International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
    Question seems to be: what is in Cameron Bancroft’s underpants?
    Ball-tampering and lying to the umpires after being caught on film hiding a suspicious object. That's how many games suspension? Plus, who told the most junior team member to do that? I doubt he did it on his own initiative. Smith and Lehmann will have some explaining to do. And throwing Bancroft under the bus is not really an option, is it?

Comment

Word on the Twitter is, he was just trying to get De Kock out

Comment

And now he might have a chance. This match is moving along fast. If they can get De Villiers out, they have a chance (and as G-Man says, all hell could break loose)

Comment

Is that sand paper?

Comment

When Bavuma came in, I said, "He'll score 5. That's par for him." How did he get an average of 342?

Comment

Bad light stops play. South Africa lead by 294 with 5 wickets in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Is that sand paper?
                This looks bad. Hoprfully there will be a full investigation, and those found guilty will be punished.

Comment

Heh:

Earlier David Warner had expressed his feelings about ball tampering.

“The rules are in place for a reason – if you’re not going to use them why bother having them?” he said.

“That’s the fortunate things these days. They’ve got their rules and they’ll stand by these decisions. I think that’s a good thing.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/977583026623332352?s=19

Comment

Bancroft, Smith admit to ball tampering, is the Cric Info headline. What’s the potential sanction?

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                        How shitty is that?
                        Poor form.

Still.

Not as bad as ball-tampering, is it, Messrs Smith and Bancroft?

So.

You the otf jury* - what should be the punishment?

* Yes. Of course, the jury doesn't decide the sentence, they decide the verdict.

But, meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                          This looks bad. Hoprfully there will be a full investigation, and those found guilty will be punished.
                          If Lehman knew about this he has to resign.

If Lehman didn't know about this, he has to resign.

Comment

Surely Smith's position as captain is untenable. His assurances to have "learnt from this" and that "this will never happen under my leadership again" might be good enough for his parents, but it can't be for Cricket Australia. It is quite despicable that he and the "leadership group" involved a young player in the ball tampering.

The ICC surely will have to charge Smith as well for his part in this. As captain he was the principal initiator; there must be consequences for that.

I almost feel sorry for Bancroft. The shit he'll have to put up with tomorrow, when he comes out to bat, will be pretty bad. But I suppose Darren Lehmann hates cheats so much that any measure of abuse the Newlands crowd will dish out tomorrow will be justified. To avenge Stuart Broad not walking after nicking a ball, he once expressed his hope that "the Australian public give it to him right from the word go for the whole summer and he cries and goes home".

Comment

Everyone is ignoring the truly heinous part of this whole sorry episode - that Smith called him “Bangers” throughout the press conference.

Comment

It’s got to be long, long bans and Smith and Lehman get the elbow from their roles, surely? The “leadership group” should probably cop it too.

Apart from the cheating, I can’t get over how dim and inept they were. How did they think they would get away with it? As the story developed I started wondering if there was a reason they would want to get caught, like some betting ring on them being banned or something.

Comment

I don't disagree that the Australians involved should be punished severely but the Sky coverage of the issue is pure score settling and bad loser shit. Atherton has just remembered he was done for ball tampering, none of his TV colleagues were going to remind him.

Comment

There are precedents for punishments for ball tampering. Those are nothing like the levels that you guys seem to want. Having gone rather more gently in the past is going to make it pretty tricky for the ICC to do otherwise now.

My guess
                                    Bancroft - 75% of match fee and 3 demerit points
                                    Smith - 100% of match fee and 3 demerit points

Comment

The ICC punishment won't be the main problem; the loss of the captaincy and the permanent stains on their reputations will be a far heavier burden. The fact that Atherton still carries this stigma 24 years on is proof of that.*

Amazing how quickly reputations change in cricket. Two months ago Smith was the new Bradman, now he's Captain Cheat in press terms.

I think England probably cheated in 2005 with the sticky sweets and so on, but they were always subtle and never dumb. You have to question Smith's basic IQ; how is a great cricketer this thick?

*although much of Atherton's sin was the lying to Illingworth about it, for which he should probably have been sacked, rather than the dirt in pocket.
                                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-03-2018, 01:11.

Comment

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsAUS/status/977774829624426496?s=20

Comment

To imagine that cricketers don't try to cheat is somewhat naive (not that anyone here is guilty of that) but it does like to perceive of itself as a more honest sport than say football.

Ultimately the sanctions for the ball tampering probably have to be in line with previous similar sanctions. But Smith giving this task to Bancroft? He'll never live that down.

(To be honest ball tampering is worse than spot fixing in terms of its effect on the fairness /honesty of the contest. But it won't be treated like that)

Comment

Apparently Malcolm Turnbull has said "Cricket is synonymous with fair play". Right Malcolm

Comment

His whole quote is a gem:

"It seems beyond belief the Australian cricket team have been involved in cheating. After all our cricketers are role models and cricket is synonymous with fair play. How can our team be engaged in cheating like this? It beggars belief." (BBC)

I realize the ability to bullshit with a straight face is ingrained in politicians, but that's really pushing your luck.

Comment

The Australian swing voter must be more easily shocked than its cricket fan, whom I imagine is more embarrassed by the stupidity of how the team implemented the cheating.

It would be like Theresa May demanding Southgate's resignation this summer when replays show Kane diving for a penalty in a big World Cup game. Or Blair doing the equivalent in 1998-2002 over Michael Owen.

Comment

Another who must be struggling to keep a straight face is du Plessis. Twice found guilty of ball tampering. Still merrily captaining South Africa.

Comment

Australia and England both blatantly tried to tamper with the ball in the recent Ashes series by throwing the ball in on the bounce to scuff up one side to make it reverse swing.

I'm guessing this is extremely common but rarely so stupid and obvious as this.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X