No announcement yet.

Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoops, I misread it as being for under 1000, rather than over.

Comment

There don't seem to be may around at the moment, so I created one : https://www.chess.com/tournament/improvers-1

Comment

Cheers, Etienne. I'm in.

Comment

Yep Bored, I would just keep an eye on the upcoming tournaments page (on the 'Play' tab on the left of the homepage). I know I've said this before but if you can spare the cash I would highly recommend the £20 or £30 it costs for a year of premium membership as well – it allows you to play in multiple tournaments at once as well as accessing the massive section of lessons they've got, which go back years and years (I'm working through a bunch on endgames at the moment which, frankly, I wish I had done sooner, but there are loads of categories to choose from). For less than the cost of a pint each month I think it's pretty good value.

Comment

6 out of 8 slots full so far. Most people ranked around 1000, so you're substantially the lowest ranked, but should be much more competitive that playing against 1400-1600 where most of the OTFers are.

Comment

And it's started. Looks like some keen players anyway.

Comment

G'wan, Bored!

Comment

Hmmmm, Etienne has done me a lovely favour there but I am tanking presently.

Comment

OTF14 finished earlier today.

Comment

Yes, sorry for stretching it out. Should've probably waved the white flag earlier.

Comment

What happened with perahumabuk in the Improvers tournament, Etienne?

Comment

No idea.

Comment

It has awarded the matches I lost to him to me and the reason given is "Fair play"

Comment

His account has been closed, and all his matches awarded to his opponents. But I don't know why his account has been closed.

Comment

I assume it's because the site's detective software concluded that he had breached the site's fair play rules. Typically, that's where they conclude that a player has been using computer assistance. I do wonder how safe those judgments are. I've never read the fair play rules (though there seems to be a link to them on the page for that disqualified player), so I don't know whether "gaming your rating" would be alterative grounds for disqualification.

Comment

Shall we set up OTF #15 now, or are people too caught up in other tournaments at the moment?

Comment

Yes, sorry for stretching it out. Should've probably waved the white flag earlier.
                                    Sorry Bored, only just spotted that post. No need whatever to apologise, as everyone has the right to play to checkmate. Especially as we were both able to play at a brisk pace over the last few days, what with it being half term week.

Wouter, I'm neutral on the timing of OTF 15 because I'll probably sit it out whether it starts soon or not for a while. I've got bits of travel coming up over the next 2 and half months with probably no wifi access, so accessing the site is likely to be tricky and/or expensive. So I don't think I'll join any new tourneys until after 19 August.

Comment

As OTF 14 has finished, here's another ratings snapshot (timed in my case to reflect a 17 point drop I suffered from losing a non-OTF match against a much lower ranked opponent yesterday). Figures in brackets are the changes since the last snapshot (on 14 March, at page 81 of this thread).

Alex 1806 (-)
                                      ad hoc 1659 (-)
                                      Etienne 1557 (-7)
                                      Levin 1531 (+33)
                                      VT 1502 (+129)
                                      Wouter 1441 (+8)
                                      EEG 1407 (-9)
                                      Sam 1276 (+30)
                                      TPC 1202 (+17)
                                      Bored 576 (+47)

Comment

I am happy whenever. Am playing this tournament that Etienne kindly set up for me but had a terrible first round of matches. Bit better so far but am not sure that it is going to help my rating that much.

Comment

I'm happy starting whenever as well, though I reckon we should let Bored finish 'his' tournament first so he doesn't have to miss out on OTF or drop out of that one.

Comment

Beat a 1750-something rated player a few hours ago, and as a result my daily rating went above 1300 for the first time. It's back down to 1299 now ...

Comment

Happy birthday Lyudmila Rudenko, thanks to the Google Doodle.

Comment

To return to a theme from a while ago, today's match in the British Championship between GM Chris Ward and IM Murad Abdulla saw the first capture on Black's 29th move.

White won on move 48, having missed a probably winning continuation whilst all 32 pieces were on the board.

Comment

Thanks for posting that IT. Can you explain why black resigned? I can't see why white's threat is so deadly after move 48. For example, if black replies 48 Rag7, what does white do?

Comment

Hi EEG, I agree that a swift end looks unlikely. White can hoover up on c5 and b4 to create a formidable advance of connected passed pawns, and Black can't get his pieces properly active owing to forking and mating threats.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X