No announcement yet.

Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And my pre-tournament excuse is in and registered.

Comment

Great to see you back in the mix, VT.

Anyone in touch with TPC? I saw he posted something on chess.com last week about not being able to access the site from his PC or something like that. Would be a shame to lose him from the tourney if he can find a solution.

Comment

I'll ask him on Facebook this evening.

Comment

Saw these two posts from him

For the last week I cannot play games on this computer
          the_purple_cow the_purple_cow #1 1 day ago
          I can play normally on my iPhone and my iPad, I can also do anything I want on my MacBook Air except play a game. When I attempt to start a game I get the following messages.

“Your challenge cannot be created because of your Internet connection. Please reconnect and try again.”

“Please wait, it’s taking longer than usual to connect. Change settings.”

When I click on ‘Change Settings’ nothing happens. I use Safari and Opera but the results are the same, though with Opera I don't even get the two system messages.

Sometimes if I leave Beta, re-join Beta, and then leave Beta a second time I am able to play a game – but not always.

Any ideas?

the_purple_cow the_purple_cow #2 8 hrs ago
          Well thanks for all your help guys. (Not.)

I'm going back to 365.

Comment

TPC is interested, so maybe re-send any invitation to him.

Comment

He's joined. That's 7 of us so far, could become 9 (the first time more than 8 of us since OTF 8) if Alex and Etienne are able to join.

Comment

Alex seems to have declined the invitation.

Comment

Ah well, at least that makes the title a bit less of foregone conclusion. Alex's rating is now over 1800, about where IT's was by the end of OTF 1.

Comment

Yes, was just coming here to confirm that Alex won't be able to dedicate so much time to this one. He became single at the turn of the year and in his zeal to get over his ex he's throwing himself head first into just about every online dating app going. Chess has taken a back seat for a little while.

Comment

I reckon I'm probably a week from being able to join. Are you guys willing to wait, or do I need to withdraw from my current tournament?

Comment

I can wait.

Comment

Waiting no problem for me.

Comment

I demand that you withdraw in order to satisfy my craving for chess.

I'm only joking. I can wait.

Comment

I too am in no rush. Could you post a message on here when you will have joined? I'll pull the trigger once I will have read it.

In the meantime, there are still some open spots in case some lurker wants to join.

Comment

Does anyone know what happens if I did their free trial so I could enter more than 1 tournament when the trial expires? Would I be kicked out of the tournament(s)?

Comment

OK, I've taken on the free trial, and joined the tournament.

Comment

Run away! Run away!

My laundromat cum cafe has a chess set on one of the tables, and I'll amuse myself playing in the forlorn hope I may eventually be able to see more than two moves ahead.

Apparently a bloke has been in claiming to be a former (European?) champion and is prepared to play / challenge anyone who wants to take him on.

My response, "er. Have you got a pack of cards and a cribbage board?"

Comment

I'll be in the next rounds of half a dozen tournaments kicking off over the next few weeks and months, but in the meantime I'm down to 3 matches against tediously foot-dragging opponents of the kind who take on dozens of matches (or well into 3 figures sometimes) and play them in rotation as they fall due, so almost always use close to the whole of their move time limit.

One of them, Dutch guy called Jussie4, has an average time per move of just over 1 day, but his average time per move in our 3 day limit match is probably over 2 and a half days. And for several moves now he's been in a hopelessly lost position which he should have resigned. (To be fair, he did actually resign our first match when he went from hopelessly lost to beyond hopelessly lost, but he's clearly in that position now.) His king is penned into the 4x3 area in the top right and I'm just going to march my c-file pawn up to queen it. 5 moves to do that, then say around 4 more moves to force mate. Should only take 27 more days. [Edit: I have explored whether I could force mate in fewer with king, rook and knight to avoid using 5 moves to queen the c-pawn, but I reckon that could take up to 10 or 11 moves against best delay-oriented defence.]

https://www.chess.com/daily/game/181636914
                                      Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 22-04-2018, 14:21.

Comment

OTF #14 has started. Good luck, everyone!

Comment

Well done, Bored! Is that your first win in OTF or did you win one early on?

Comment

It's Bored's 3rd win in OTF, but the other two (against Rogin and Matt J) were wins on time. Well done indeed. It's been coming.

Comment

What? When?

Comment

Ha ha, I saw that "Game Over" and I assumed it was my loss and I can never keep up with who I am playing. I have to say, I am surprised as, although it would have been good to get rid of Wouter's Queen, it isn't necesssarally a forgone conclusion I would win on past experience. I'll take it though.
                                                Last edited by Bored Of Education; 03-05-2018, 17:49.

Comment

Ha ha, I saw that "Game Over" and I assumed it was my loss and I can never keep up with who I am playing. I have to say, I am surprised as, although it would have been good to get rid of Wouter's Queen, it isn't necessarily a forgone conclusion I would win on past experience. I'll take it though.
                                                  Last edited by Bored Of Education; 03-05-2018, 19:29.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think I'd have resigned there. But you would have been in a very strong position.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X