Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me and Rogin should be done soon so we will both be able to register.

I will wait a bit to see if Irony Towers and Matt join and, if not, will invite the 2.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment, by the way, but I don't think there was much suspense about the result.

Comment

Let's try and get our game done tonight Bored.

Comment

As mentioned upthread, I'm skipping this one (but will be back for the next).

Comment

...and I've declined this time.

Comment

... so that makes just 8 of the 12 from OTF3 who'll be in OTF4 (assuming Bored, border123 and Rogin all join). Room for all 3 of your mates Bored, and one more besides.

Comment

,,, and the 4 of the 12 who are dropping out are precisely the top 4 finishers. Hmmm, as 5th placed finisher I ought to be getting ambitious about this one. No doubt I will find a new Nemesis awaits.

Comment

I have made what should be the antipenultimate move in my game with Bored, and he has steadfastedly refused to respond. As I am going away for 8 days and possibly will be unable to reply to him within time when he does, I may lose this match by default, but spit on those rules and claim our match by the underlying codes of honour.

(I've been reading Game of Thrones today, if you can't tell)

Comment

Nice bluff, Rogin. Not remotely convincing, but nice try!

Comment

Having been away from my computer for 24 hours, I have now made the move and there are plenty of moves still to be made.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: ,,, and the 4 of the 12 who are dropping out are precisely the top 4 finishers. Hmmm, as 5th placed finisher I ought to be getting ambitious about this one. No doubt I will find a new Nemesis awaits.
                        You watch, it's going to be OTFPremier and OTFPremier2

Comment

If Rogin can't make it in time, I will resign. I would do it now if I were a queen down but there is still plenty to play for.

Comment

If Rogin can't make it in time, I will resign.
                            Seriously, WTF?

Comment

No, I just mean from the game, to be helpful, rather than him missing out on time. It wasn't some sort of St Louis style trash talk.

Comment

No, I just mean from the game, to be helpful, rather than him missing out on time. It wasn't some sort of St Louis style trash talk
                                Yes, that's what I thought you meant (though it's amusing to see that another interpretation could be put on your words). And I repeat "WTF! Seriously?" I mean, why the hell should you resign from a far-from-lost position just because your opponent can't make the 5 day time limit per move we all signed up for? Especially when your opponent has just made a spurious claim about being on his "antepenultimate move", for which I would love to see Rogin's workings if he wasn't joking.

Comment

Yep, I'm with EEG there. The time limit is part of the rules of the competition, so nothing against Rogin but if he can't make his move in time that's his tough luck, not yours Bored.

Comment

Oh, well, I just thought - as it was the last game, OTF 4 is on the horizon and it hardly changes any positions - I would make life easier but, now, bring on my first points of the season!

Although I would still like to finish the game legitimately if at all possibly. If I'd been around more and seen Rogin's post yesterday, I would have endeavoured to fisnish it then.

Comment

Well, it would change one position in the final table if you were to concede the game, but that honestly isn't why I was in agreement with EEG.

Comment

Bah, talk about one move costing you the game... Here's a single match I've been playing. As soon as I saw what I'd done there, I resigned.

Shame, because I had been playing well by my standards and it took a lot of effort to go two pawns up.

slucha vs Kevchenko - http://www.chess.com/echess/game?id=135486752

Comment

I remember the teacher who ran the chess club at ny old secondary school telling me 40 years ago "You're only as strong as your weakest move."

Comment

I can't see what the problem is there, Kevchenko, but, there again, I am used to still playing on in much more dire straits.

Rogin offered me a draw which I refused as I didn't want to affect anyone else's position but, of course, him and me sharing a point wouldn't change anything. However, we had carried on playing by the time I realised that and still am.

Comment

I can't see what the problem is there, Kevchenko,
                                              Bored, the problem is that Kev just effectively gave away his rook. White's next move will be Nd3, which is a technique known as "discovered check" (or, more generally, "discovered attack"). The point is that by moving his knight to d3, white creates a check by his rook up the f file while simultaneously attacking (with his knight) black's rook on e1. Black is obliged to deal with the check first, which in this position means he has to move his king, leaving his rook to be snaffled by white the following move. There's no escape from going a rook down. Kev's mistake was to move the rook on to a square (e1) which the white knight could attack on the same move that it got out of the white rook's checking line.

Comment

My mate's on holiday until the end of next month, so he's going to sit OTF4 out.

Comment

That's a pity, he's an exciting player and he'll be missed. And a pity for him - he may not have such a good chance of an OTF tournament gold for a while after, what with IT, ad hoc, Matt and Etienne all absent.

Comment

Indeed. I suspect he'll be back for OTF5 or 6 though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X