• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

I've got the app running a treat now.

Comment

Bloody hell, this is mental. Half of you are playing at anothergoal's pace (did he join?). I find it hard enough to keep track of one game let alone 9. Good practice though.

Comment

Just after that post above, I blundered into giving Smallcaps my queen.

Comment

Just in case anyone amongst the chess fans here is not yet familiar with the famous Morphy-Brunswick match, my favourite match from chess history, here it is in all its elegant bravado:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morphy_versus_the_Duke_of_Brunswick_and_Count_Isou ard

Comment

"my favourite match from chess history "?Come on, what are these mind games?

Comment

ha ha, fair point. And I was giving a false impression there. It's almost the only match from chess history that I've taken an interest in, because I can't follow the really complicated ones that serious chess people study.

Comment

After reading that Wiki last night, it became my favourite match in chess history as well, because of the rather silly story surrounding it. If it were better known by the general public that would have been crying out to have a Blackadder episode made.

Comment

Played one, lost one! Well done, EEG. (Although I'm not sure 'well done' isn't a bit patronising, given how that went.)

Comment

Are you playing one at a time, Sam? I am trying to play all 9 simultaneously just to keep it exciting and it is completely discombobulating. Fun though

Comment

No, or none of them would ever get finished. But I thought I'd at least give myself the dignity of waiting until the first defeat was confirmed before reporting it as such.

I've lost another one since that post.

Comment

Did you mean to make the move you just did in our game, Sam?

Comment

Very much enjoying this by the way, though it is disconcerting when you have a plan worked out in one match then have to remember it when you've gone through several other ones.

Also, does Kevchenko ever sleep?

Comment

0100-0600 unless the children wake me up in between.

Comment

Thanks for the "well done" Sam! And the Blackadder scene idea for the Morphy v Duke of Brunswick game was inspired - made me laugh just thinking about the possibilities.

Comment

though it is disconcerting when you have a plan worked out in one match then have to remember it when you've gone through several other ones.
                                Absolutely. I always have to use the "back" and "forward" buttons to remind myself what is "going on" in a match (or at least, what I can tell is going on, which is often a small subset of what is actually going on) when I come back to it. I have very limited clue from memory or from looking at the current static position. Gives me even more respect than I already had for the grandmasters who can play umpteen simultaneous "wooden pieces" face to face games.

Comment

ha ha, nice one mattJ! Beginner's howler on my part, but nice move anyway, congrats. I don't have Kevchenko's tolerance for the pain of ploughing on after giving away my queen.

Comment

That's the one thing about playing a computer. You tend to stick with the relentless and predictable punishment after losing a queen.

I am enjoying this very much but it is terrible for me learning to weight up the opponent's options and think several moves ahead.

Comment

When you blunder as often as I do, you tend to carry on otherwise the games would be a bit on the short side.

Comment

I'm going to need to slow down with my response speed in these chess matches, I'm not getting any of my study work done at all since the tournament kicked off.

Comment

I know what you mean, and I'm finding it hard to leave it with 'me to move'.

Comment

Etienne wrote: Did you mean to make the move you just did in our game, Sam?
                                            24 hours later I have no idea which move you mean, but I assure you the answer is almost definitely yes. I really wasn't joking when I said I was crap at this. By the end of this tournament, the number of matches I've played in my life will have literally increased by a factor of three or four.

Comment

It's the most recent move in our game. I've not moved since because I thought it looked like a move that might happen when you pressed the wrong button! But if not, I'll continue.

Comment

Oh! You mean horsey up to leave my Queen hanging? Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking there. Do feel free to punish me for it though, it's the only way I'll learn.

Comment

Ah hang on, you don't mean that do you. Bollocks. I are an idiot.

Comment

Yeah, I thought the knight move was a decent one, it was the one after that I couldn't see what you were trying to do. Apart from that you're not playing like a beginner so I wanted to check it wasn't an accident.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X