Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam wrote: Going off to research what the chess equivalent of curling up into a foetal position and trying to protect all my soft bits is.
    1. e2-e3
    2. Bf1-e2
    3. Ng1-f3
    4. 0-0

Move up your third move one or two spots to mix it up.

Comment

I've spent every minute since my previous post going through the training and mentor things on the site. Lots of fun, this.

Comment

I ain't half bad, eh, Sam? It had been ages since I've played chess, but since joining this site about a week ago I'm seriously hooked.

For those of you that haven't registered for the tournament or posted on this thread yet: there are still four places available in the OTF chess tournament.

Comment

ad hoc, might it be worth giving Wyatt a poke to see if he wants in?

Comment

Perhaps we could recreate one of the notorious stramashes of OTF past and pair The Horse against The Quiet Man

Comment

Yeah, not sure if WE plays chess much, but I could ask the Horse, who obviously used to (older readers will recall)

Comment

That would be good.

In this thread, matej and Levin both expressed an interest in doing something like this.

Comment

I'm also interested, looking at this old thread, to find out whether either of Mumpo's children has inflicted a proper defeat on him yet.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: I could ask the Horse, who obviously used to [play chess]
                    Not necessarily...

Comment

So, should we wait a bit longer to give some of us the opportunity to invite some others? I'm in no hurry, but I wouldn't want eager people to withdraw.

Comment

I would say go for it fairly soon

Comment

I'm afraid Spawn of Mumpo 1 can no longer be persuaded to play chess. SoM 2 plays occasionally but still gets pasted. His current game of choice is Smash Up, at which he has an infuriating knack of beating me every time.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: I would say go for it fairly soon
                            I've just PM'd Rogin, Levin and matt but let's go for it within the next day or two.

Comment

Smallcaps wrote: ain't half bad, eh, Sam? It had been ages since I've played chess, but since joining this site about a week ago I'm seriously hooked.
                              It's very good, especially the amount it lets you do for free.

I, on the other hand, am really unspeakably shit.

Comment

I'll join in a moment or two. I like chess, but can't dedicate my brain to... You know... Actually not be shit.

I'm in as matejiscrapatchess

Also, would request longer than 48 hours. Usually wouldn't be problem, but I've been known to go internet quiet from Sunday to Wednesday fairly often. (No work access to 'game' sites.)

Comment

Woohoo! And Rogin has said he's going to join in as well. Tempted to suggest an extra day or two per move as well, especially if we have to make moves in about ten games.

Comment

Matt, I sent you an invite. Following Kev's and Matt's requests, I've turned up the time per turn to five days. Please let me know if this is unacceptable to anyone. This does mean that the tournament could go on for about a year.

Comment

So, Kev, did you hear back from Rogin or Levin? Does anyone else still expect replies from anyone else? If not, I suggest that we start the tournament. I'll give it one more day for people to object and react.

Comment

Rogin said "oh definitely" in a PM so allowing one more day for him seems reasonable. Levin didn't reply.

Comment

Day is passed and gone. Does anybody mind if I pull the trigger and we start the tournament?

Comment

Go for it!

Comment

The tournament has started!

Everybody indeed plays everybody at the same time. That means that we all have eight games to play at the same time.

In the whole tournament, everybody plays everybody twice: once with black and once with white. However, only one of those games is loaded from the start; the 'return' fixture should start as the 'home' fixture is finished.

Have fun, everybody!

Comment

Awesome, thanks smallcaps! Never done one of these before, very excited!

Comment

Good job we have plenty of time to make the moves as I struggled to get the app to bring up the games. However I've now moved a selection of white pawns forward for my opponents to face, mixing it up between king's and queen's pawns for some variety. Looking forward to this.

Comment

EEG and myself have a nice Alapin variation of the Sicilian defense going.

I had to look up one of those names. And I don't mean EEG.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X