Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey yes, well done Bored!

Comment

Actual LOL when I just saw that the creator of a tournament in the list of "Upcoming" tournaments on the site has named it "REO Speed-Dragon (sorry)".

Comment

Yes, I liked that one too.

This OTF tournament has been the most enjoyable (for me anyway) in a while. Lots of tight matches.

Comment

Yes, same here. Both my matches with Sam in particular were very tight.

Comment

If I were in a band called REO Speed-Dragon, I think our first single would have to be "Take It En-Passant".

Comment

...followed up with "Can't Fight This Queening"?

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                Yes, same here. Both my matches with Sam in particular were very tight.
                If you think those were tight, check out the one Wouter and I finished a few hours ago. When I ran the computer analysis afterwards it said that 70% of my moves were the best I could have played in the position I had, and Wouter managed 72% best moves.

Comment

I'd like to second (third) both how much I'm enjoying this as well as how nice it is to see how close it is.

Comment

chess.com seems to be malfunctioning this morning, or is it just for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                      chess.com seems to be malfunctioning this morning, or is it just for me?
                      I just logged in - it's working for me

Comment

Thanks VT - prompted by that information I tried again after first shutting down my pc and rebooting. The browser on my PC is corrupted I reckon - it took me about 10 attempts to log back in to OTF just now to post this reply.

Comment

So it looks like we have a title decider (unless Bored produces something spectacular!) between me and Levin, in which both of us have made at least 2 clear blunders already. Certainly if we'd played like this in our other games we wouldn't have been fighting for the title.

Comment

I think the only thing to say about that game is that it is over and we should forget about it as soon as possible.

Comment

And congratulations. I still can't believe I missed that your queen could take that pawn when I checked you.

Comment

Well, with Levin now needing only a draw against Bored to clinch it and being 6 material points up in that match it looks as if Levin is about to win his first OTF title so well done!

Meanwhile another of my 960 tournaments has just kicked off, and already illustrated how some otherwise good players can be spectacularly dim at 960 when they're new to the variant. Here is a match that's already finished (before I've made a single move in any of my games), in a more or less "foolsmate" style. The losing player Omarchavez currently has a standard chess Daily rating of 1311 from just under two hundred matches. How on earth can you be good enough to keep that kind of rating but come out with muppetry like this as soon as you're faced with a different opening arrangement?!

https://www.chess.com/daily/game/194854582

Comment

Good grief. Practically the first thing Alex ever told me in my first chess 'lesson' with him was that the f pawns are the weak point at the start of the game because only the King protects them. Correspondingly, while I'm not much good at 960 I realised through common sense that at the start of the game you look at which pawns are weakest and use that as your starting point. How he's not done the same is beyond me.

That starting setup has got three really fucking weak pawns right in front of the King, mind. I wish I'd seen your message in time to sign up for that tournament.

Comment

Well, with Levin now needing only a draw against Bored to clinch it.....
                                    Sorry, that was bollocks, wasn't it. Levin is 100% certain of the title, as in the event of his losing to Bored, he'll still end ahead of Etienne on the tie-breaker and ahead of VT either on points or tie-breaker, regardless of how many of his remaining games Bored wins, as the current tie-breaker points gap is just too big for Bored's remaining matches to eliminate it.

So congrats Levin!

Comment

Aw, I've lost all my motivation now.

Comment

Congratulations, Levin.

I just won my first tournament, too!

Comment

Congrats Sam!

Comment

Thanks guys. It's been a bit of a mixed bag for me this tournament so I'm surprised I've come out on top. I am pleased that I forced a mate with a queen sacrifice though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                              Congratulations, Levin.

I just won my first tournament, too!
                                              Well done, Sam!

Comment

Actually, Sam, let me know the next time one of those tournaments is starting. It may be the sort to start upping my rating.

Comment

There's always something coming up - look at this one for instance: https://www.chess.com/tournament/chess-grand-slam-iii

Comment

Ta but my rating is too low for that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X