No announcement yet.

Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh he is a twat. He sent the following to me in the chat.

"What is this? Am I losing?"
    "Are you using an engine?"

So I blocked him. I was wary already as I remember Sam mentioning him in the past and I can't be doing with that bullshit.

Even worse I don't think I can keep my current performance up. He is, I think, quite good. It will be galling to lose to him.

Comment

Deep Mind Alpha Zero's "Immortal Zugzwang Game" against Stockfish.

AlphaZero is a neural network that has taught itself to play. It plays like a human-only better.

Worth playing through if you get the chance,
      Last edited by Nefertiti2; 13-12-2017, 07:24.

Comment

'Like a human only better'? That's putting it mildly. Over one hundred games it recently destroyed Stockfish (which admittedly was playing without its opening database) by twenty-odd wins. After four hours of practice against just itself. If Google fancy spending any more time letting it learn chess, it marks a sea change in the top level of the sport, given that all the top players have used programs like Stockfish to prepare for championships for years.

Comment

Lovely game, and nice commentary. Thanks for posting, Nef.

Comment

Are we leaving the next tournament until after the festivities?

Comment

Looks like it, doesn't it, given how quiet the thread has gone, and in particular the absence of any invitations from our regular TD! I'm equally happy to participate as soon as others are ready or to leave it for a bit.

Comment

Yeah, sorry, I'm on a holiday right now. First week of January okay by everyone?

Comment

Good for me thanks Wouter

Comment

Yep, fine by me!

Comment

The last unfinished match of the current round of a tournament I'm in features a bare Q v R endgame. According to the Wiki page on pawnless endgames, that should end in a win for the Q with correct play. But in this game, on move 107 at the time of posting, the R side is 35 moves down (36 by the R side), 15 to go in targeting a draw under the 50 move rule.

wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawnle...en_versus_rook

the match: https://www.chess.com/daily/game/181259418

Edit: it looks as if black is about to checkmate on move 113, the 42nd of his 50 move ration.
                      Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 01-01-2018, 21:05.

Comment

Right, bored now. When's it starting?

Comment

I'm keen to go. Would be even keener if we could persuade ad hoc to play.

I managed to get Alekhine's gun in a game this week. Made me think of this thread.

Comment

I have had two beers and 1.5 white Russian today, so I'll try to set things up tomorrow. Drunk Wouter isn't the tournament director y'all deserve.

Comment

Sober Wouter is up and running, and so is the OTF Chess #13 setup. Invitations have been sent out. Please let me know if you are lacking one.

Comment

The annoying player who Sam and I have had experience of has just offered me a draw.

I'm playing black.

Comment

Dick. I hate it when people try and trick you into accepting a draw. Was it a deliberate trap to invite the knight to take your rook? Very sneaky if so.

Comment

I wish I could say it was but no, I thought I'd made a massive mistake.

Comment

Well done on the win. What a dick indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                        The annoying player who Sam and I have had experience of has just offered me a draw.

I'm playing black.

Whose move?

Are you playing up the board or down?

Comment

Black to move, playing up. (I assume.)
                                          [spoiler]h4xNg3 is a decisive move, threatening mate via Ra2-h2, white either resigns or throws all his/her pieces in the way until it's over.[/spoiler]

Comment

Sorry, yes, black to move and black at the bottom.

Comment

I haven't got an invite yet, Wouter. Was I too bossy?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                I haven't got an invite yet, Wouter. Was I too bossy?
                                                No, in fact, you were in my "pending invites" list. Must be a glitch. I've resent the invite. Could you check?

Comment

I'm in.

StuntP0pe (in the same final group as Levin and me) is a dick, and all. He's playing ludicrously slowly.

Comment

Oh and well done on the win, Levin, even if I suspect he's going to overhaul us both given his remaining opponents.

Actually I've just looked again and see that if you can beat him again he won't be able to catch you (assuming everyone beats StuntP0pe twice, but it'll be September 2019 before we find out ...).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X