Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Levin View Post
    Sorry, it was purely that you can't direct two tournaments at the same time can you?
    No worries! At the moment I honestly do not know the rules. Your remark did tickle my funny bone, is all.

Comment

Cor. I just reread my sentence and I'm not sure I'd understand if I didn't know what I meant.

Comment

I was thinking of having two tournaments effectively and having one with the players in the top half of our rankings and one with the bottom. Then next time we do the same but with relegations and promotions based on the first two-division tournament. Anyway, it's an idea.

Comment

The two groups one I like more in principle, as sometimes players improve dramatically from one edition to the next (as both ad hoc and Kev did, and as I wouldn't be surprised if others did in future) and it would mean that they could go through the playoffs rather than wait for the next tournament.

Comment

Yeah, that sounds like fun as well.

Comment

Yeah cool. I don't really mind and I don't know how to organise any of this.

Comment

Is the season over then?

Comment

Sorry, am quite busy at the moment. Will have a look tomorrow afternoon if I can set up another round.

Comment

Ha, sorry, didn't mean to be a nag, especially as I am not able to work out how to do it. I just wondered if I missed a load of posts saying that everyone was away presently.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                      Ha, sorry, didn't mean to be a nag, especially as I am not able to work out how to do it. I just wondered if I missed a load of posts saying that everyone was away presently.
                      Nah, don't worry about it. Can't blame anybody for inquiring after my inactivity.

Comment

Any advance on this, Wouter? I'm down to only five ongoing daily games at the moment.

Comment

I'm keen too. As I currently have 0 games going. Though Sam and I are both through to a final round of a tournament if some very slow players ever get it together.

Comment

I also am having chess withdrawal symptoms and would be keen to get involved in another tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                              I'm keen too. As I currently have 0 games going. Though Sam and I are both through to a final round of a tournament if some very slow players ever get it together.
                              We are? Which one's that? I've got 11 ongoing at present and my mother's about to shout 'dinner's ready!' so I don't have time to click through each of them to find out which one you're talking about ...

Comment

I'd be up for another tournament now, too, having returned from holiday this evening.

Comment

In the meantime, here's another ratings snapshot, with the figure in brackets showing the change since the previous snapshot (which was at the end of OTF 9 on 24 April, see page 70 of this thread).

IT......... 2006 (+34)
                                  ad hoc....1712 (+12)
                                  Alex........1653 (+42)
                                  Etienne.. 1576 (+159)
                                  EEG....... 1432 (+2)
                                  Levin..... 1385 (+61)
                                  VT......... 1373 (-)
                                  Wouter.. 1323 (-14)
                                  Matt...... 1300 (-)
                                  Sam...... 1214 (-18)
                                  Rogin.... 854 (-)
                                  Bored... 577 (-10)

Comment

Dear me, I've really let this "tomorrow" slide into some proper "mañana" territory, haven't I? Sorry for the wait.

I'll have a look into setting up something with multiple groups; not sure what chess.com enables us to do. I'll report back soon.

Comment

I really should have used this down time to get my rating up against others outside OTF, shouldn't I? Oh, well, ho hum.

Comment

I've been digging around the FAQ area of chess.com for a bit, and this is what I found. For OTF Chess 11, we can do three things:

a) Doing a tournament with first and second division
                                        b) Doing a tournament with two seeded groups (and additional losers' trophy)
                                        c) Doing our standard one-group thing

Native support on chess.com is available for option c), and for option b) minus the losers' trophy. Option a) and the trophy in option b) need to be managed by hand.

Every gold member of the chess.com site is allowed to manage at most ten tournaments simultaneously. However, one needs platinum or diamond membership to direct multi-round tournaments. So, if we go for option b), someone else needs to do the tournament direction. Other options I can manage.

A practical issue with option a) is that we need to know who is going to participate, before we can issue invitations to the correct persons for the correct divisions. For b) and c) we can just invite everybody through chess.com to the same tournament, and see who decides to show up. Option a) requires more overhead.

So, all that being said, let's put it to a vote! Would you prefer option a), b), or c)?

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                          I've been digging around the FAQ area of chess.com for a bit, and this is what I found. For OTF Chess 11, we can do three things:

a) Doing a tournament with first and second division
                                          b) Doing a tournament with two seeded groups (and additional losers' trophy)
                                          c) Doing our standard one-group thing

Native support on chess.com is available for option c), and for option b) minus the losers' trophy. Option a) and the trophy in option b) need to be managed by hand.

Every gold member of the chess.com site is allowed to manage at most ten tournaments simultaneously. However, one needs platinum or diamond membership to direct multi-round tournaments. So, if we go for option b), someone else needs to do the tournament direction. Other options I can manage.

A practical issue with option a) is that we need to know who is going to participate, before we can issue invitations to the correct persons for the correct divisions. For b) and c) we can just invite everybody through chess.com to the same tournament, and see who decides to show up. Option a) requires more overhead.

So, all that being said, let's put it to a vote! Would you prefer option a), b), or c)?
                                          As I will be at the bottom anyway, I am happy with (a) or (c) and don't really understand (b) but will go along with it.

Comment

I won't be able to compete, as I have rather surprisingly managed to progress from my first round group in a tournament, so my quota is full.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                              don't really understand (b) but will go along with it.
                                              Partition the field of chess players into two groups of, say, six each. They play a tournament round. Top-three of each group qualifies for the final group round. Bottom-three of each group now has nothing to do, so can play in some kind of trophy.

Comment

I'm happy to take part in any of a, b or c, though I'm sceptical about the merits of a, so slight preference for b or c.

Comment

Since people do not feel so strongly against our traditional way of organizing the tournaments, and this is by far the most straightforward to setup, I have created the OTF Chess #11 tournament in the old-fashioned way. Everyone's invited; let me know if you haven't received an invitation, and if you would like to have one.

Comment

I might be finished in my current tournament if you can hold on a couple of days.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X