Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ah, I see now, thanks IT!

Comment

Are summer holidays over up there yet? It's deepest darkest winter down here and if you lot fancy playing some chess any time soon, I'm well up for it. (I've actually got work this week, but still.)

Comment

I'm setting off on hols today (terrible timing re tonight's OTF Cambridge 'thon), but back on Sat 11th and up for chess any time from then onwards.

Comment

I am hoping that the only guy in the world that plays chess slower than I do picks up so that I can be available soon - certainly by the 11th. Etienne kindly set this up for me to raise my rating against similar players. However, I seem to have completely buggered up this opportunity - only picking up points against someone who timed out all his games and another who cheated. I am playing the second placed player presently and, seeing as it is the only game left in the tournament, I should really resign. However, he doesn't seem that good in reality so I am still ridiculously optimistic that I may get near to beating him. He will now, of course, checkmate me in the next move and I will be available for the next OTF tournament straight away.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
            I'm setting off on hols today (terrible timing re tonight's OTF Cambridge 'thon), but back on Sat 11th and up for chess any time from then onwards.
            I'm on a holiday until the 12th, so the timing works about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
              I am hoping that the only guy in the world that plays chess slower than I do picks up so that I can be available soon
              You're playing Rogin?

Comment

24 ... R a5

Comment

What was this minor issue brouhaha about Carlsen playing

2. N-a3 recently?

Regarded as an insult to his opponent or something?

Comment

From reading this, I get the impression it was more that it was a match in which that move was played and there happened to be some fuss, than that the fuss in question had anything to do with that move (although it is, as the article notes, an unusual one).

Comment

So, I'm back now, Wouter's back tomorrow, Sam's keen to play, Bored avaiable soon(?). Any chance of getting together enough of us for another tournament?

Comment

I'm available.

Comment

If Bored confirms, I'll check with Alex as well (he's in the UK at the moment but can play from there).

Comment

Bored is only at move 22 in this match: https://www.chess.com/daily/game/200033570
                            Not looking a great position, but equally not an imminent finish, and apparently not one being played at a flying pace.

Comment

Cheers! I thought I was in an ok position!

He offered me a draw a couple of moves back so, if everyone else is ready for the next OTF tournament, I might offer him one again

Comment

Tournament created, invites sent. If anyone wants to join who has not yet received an invite, let me know.

Comment

Well, it's not great in that you're a bishop and two pawns down. But he only needs a draw to win the tournament so he might accept.

Comment

Weird, it has let me join the OTF tournament while playing this match still.

Comment

Wonderful news! I'm in, and Alex has been informed.

Comment

Six people are registered right now. Do you want to start right about now, or do you want to give others a bit more time to react to the invites? I still have six invitations pending, but no idea if any of them are likely to come through.

Comment

Have you contacted TPC?

Comment

Well, we're quorate, but I would see what other channels we can use to get a definitive yes/no from the outstanding invitees first. Who are you waiting to hear from, Wouter? Presumably Sam can find out from Alex, and I'm due to meet ad hoc tomorrow (though if I remember rightly he's said he's unavailable for chess unless and until he changes that status). One or two on here are FB friends with TPC, no?

Comment

I've sent Alex a reminder. He's in London at the moment and gets up very early each day, so when I send him messages at this time he sees them first thing when he's more likely on his phone than his computer (so harder to accept the invitation), but I'll keep bugging him.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                                Have you contacted TPC?
                                                I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                                  Who are you waiting to hear from, Wouter?
                                                  I do not have a list right here right now, and I'm flying to a conference later today so I lack the time right now to check. Ad hoc is definitely one of them.

I'll get back to providing more information later.

Comment

ad hoc confirmed he's not up for this.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X