Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I approve of playing some games of chess. I also approve of BoE starting a thread to this end. But I do not approve of doing all the required administration myself, and I would really rather outsource that side of things. Would people be interested in an online OTF correspondence chess tournament, on, say, chess.com?

If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to set things up.

Oh, that sounds fun. I will be in. I will finish off the game I am playing on the other thread and come across to that (or do both)

Comment

I'd join. I'd lose every game I played, but what the hell!

Comment

Yes, sounds good to me too.

Comment

I'm in. I'm rubbish, but I'm in.

Comment

Aye, put me in too.

Comment

Okay, I have set up a tournament, but I can only invite people through their chess.com accounts. Could those of you who want to join create an account, and PM me their chess.com usernames?

Comment

OK, I've logged into the site, how do I play you guys?

Comment

cross post! My username is EtienneOTF

Comment

Mine is Kevchenko. Which is nice.

Comment

Mine is adhocfromotf

Comment

Thank you for this initiative, Smallcaps - and thanks to BoE, too, for getting the ball (/pawn?) rolling. I'm in.

I think I have a long dormant Chess.com account as ironytowers (without a space). Please get back to me if that turns out not to be the case.

Comment

Etienne, Kevchenko, Ad Hoc, and Irony Towers, you've all been invited. If no message shows up in your account, let me know.

edit: I go by a different name on chess.com, so expect an invitation from Wetenschaap.

Comment

I'm up for the occasional game. Thanks Smallcaps for setting it up!

My ID on chess.com is EEGaussOTF

Comment

I don't think I've received anything yet, Smallcaps.

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Yeah, fuck it. I'll give Rogin someone to beat at the very least. Think I've played about five games in my life, all against a computer/internet server. My username is samotf.

Comment

I must have screwed up yesterday's invites. Have now invited six chess.com members: Kev, Etienne, EEG, Sam, ironytowers, and ad hoc. Let me know if I screwed up a second time.

With my account, I can make tournaments of up to twelve participants. Hence, if anyone else wants to join, there are five more spots available.

Comment

I think I've registered for the tournament now.

Comment

Yes, I can confirm that Smallcaps, kev, ad hoc and me are now in.

Comment

Thanks Smallcaps, I've got the message and registered.

[deleted]

Comment

apologies all, only just seen how in copying Etienne's name format I've made my name barely visually distinguishable from his. If that becomes too irritating for others, I'll investigate whether my tag is changeable and if so how.

Comment

I am now in. Do I have to play 11 simultaneous games? Kasparov did that in his new film.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I am now in. Do I have to play 11 simultaneous games? Kasparov did that in his new film.
                                                I am not sure how it actually works. What that sentence suggests to me is that indeed you play games against all opponents (currently: six) simultaneously. At first glance that seemed quite weird to me, but I can also see how people might lose interest if all but two players have to wait for the final game in a round to end.

I currently have set the time for a single turn to 48 hours. This seems like a reasonable compromise between giving people enough time and not taking crazy long, but if someone has a strong opinion that it should be otherwise (especially now that more games have to be managed), do let me know.

All the people who have reacted to this thread so far have registered for the tournament. I suggest that we wait one more day for other interested people to show up, and if none do, we start the tournament tomorrow evening.

edit: hang about, I'm missing Sam. Let's wait for Sam.

Comment

Good grief, I must have been more tipsy than I thought last night. What have I let myself in for...

I'm in now, anyway. Going off to research what the chess equivalent of curling up into a foetal position and trying to protect all my soft bits is.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X