EVERYONE loves junior doctors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the first person I'd expect to be photographed supporting industrial action. He looks quite chuffed, as if it's something he's always wanted to do but was worried about what his peers would think.

I guess most people on here support the doctors' action. The removal of bursaries from student nurses is also absolutely shocking.

Could use this thread for more observations on the NHS, or pictures of celebrities alongside striking workers, whichever really.

I was seeing a junior doctor briefly. She was great, ever so posh, but I fucked it up like I always do. On our last date we were talking about industrial action and why doctors never went on strike. Funny, that.

She was really into pineapples and frozen margaritas. We went to Crazy Pedro's on our first date - they do a peach and black pepper margarita and a mango and chilli one. Dead good.

Comment

That sounds AMAZING. Is that in Manchester? My mouth is watering just reading it.

Comment

Yeah. Weird place. It's a pizza bar, they sell slices for a few quid, and then they've got the frozen margarita and daiquiri machines. Happy hour between 5-9 where all cocktails are two for one. But after a certain time it becomes an unbearable haven for lairy suit wankers fist pumping to SIMPLY THE BEST or something.

Comment

That sounds great, two of each then leave by 7.30.

This brainspeaker doesn't love those bastard smirkers

Comment

The Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, states the obvious rather than the contentious. Patients do not choose to fall ill on the basis of a five-day week. There is currently a meaningless row about how vulnerable a patient is who falls ill on a Friday night, but anyone who knows someone in such a position is aware that in most cases they must lie there with fingers crossed until the following Monday.

Hunt is speaking for all of us in seeking to establish reliable provision seven days a week. In regarding Saturday as a working day he is not a freak, but aware of the changing patterns of work. He could have had an easier time doing what a series of Labour Health Secretaries did and accepting the doctors’ terms without posing too many questions. Instead he carries around with him a book by Eric Topol, The Patient Will See You Now, highlighting his determination to empower the patient.
            Who wrote that, in which paper?

Steve Richards in the Indpendent.

Comment

The proposals for a seven-day NHS should be part of a debate about resources and structure. Even without that debate Hunt must prevail, breaking a barrier about working that is already broken elsewhere in the fast-changing world of work.
              Right because people spread too thinly could never cause problems, could it?

Comment

Comment

When people say something "should be part of a debate" they really mean "what I think should be railroaded through".

That's "centrists" for you.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                    The Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, states the obvious rather than the contentious. Patients do not choose to fall ill on the basis of a five-day week. There is currently a meaningless row about how vulnerable a patient is who falls ill on a Friday night, but anyone who knows someone in such a position is aware that in most cases they must lie there with fingers crossed until the following Monday.

Hunt is speaking for all of us in seeking to establish reliable provision seven days a week. In regarding Saturday as a working day he is not a freak, but aware of the changing patterns of work. He could have had an easier time doing what a series of Labour Health Secretaries did and accepting the doctors’ terms without posing too many questions. Instead he carries around with him a book by Eric Topol, The Patient Will See You Now, highlighting his determination to empower the patient.
                    Who wrote that, in which paper?

Steve Richards in the Indpendent.
                    Richards regularly writes unthinking bollocks, and that column is a prime example. Just curious though, is your point that it shouldn't be in the Independent? That it should not offer that opinion, or that it's so badly argued? Its 'independence' is purely illusory - and I've had my arguments with the Editor over that - but I'm happy if it has twats like him putting their ill-formed opinions across, as long as they have the opposite (and they mostly do, though I can't be bothered to post links).

Comment

Sort of.

If that's The Independent, what's the Express like, that's what I mean.

Richards is often OK, I think. He's been naive more than anything. Point is it doesn't work without extra money.

Comment

Funny how "naive" liberal commentators often become when the subject of industrial action comes up, innit?

Comment

Indeed (to Tubby's last point). And 'indeed' to E10 too. I fucking hate liberal commentators.

Comment

Indeed to all that.

It should be reasonably easy to do "see both sides" at the very least.

Comment

Government press officer interrupts interview with DoH spokesman to try and stop him being asked any questions http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2016/01/watch-government-press-officer-tries-silence-sky-news-journalists-strike

Comment

This debate reminds of the version of blackjack played at my school.

Hunt the cunt.

Comment

Hunt the cunt indeed...

Comment

EIM wrote: Yeah. Weird place. It's a pizza bar, they sell slices for a few quid, and then they've got the frozen margarita and daiquiri machines. Happy hour between 5-9 where all cocktails are two for one. But after a certain time it becomes an unbearable haven for lairy suit wankers fist pumping to SIMPLY THE BEST or something.
                                    In all likelihood the owner is not called Pedro nor is he crazy. That makes them extremely dodgy in my view.

Comment

This should be leading the news.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/02/breaking-almost-all-of-the-nhs-chiefs-who-initially-supported-hunt-have-withdrawn-support/

Almost all of the NHS chiefs listed by Jeremy Hunt as supporting his contract for Junior Doctors have withdrawn their support for its imposition.

In the media yesterday and in Parliament, Hunt implied he had the support of NHS chiefs in imposing that contract on doctors. That claim is now in tatters.

The Health Service Journal reports this afternoon (paywall) that 14 NHS chief executives have now openly said they oppose Hunt imposing the contract on Junior Doctors.

One chief executive even said she had wanted her name removed before the list went public.

Only two chief executives have publicly come out in support of the Health Secretary’s actions yesterday.

Comment

Comment

Kathy Gyngell: Roots of doctors’ strike lie in feminisation of the profession

http://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/kathy-gyngell-roots-of-doctors-strike-lie-in-feminisation-of-the-profession/

As I have written on this site before, girls increasingly dominate places at medical school and in the profession. Governments, however, remain blind to the consequences of this – a shortfall in staffing and quality of care. Women do not share men's commitment to work. Their demands for part-time and family-friendly working conditions have changed the culture of the profession too– negatively. The current strike action is an example of how feminisation corrupts the attitudes of their remaining male colleagues. They too have adopted the women’s self-interested producer capture culture.

Comment

The thing is that governments of all stripes over the last three or four generations have found it easy to devalue teachers so that many of the public just don't respect them as a default position. Obviously, society has always held social workers in a similarly low esteem because they are evil, right? I don't think that they will be able to turn the public against nurses yet but junior doctors? They are over paid, junior and not working weekends (according to the media)

Comment

It's a neat modern version of "union bully boys", you have to admit.

"Feminized family balance striking doctors".

Comment

Possibly my favorite bit of Wikipedia vandalism ever, there. Some wag also replaced his entire entry with the page for "cunt" recently.

Comment

Wow. That Kathy Gyngell is quite, quite mad. It's positively flat-earthish on that site.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X