X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashes to Ashes

David Bowie dies.

Ashes to Ashes

69 of course, but I'm gobsmacked. Farewell Major Tom.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

Terrible.

That run of albums 1970-80 is incredible and I sometimes wonder why I bother to listen to anything else.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

Agreed.

Christ, what a loss. Listening to his latest work had me worried, I have to admit.

I guess I'll find some better words when I'm feeling a little less shocked.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

Terrible news. Rest in peace.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

A real, real shocker.

Its no understatement to say he was such an icon, and in recent years, he was really regarded as a music great, and then when 'The Next Day' was released, this really cemented this.

RIP, David Robert Jones.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

What news to wake up to. I feel hollowed out,

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

I thought he would go on forever. Old stars dying rarely shocks, but this really does.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

I echo all the above sentiments. In my opinion the most influential musical artist to pass away in my lifetime since Lennon.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

Shocking indeed, I feel rather like I did as a 9 yr old on hearing and trying to understand Space Oddity.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

Ah, shit. A massive part of my youth & admired him keeping a low profile in recent years too.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

He was always there in my musical consciousness, even as a very young kid, from the time of Ziggy onwards, who/which I didn't much care for, but was still fascinated by. Young Americans was the first time I liked him but then Station to Station through to Scary Monsters, what a run of albums that was, more appreciated by me in retrospect than at the time though I had mates who were obsessed.
                        Even at the last, with Blackstar, he still had the capacity to unnerve.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

Sad, sad news.

After years of relative silence and rumours about his health, his renewed activity in the last year makes this all the more shocking. Returning to the public eye on his own terms may even have enabled him, and his family, to face his final illness privately. A genius to the end.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

tee rex wrote: I thought he would go on forever. Old stars dying rarely shocks, but this really does.
                            Perhaps more shocking in that he gave no indication of his illness. I had no idea he was so unwell.
                            Maybe explains the recent surge of creativity, in similar fashion to Johnny Cash and Freddie Mercury before they died. I suppose that also adds to the shock, the feeling that there was still more to come at an age when most artists are doing greatest hits tours and Vegas.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

Also there was never a more appropriate use of the term artist for a musician. Not only at the very summit of the music industry, when you see the garbage (literally sometimes) presented as potential Turner prize winners, you realise that what Bowie created was far superior. True art.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

There were rumours around that he was ill, but it seemed to have blown over a bit recently.

Nice to see the Daily Heil running a hit-piece on him today. Classy and perfectly timed as always.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

They're playing half hour of his stuff on Radio 2 right now. RIP.. Must admit trying to sing along to Heroes just then was impossible. What a body of work and influence.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

I was listening to Blackstar all over the weekend.
                                    I guess he knew it was coming given some of the lyrics. (Seems obvious in hindsight.)

Lazarus

Look up here, I’m in heaven
                                    I’ve got scars that can’t be seen
                                    I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen
                                    Everybody knows me now

Look up here, man, I’m in danger
                                    I’ve got nothing left to lose
                                    I’m so high it makes my brain whirl
                                    Dropped my cell phone down below
                                    Ain’t that just like me

By the time I got to New York
                                    I was living like a king
                                    Then I used up all my money
                                    I was looking for your ass

This way or no way
                                    You know, I’ll be free
                                    Just like that bluebird
                                    Now ain’t that just like me

Oh I’ll be free
                                    Just like that bluebird
                                    Oh I’ll be free
                                    Ain’t that just like me

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

Nothing much more to add other than it puts his recent activity into perspective and it's terribly sad news.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

hobbes wrote: There were rumours around that he was ill, but it seemed to have blown over a bit recently.

Nice to see the Daily Heil running a hit-piece on him today. Classy and perfectly timed as always.
                                        What was the Heil hatchet job about? Presumably they've pulled it online.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

it's still up. But I'm not linking to it.
                                          Haven't read it apart from a glance over some fucking idiot's shoulder on the train, but it's an Angie Bowie expose.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

Ah, seen it. Unreadable and vile even without the new context, Jan Moir, bleeeaarrgghh.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

Nothing to add to some of the excellent posts already here.

Terrible news.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

Miserable news, of course. But here's a game you can play to lighten your mood (oh come on, it's what he would have wanted) - watch or listen to the news reports and try to work out which presenters genuinely loved David Bowie and which ones haven't got a clue whether he recorded Ashes To Ashes or Fade To Grey.

Bill Turnbull broke the news on BBC Breakfast, he reeled off a list of Bowie albums and seemed genuinely shocked, but then he always comes across as a very genuine person. Susanna Reid on ITV affected an ersatz heartfelt tone of voice that wasn't convincing anyone, and it was left to Lorraine Kelly to save the day with a spontaneous string of Bowie recollections.

Radio 1 was priceless. But then what do you except? "69 year old rock star who was last in the charts when your mum was younger than you are now has died. Come on kids, it's sad." Nick Grimshaw resorted to regaling us with an amusing vignette about his choice of Bowie t-shirt.

Comment

Ashes to Ashes

Re: Angie Bowie, she's on Celebrity Big Brother at the moment (I don't, before you ask) so it's probably on the back of that.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X