Tennis singles 2017 YE: PREDICTIONS NOW PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the men's side, I have no boldness to offer: my top 3 is current top 3 in order, and my top 4 is a perm of Multipleman's top 4. Difficult to do otherwise when the top guys just seem so dominant. I paid the price last year for my ambitious punt on Kyrgios (though I was damn right about Raonic). This year there were only 5 names I considered seriously: the 4 I've ended up choosing, plus Nishikori. Oh, and just possibly Thiem or Wawrinka at opposite ends of the age spectrum. I don't see Federer back in the top 10.

1. Murray
    2. Djokovic
    3. Raonic
    4. Nadal

On the women's side, it all seems so much less predictable: there must be a dozen or more women who would have a really strong chance of a top 4 year end ranking. Only Serena seems to me to be a "must choose".
    But that makes the guessing more fun.

1. Ka Pliskova
    2. S Williams
    3. Kerber
    4. Keys

Comment

I was almost tempted to make an attention-grabbing shout of Kasatkina, who is storming up the rankings, and who I reckon will end the year with a single figure ranking. But probably not quite top 4 within the next twelve months.

Comment

Bumping this partly to seek more entrants to the contest but also to ask if anyone can let me know how, as thread originator, I can edit the thread title (to change the year, obv.)

Comment

Go to your opening post, edit it, and then edit the title.

It's really that simple.

Comment

Ta very much Gero!

Comment

Djokovic
              Murray
              Raonic
              Wawrinka

Kerber
              Muguruza
              Williams (S)
              Pliskova

Comment

Djokovic
                Murray
                Zverev (Alex)
                Raonic

Kerber
                Serena
                Muguruza
                Konta

Comment

I was tempted by del Potro - if he remains injury free, he's a good top 4 bet, but I wonder if he will. So, anyway...

Djokovic
                  Murray
                  Nishikori
                  Thiem

Williams (S)
                  Pliskova (Ka)
                  Keys
                  Halep

Comment

Something of a stab-in-the-dark at this stage, as what went on in pre-season training will have a lot to day about it. But here goes anyway.

Men's
                    Djokovic
                    Nadal
                    Murray
                    Goffin

Women's
                    Kerber
                    Cibulkova
                    S.Williams (from only ~7 tournaments)
                    Bencic

Comment

Djokovic
                      Raonic
                      Nadal
                      Murray

Serena Williams
                      Pliskova
                      Kerber
                      Bencic

Comment

hawkvshandshaw, are you familiar to us under a previous username?

Comment

Yeah I used to be Haussmann.

Comment

ah, ok. Thanks for the predictathon entry. I'd been wondering if you were SSK, a tennis thread regular who entered this contest last year but not (so far at least) this year (as is also the case with Etienne, but I know he's still posting as Etienne). Still, with the addition of 4 new entrants, we've got a field of 8 so far compared to last year's 6.

Comment

1. Murray
                              2. Djokovic
                              3. Nishikori
                              4. Del Potro (if anyone's going to stick their neck out for him, it'd better be me.)

1. Kerber
                              2. S. Williams
                              3. Muguruza
                              4. Halep

Comment

I'm kind of ashamed of my start - having one player (Serena) left amongst the last 16 of the first major of the year. It's kind of shatteringly bad. But looking at other peoples' success rate here makes me feel less terrible.

Comment

It's a marathon not a sprint, SB!

Comment

Federer
                                    Nadal
                                    Djokovic
                                    Murray
                                    is still available to any late entrants.

It won't be that, though. The top two names are simply not going to play enough tournaments this year to accumulate sufficient points.

Comment

Such late entrants are too late, because...

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Anyway, get your predictions in for 2017 year end! Ideally and for maximum righteousness, do so before a competitive ball is struck in the new year, but entries up to the start of the Aussie Open will be accepted.
                                      But yes, one Slam does not a year make. Which is why I'm not (yet) sweating on my prediction of Delpo to make the top four.

Comment

Sam, this is it, and no, you can't change your entry, sorry. Occupational hazard. Everyone has Serena somewhere in their top 4.

Comment

Haha, thanks! I thought there was a separate thread for it somewhere but couldn't remember what it was called. And I was only joking really. Maybe they'll protect her ranking while she's out ...

Comment

They will. But only for entry into tournaments, not for seeding and World No.1 purposes.

Comment

Bumping this because multipleman was asking about it.

The predictions for YE 2017 start a few posts from the foot of page 1 (the earlier posts are about the 2016 competition).

We're all doing terribly, though I think Janik gets a special prize for saying *expressly* what the rest of us just implied, namely that Federer and Nadal would not be the top two.

Comment

Still a lot of points to play for, but on the ATP side, just comparing the 9 entries with the current top 4 in the YTD ("Race") rankings, being Nadal, Federer, A Zverev, Thiem, I can report that 2 of the 9 have not a single one of those, and the other 7 entries have exactly one name each from the current Race top 4 (being 4 x Nadal, 2 x Thiem and 1 x A Zverev).

Comment

The currently lowest Race-ranked player in anyone's entry is still Del Potro, at 25, tipped by Sam, but I can see him overtaking Murray, Nishikori and Raonic (all tipped by multiple entrants) by the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                                    We're all doing terribly, though I think Janik gets a special prize for saying *expressly* what the rest of us just implied, namely that Federer and Nadal would not be the top two.
                                                    And despite that, my Women's tips are somehow worse! I've managed to pick three players who were about to embark on their worst season for years, and one who was already pregnant at the point I was writing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X