No announcement yet.

Tennis singles 2017 YE: PREDICTIONS NOW PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, the men's and women's senior tour seasons are both now over, so the calendar year end rankings are known at the top end. I would say that finalises our predictathon scores, but due to a couple of entrants tipping Bencic, currently in 98th place and therefore possibly interested in collecting more points from the remainder of the ITF season, there may yet be some mitigation of Bencic-related predictathon points still to come for Janik and hawkvshandsaw.

Having carefully crafted a set of rules for positive points which would have worked well in 2016, I see it has become utterly irrelevant given the 2017 outcomes which none of us got near. In particular, everybody's top 4 on the men's side included both Murray and Djokovic, everybody tipped Serena and most of us tipped Kerber. The result is that the scoring is a bit like it often is on QI, the winner being the lowest negative score.

Of the actual top 4 men, not one of us tipped either Federer or Dimitrov, just one of us (Gero) tipped Zverev, and only 4 of us tipped Nadal (from a predictathon field of 9 entrants). For a top 4 spot I mean - none of us tipped Nadal to end top.

Of the actual top 4 women, 4 of us (different 4 for each) tipped Halep, Muguruza and Pliskova for a top 4 finish, but none of us tipped Wozniacki.

Ad hoc wins on the WTA side, and with the additional distinction of being the only entrant to correctly place any player, male or female, having managed that with two WTA placings, namely Muguruza in 2nd and Pliskova in 4th.

Janik wins comfortably on the ATP side, due mainly to being the only entrant not to tip any player who ended outside the top 20 (everyone else having tipped one or the other of Raonic and Nishikori). Which is a mirror image of his wooden spoon entry on the WTA side, which didn't include any player who ended inside the top 20.

multipleman78 and Jimski have the equal best combined WTA+ATP scores.

With apologies for any miscalculations, the final scores (subject, as I say, to what Belinda does for the rest of the year) are:

ATP
    1. Janik (-28)
    2= mulitpleman78, San B and Jimski (-45)
    5 Gero (-46)
    6 hawkvshandsaw (-47)
    7 EEG (-49)
    8- ad hoc, Sam (-51)

WTA
    1. ad hoc (-39)
    2= multipleman78, Jimski (-42)
    4 Sam (-44)
    5 Gero (-46)
    6 EEG (-56)
    7 San B (-57)
    8 hawkvshandsaw (-135)
    9 Janik (-157)

Combined
    1. mulitipleman78, jimski (-87)
    3. ad hoc (-90)
    4. Gero (-92)
    5. Sam (-95)
    6. San B (-102)
    7. EEG (-105)
    8. hawkvshandsaw (-182)
    9. Janik (-185)
    Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 20-11-2017, 01:52.

Comment

Hahaha, well done everyone. Now let's never speak of this again. (Until we start the 2018 contest, of course.)

Comment

I suspect that, if we get a similar number of entrants at the start of 2018, we'll have a much greater diversity of entries this time. So many imponderables.

On the men's side: will Murray get back to top form or is his hip shot? Is there anything stopping Djokovic getting back to the top? Can Federer continue to defy the ageing process? How is Nadal's knee going to fare? Will A Zverev make the next step up this soon? Is Dimitrov the real deal? Will Raonic and/or Nishikori resurge? Will Delpo put a consistent performance in across enough tournaments? Will Kyrgios suddenly mature? Does Wawrinka still have it in him?

And the women's side seems as open as ever, with at least a dozen, perhaps twenty serious possibilities, and two big new questions: can Serena regain form at her advanced age post-maternity, and does Drugscheat have top level abilities still?

Comment

My stabs in the dark in answer to those.
          - I think his hip is shot. He reportedly looked just as impaired in that exhibition against Federer as he did at Wimbledon four months ago.
          - Yes, loads. He was already way off the level of 2015 due to personal problems before injuries added to it.
          - Not forever. It's been a long twilight, but eventually he has to drop away. Surely...
          - Open question, of course, but like Murray's hip (and ankle, and back) it will always be an issue.
          - Probably. The goal is open.
          - Raonic should. Nishikori is the new Tommy Haas, potentially great but always stymied by fitness/injuries.
          - Nope. He can't trust his writs on his backhands, so he will always be in-and-out.
          - Leopards. Spots. Unchangeability.
          - Open question. His game is the sort that will be very difficult to keep doing into his mid-30s.
          - Odds-on that Serena returns to winning Slams, especially with no-one emerging as the new Queen Bee.
          - She clearly has the ability. It's her fitness that might prevent her from getting back up there. Similar boat to Wawrinka in the style being very tough on the body, even with the best pharmacological help that money can buy.

Other WTA question - will Azarenka's custody situation get resolved, and where will her mind be at once it has been?

Comment

Considering the mess that 2017 was i am not sure coming top of the combined list is that much of a claim but i will take it as i am used to finishing near the bottom. I am a bit like Leicester, i need everyone else to be off their game at the same time to profit.

Comment

Working...
            X