Play the ball again Sam - Rugby League 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, unless I'm mistaken, England now "control their own destiny," to use an American cliche. If they beat Australia, they will play them again in the final. If they lose, Australia plays NZ in the final. If they draw, then I'm not sure how it's decided, but England already have scored more points than NZ and already have a better point differential, largely thanks to their blow-out of Scotland.

Comment

Hot Pepsi wrote: So, unless I'm mistaken, England now "control their own destiny," to use an American cliche. If they beat Australia, they will play them again in the final. If they lose, Australia plays NZ in the final. If they draw, then I'm not sure how it's decided, but England already have scored more points than NZ and already have a better point differential, largely thanks to their blow-out of Scotland.
      A win or a draw will get England into the final, the draw being enough based on points differential (head to head isn't a factor, fortunately for England).

Comment

So that's it for another year, Australia proving to be a class above both New Zealand, with the third comprehensive win over them in the space of a month. The Four Nations can be counted a success for the TV coverage it got, and in overall terms for the attendances (enough to turn a profit apparently, but still could and should have done better). It was a roaring success for Scotland but did little in terms of their longer term development. England and New Zealand both have a lot of work to do ahead of next year's World Cup.

Last week's game at the Olympic Stadium could be the last we see of England in the flesh for some time - they are playing a mid season test next year, but it is against Samoa, and in Australia. There is little merit in them playing an end of season World Cup warm up before they depart for Australia, with the NRL boys missing, on a cold October night in Leigh or somewhere (cue announcement that that's what they are indeed doing).

Haven't seen it yet but there is to be an announcement on the international calendar for the three years that lie between the next two World Cups.

Toronto have been busy on the media front today - signing Fuifui Moimoi, announcing pre season friendlies again Hull and Wigan (and a private 'scrimmage' with Cronulla) and announcing their own UK TV deal - all home and away games will be shown on Premier next year.

In other news Bradford are back in administration, and an Italian club has joined a French regional league. It's all go.

Comment

I saw that the IRLB or whatever it's called have awarded the 2025 WC to USA and Canada. I'll start gradually ramping up my excitement now.

Saw a few highlights of the final. Australia are obviously dominant, but NZ looked like shit at times - at least from what I could tell.

Comment

A couple of things that have come up recently.

First of all there is the tragic death of Ronan Costello, the 17 year old who died three days after suffering a head injury back in June. The coroner ruled that the death was accidental. By all accounts he slipped or stumbled before the tackle causing his head or chin to come into contact first when he was tackled.

The second piece of news is the Denny Solomona row where the player "retired" from rugby league only to then turn up playing for Sale Sharks. The latest is that Sale claim he was fired by Castleford although they say otherwise. This is now a cross-sport issue where one player retires from one sport only to then pop up playing another. If it were to happen in the business world, would he be in breach of contract? I think the answer is yes, so why shouldn't it be the same in sport?

Comment

The Sale-Sharks-and-Denny-Solomona-are-a-bunch-of-cunts story was brought up on the all new shiny 2017 RL thread http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/31-sport/1273745-totally-wicked-wolfpack-and-a-world-cup-rugby-league-2017#1286267

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll just add the Ronan Costello bit to it then.

Comment

Working...
                X