No announcement yet.

Lemmy is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very well put (although I didn't have a favourite).

Comment

Comment

Comment

'Hammersmith' is one of the greatest live albums ever released but it was a tough standard to maintain and that inevitably put strain on the trio. Plus I imagine that Lemmy was a difficult tour companion.

Comment

"No sleep...." is, in my view, the greatest album ever released. Listened to it a lot recently and listened to it this morning on my run (sorry, Lem, Phil and Eddie). What is amazing about it is how varied it is. Of course, it starts with "Ace Of Spades" which was pretty much state of the art for metal then but still was that bit faster, that bit thrashier but still with a catchy hook/memorable chorus and, of course, the "You know I'm going to lose..." vocal middle. After that are "Stay Clean" and "Metropolis" which not only highlight Philthy's reggae and ska background but, also, along with "Iron Horse" and "Capricorn", take the tempo right down again and are more like more muscular blues than any sort of NWOBHM (which Motörhead really had very little to do with). Then there's "The Hammer" which is very much part of Motörhead's catalogue that borders on punk, along with "Bomber" and "No Class". The only songs that really are thrash metal - or, at least, the precursor to - are "We are the Road Crew", Overkill and Motorhead itself but, again, with the more sophisticated song-writing and structure of a band that were rooted in influences wider than Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. Overkill was, of course, another example of Taylor's incredible drumming which did pretty much invent thrash metal but has a much better rhythm and feel that later exponents such as Dave Lombardo. It is also the best song. By anyone. Anywhere. Ever.

I also have the somewhat under-rated "Golden Years" E.P. on my copy which isn't authentic but does make the whole "No Sleep..." experience even better.

Comment

Working...
            X