• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lemmy is dead

Good

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Liberation go to town with their front page, their headline sums up the news too:

Comment

Lemmy is dead

This is apposite

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Very sad news, as stated above everyone knew it was on the cards, but it still seems to have happened suddenly- Motorhead were still touring Europe two or three weeks ago, though the clips I've seen on Youtube suggest Lemmy wasn't 100%, to say the least.
          Someone upthread mentioned Lemmy offering out an entire front row after a gobbing incident; this wasn't a one off. I remember a gig in Birmingham in the mid eighties where there had been a couple of stage incursions. At the end of the song, Lemmy fixed the audience with a stare and growled: 'When I'm on stage, this stage is mine. And I don't need any help... I'll kick you in the fucking eye.' No more stage divers.
          Another legend gone.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

hawkvshandsaw wrote: Changed my username in a bid to be a bit less of an arse on here, by way of a fresh start for the new year (it was Haussmann before).
            hawkvshandsaw wrote: Good
            7 minutes later. I wonder if that constitutes a record for breaking a new year resolution.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Aye, I don't think anyone could believe that one and assumed Haussmann was talking about Sensible's eulogy. Or rather hoped he was.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                thanks to the popularity of thrash metal bands such as Limp Bizkit.
                Hahahahahahahahaha fuck OFF.
                Quite. That really is p*ss-poor.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Ray de Galles wrote: Liberation go to town with their front page, their headline sums up the news too:

Today's obit in the notional newspaper of Norn Iron reminded us that they wimped out of local gigs for quite a few years (when sometime guitarist Wurzel was worried about attracting Bon Jovi threats as an ex-squaddie).

Not those Bon Jovis, the other ones.

Has Charlie Hebdo commented yet? "Nous sommes la Metalle a frapper".

While I'm being mildly distasteful, flooded Yorkshire postcard village Tadcaster has changed its name to Pontefract.

Arf.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

That twat out of The Teardrop Explodes wimped out of a gig at our place a few years back due to the 'uncertain political situation'
                    He got laughed out of town.
                    Well, he would have, had he bothered coming.

A mate of mine told me yesterday Lemmy was pulling pints in the biker haunt Viking Bar (Anne St. - for DG) before their infamous Maysfield gig in 1980 when the shit was hitting the fan big-time.
                    Don't think Lemmy was unduly worried about some boys who didn't give a shit about him either.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Calvert wrote: Aye, I don't think anyone could believe that one and assumed Haussmann was talking about Sensible's eulogy. Or rather hoped he was.
                      I hoped he was.

Hey, it's Christmas and I am trying to be nice to everyone nowadays.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

He struck me as being sincere about his tastes, rather than trying to only admit to 'cool' choices. He wasn't afraid to say that he loved Abba and The Beatles. I don't think he was an intellectual but nor was he some kind of Spinal Tap figure. He chose the framework in which he wanted to live and although it was narrow, he occupied it sincerely and honorably.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

I've just realised the album I pinched from my brother was the eponymous debut, not On Parole. Well there you go. I thought they were one and the same.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Satchmo Distel wrote: I don't think he was an intellectual but nor was he some kind of Spinal Tap figure.
                            Depends what you mean by intellectual really. Obviously, he wasn't an academic intellectual but had a speed-fuelled voracious reading capacity and, as he was obsessed by history, could probably have done quite well academically in that area. His lyrics also reflected that with often a whole album's worth being written in two days with him locked in a room with a load of speed. Hence his lyrics being often fascinating, original and brilliant certainly within the parameters of rock, punk and metal at the time.

When asked sensible and original questions about a whole manner of issues, Lemmy could speak eloquently and intelligently about them. I remember him explaining to a couple of German journalists about how Bangladeshi immigrants were often disliked because they came into a Britain where everything was shut on Sunday and had early closing days once a week while they worked hard and worked long hours. Obviously, he wasn't blaming the immigrants but a culture of post-war Britain that he obviously reviled (hence, I expect, the comments about Labour and, probably, Thatcher - although who knows with that last one).

There are only a couple of people within 'rock music' who are that intelligent - David Lee Roth, Kim Thayil, the Manics - and most of those are university graduates. In a different time with a different upbringing, he would have perhaps gone to Uni. As it was, for a 70 year old with not much of a schooling, he had a lot of progressive attitudes that many of my mum and dad's age haven't even though they grew up through the 60s.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Sits wrote: I've just realised the album I pinched from my brother was the eponymous debut, not On Parole. Well there you go. I thought they were one and the same.
                              Yes, always odd and confusing, those two but, really, not the best anyway. Overkill must have been a bloody revelation afterwards.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Watching his memorial now streaming on YouTube.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

There are only a couple of people within 'rock music' who are that intelligent
                                  Bit sweeping, that.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Yes, off the top of my head: Sioux and Severin, Brian Eno, John Foxx, Shane McGowan, Howard Devoto ...

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Bored of Education wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Sits
                                      I've just realised the album I pinched from my brother was the eponymous debut, not On Parole. Well there you go. I thought they were one and the same.
                                      Yes, always odd and confusing, those two but, really, not the best anyway. Overkill must have been a bloody revelation afterwards.
                                      But I still absolutely love the version of Motörhead with the motorbike at the start and everything up to eleven, including the speed. So much energy.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

A fitting tribute.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

So, after smoking, drinking and taking drugs for years, Lemmy was killed by prostate cancer in the end. If that isn't enough to warn you to get your prostate checked, I don't know what is.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

I may have missed it when skimming through this thread, but was there a particular reason why Lemmy sung into the mike tilting dangerously downwards?

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Good point, I was thinking recently that it was one of the things I have never known about him. From experience, if you are singing upwards, it does keep you from slouching and squashing your diaphragm and lungs and keeps your throat nice and open but I am not sure that he was thinking that.

He had it slightly lower in Hawkwind but not that much. Of course, his bass was very high up as well but that was probably to help with the chord playing.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Ah, here we go. Thanks for getting me to look that up LW

He said that it was for "personal comfort, that's all. It's also one way of avoiding seeing the audience. In the days when we only had ten people and a dog, it was a way of avoiding seeing that we only had ten people and a dog.

Comment

Fast Eddie Clarke has now joined the other two from Motorhead

Comment

Bloody hell! All three of the classic line up gone in a little over two years, I thought Eddie was in good health too. That line up will always be the coolest gang in rock & roll to me, desperately sad to see the last of them pass.

Eddie was pretty much my favourite from the band and was an under-rated guitarist. I always loved Eddie’s rare forays in to lead vocals (usually on cover versions) too.
                                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-01-2018, 14:19.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X