RIP indeed.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Killed By Death.

R.I.P.

Thank you for all the memories.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

As an aside, he really hated religion so I'm not sure "RIP" is at all fitting,

Everyone knew this was coming but, fuck me, it's very hard to deal with. So soon after Philthy Animal's death last month too.

Two thirds of possibly the coolest gang in rock & roll gone in a matter of weeks.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Aw, fuck it anyway.
            Poor Eddie Clarke must be in bits, what with the Animal dying a few weeks ago also.

His headstone is bound to be a cracker.
            I suggest an Iron Cross with 'HE DIDN'T GIVE TWO FUCKS' emblazoned on it.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Rock in Peace, whatever.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

I don't think he was that much in to peace, either.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Whatever, he's dead. I've changed the thread title.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

The "peace" line was quite obviously humorous, I thought.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

I don't have a problem either way, have changed it to avoid conflict as I've had enough of it today.

Sorry, I'm not in a mood with you but I'm tired and bored of arguing from earlier on here, and someone has let me down a bit tonight IRL.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

I saw someone on facebook make a Lemmy/Keith Richards surviving a nuclear holocaust like the cockroaches line this past week.

Unbelievable.

I'll always love HHH's entrance in WrestleMania 17.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

This Iron Horse flies.

Things will never be quite the same.

Rest in Noise.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Well, he didn't say an awful lot of things about my life but I always thought Motorhead made an agreeable racket.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

I dislike post-1980 metal, but Motorhead was one of those bands that transcends its genre. I saw them once as a teenager on their Ace of Spades tour, and made the effort to catch them live in September thinking it might be the last chance to see them again, and unfortunately it was.

Lemmy looked pretty good 4 months ago, his cancer must have struck him hard and fast. RIP.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Overkill may perhaps be the greatest 5 minutes of pure noise ever committed to vinyl. It is glorious. I watched the documentary about him a few years ago and he was exactly as you would expect him to be- gruff, funny, honest and very open and gregarious.

He was absolutely genuine, a one off and a true rock god. He'll be knocking back the jack and coke in Valhalla right now.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

He found out he had cancer on Saturday, and died on Monday. Jesus!

1 Ace Of Spades (obviously)
                                  2 Overkill
                                  3 No Class
                                  4 Bomber
                                  5 Iron Fist

Comment

Lemmy is dead

I dislike post-1980 metal
                                    That doesn't leave you much, does it?

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Green Calx wrote: He found out he had cancer on Saturday, and died on Monday. Jesus!

1 Ace Of Spades (obviously)
                                      2 Overkill
                                      3 No Class
                                      4 Bomber
                                      5 Iron Fist
                                      Excellent post, Sir.

AoS sounds damned good played on a George Formby, albeit not by me. Perhaps Berba will do the honors?

Comment

Lemmy is dead

RIP, Mr Kilmister. Sad to hear.

Motörhead were never a metal band. Their likeable racket stood them head and shoulders* above all that NWOBHM stuff that was happening at the time of their commercial peak.

(* A product not widely used among that scene's followers. [/stereotyping])

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Green Calx wrote: He found out he had cancer on Saturday, and died on Monday. Jesus!
                                          Didn't leave much time for a second opinion.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Motorhead on the greatest ever episode of the Young Ones

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Not, it has to be said, a great surprise as he had been looking frail for a while and, I think, the death of Philthy Animal somewhat blew the wind out of the sails of the shock of this a bit. A brilliantly intelligent, funny, curmudgeonly and creative man who, quite simply, formed the best band ever. Early classic Motorhead quite simply surpassed heavy metal or, indeed, the rock and roll that they liked to insist that they played. To take someone who grew up on rock and roll, lived through Hendrix and Hawkwind and loved the likes of MC5 and add a ex-skinhead drummer who loved reggae and learnt to play from jazz and Tamla Motown records and a guitarist who played with a great variety of bands including Curtis Knight and you do not end up with a straightforward heavy metal band. I am not disappointed that I didn't see them recently. I would have seen them the next time they were playing nearby as I thought they wouldn't be touring again but, while still good value, they weren't what they were and I have seen them more than any other band.

Another sign that Lemmy was something else is that The Today programme this morning has already done two different reports on him. I would be surprised if they do that for, say, Bruce Dickinson or Brian Johnson let alone Biff Byford. Lemmy has become a cultural icon that transcends what he actually did and people who loved what he did. He is irreplaceable because he wasn't just a bassist/vocalist or the leader of Motorhead, he was Lemmy.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

I enjoyed his stuff more in the relatively short peak-Hawkwind period, but he was an iconic character who could tell a good yarn too.

Comment

Lemmy is dead

Silver Machine by Hawkwind.

My favourite, a truly transcendent song and performance.

(Despite this being one of my favourite non-Bowie records of the 70s, I famously forgot (on radio) that he'd even been in Hawkwind; but I'm sure he did too, from time to time.)

Fine obit. from Bored there.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X