Euro 2016 Panini Stickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just getting in early to establish the thread.

The Panini Wales collection reminds people to look out for the Wales players in the official tournament album next year. Having collected the World Cup 2014 set I might do the same for Euro 2016.

I'm rather pleased to have 5 year old and 7 year old boys as an excuse for getting stuck into Euro2016 sticker albums and/or Match Attax.

Comment

They are actually quite educational. In 1978, I had no idea what Peruvians looked like (IIRC Cubillas was in almost every packet I bought).

Comment

As was Lato:

Comment

Lato's World Cup stickers tell the story of struggle against the inevitable.

Comment

Awesome Lato collection.

Personally I'm looking forward to trying to sound authorative on the pronunciation of Icelandic and Albanian footballers.

Comment

I hope they actually use the Icelandic letters þ and ð on the stickers and don't try to fob people off with a p or a d.

In case you weren't sure:
              þ is a hard 'th' as in 'thin'
              ð is a soft 'th' as in 'this'

The male name Þjóðbjörn has them both in, pleasingly. As for those vowels, ó is an 'oh' and 'ö' is an 'ur' (without the r, if you see what I mean. Like the German one).

Comment

It's the ð that most often gets missed out, though, with þ often replaced by a 'th', as in Sigþórsson/Sigthórsson.

But it's not Eidur Gudjohnsen. It's Eiður Guðjohnsen.

Comment

They used to print the team names in the language of the country so Hungary was Magyarorzag (typed from memory). Looking forward to seeing Cymru as a page heading.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: I hope they actually use the Icelandic letters þ and ð on the stickers and don't try to fob people off with a p or a d.

The male name Þjóðbjörn has them both in, pleasingly. As for those vowels, ó is an 'oh' and 'ö' is an 'ur' (without the r, if you see what I mean. Like the German one).
                    Fans of the 'to bach' will also be looking for the correct spelling of Owain Fôn Williams.

Comment

Looking forward to the Tuaisceart Éireann and Poblacht na hÉireann pages.

Comment

Comment

I'm afraid that recent Panini practice for the stickers themselves has been to use the three letter country abbreviations favoured by broadcasters for their "score bugs" in the corner of the screen.

You can see an example of the infinitely better old style in the '82 Lato sticker above.

There is, however, hope for the album itself.

Comment

Magyarország
                            Hey I wasn't far off. Goes to show that Panini 86 album was a sound educational investment by my parents.

Comment

I never finished my Euro 2012 album. Still have it and a stack of swaps in my office at work. I guess I should work on finishing that before starting on the 2016 album.

Comment

Charles de Gallois wrote:
                                Originally posted by Kevchenko
                                I hope they actually use the Icelandic letters þ and ð on the stickers and don't try to fob people off with a p or a d.

Fans of the 'to bach' will also be looking for the correct spelling of Owain Fôn Williams.
                                It's correct in the Panini Wales album so I presume it will be in the tournament album too.

Comment

The album is out now (apparently).

Comment

I've been keeping an eye out but still haven't seen it.

The Adrenalyn trading cards have been out for a few weeks, but I'm not collecting them.

(I completed the Wales sticker album a while ago. Pleased with that.)

EDIT: Ah, yes, according to UEFA they should be launched today:

UEFA's web site wrote:
                                    Panini's tenth EURO sticker album will act as an invaluable guide for collectors and fans. There are several new features compared with previous editions:

[ul]
                                    [li]Double-page spreads for each of the six groups[/li]
                                    [li]Every team page has 20 half-figure stickers for each player[/li]
                                    [li]Images of fans and the major landmarks of every nation[/li]
                                    [li]Spreads on the regular starting lineups of the 24 finalists[/li]
                                    [li]Each team's 'top player' will have their own full-figure sticker[/li]
                                    [li]Special stickers including the logo, the trophy and match ball[/li]
                                    [/ul]

The album is 96 pages and consists of 680 stickers, 50 of which are printed on special metallic material. Some versions of the album, targeted to specific markets, include a poster and extra stickers dedicated to a particular national team.
                                    680 is a lot of stickers. More than the Brazil world cup album.

And do we really need pics of fans or an England poster?

I don't like posters in sticker albums as you have to detach the poster to stick the stickers on and then it's easier to lose it. Harrumph.

Comment

Incandenza wrote: I never finished my Euro 2012 album. Still have it and a stack of swaps in my office at work. I guess I should work on finishing that before starting on the 2016 album.
                                      I eventually completed the Euro 2012 one, and still have the inevitable stack of swaps too - let me know what you need!

Comment

I've now got eyes on these in the shops. The WH Smith in work has the starter packs. (Couldn't see the packs of stickers yet though)

Back in 2014 the supermarkets were giving away free World Cup albums though, so I'm going to see if I can get a freebie, rather than having to pay for the book.

Comment

andrew7610 wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Incandenza
                                          I never finished my Euro 2012 album. Still have it and a stack of swaps in my office at work. I guess I should work on finishing that before starting on the 2016 album.
                                          I eventually completed the Euro 2012 one, and still have the inevitable stack of swaps too - let me know what you need!
                                          Thanks. I entered my swaps/needs on some website (can't remember the name now), and I'm tardy on sending some of my extras out. I'll let you know when I'm done with that.

I also have plenty of swaps for Brazil 2014 and missing stickers also.

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: I've now got eyes on these in the shops. The WH Smith in work has the starter packs. (Couldn't see the packs of stickers yet though)

Back in 2014 the supermarkets were giving away free World Cup albums though, so I'm going to see if I can get a freebie, rather than having to pay for the book.
                                            Are you going to the Wales - NI friendly? You can get the album with the programme.

https://twitter.com/FAWales/status/712964785277526016

Comment

Didn't go to that. Tried Tesco and Asda tonight but no free albums out yet. Bought 4 packs of stickers though. Got Aaron Ramsey, a shiny Germany sticker, the Hungarian guy who is number 666 and my first swap!

Did well on goalies too: Loris, Cech and Pantilimon.

Comment

Just downloaded the Panini Collectors App onto my new phone. Seems like they have fixed the bug that didn't recognise black players.

Adam Bogdan is a dead ringer for movie star Chris Pratt.

Comment

I think I'm the only person who has got this so far.

What you gets for your money:

A large album. 20 squad pics per team. Although some teams have 2 keepers and some just have 1. Plus another 6 stickers, 5 of which are split down the vertical to produce 2 full length action shots of players. These are the 'qualifying squads' (why??) There's also a star player sticker that goes alongside this. Teams and Badges are shiny, but are on a separate double page spread for each group.

That might sound confusing. This is the page layout.

Group badges / teams (2 stickers each on 2 pages)
                                                  Team A 20 squad players (2 pages)
                                                  Teams A & B 6 stickers each of qualifying squad players - 11 players featured (2 pages)
                                                  Team B 20 squad players (2 pages)
                                                  Team C 20 squad players (2 pages)
                                                  Teams C & D Qualifying squad players - (2 pages)
                                                  Team D squad players (2 pages)

And onto the next group.
                                                  So that is 14 pages / 112 stickers per group

I see no point in the qualifying squad stickers (well, apart from selling more stickers). Panini could cull those 144 stickers and still have a large collection of 536 stickers.

It just seems crazy large, especially in comparison to the Brazil 2014 collection, which was 639 stickers for 32 teams.

Having completed the Wales Campaign celebration sticker album (204 stickers) a few weeks ago, I'm seriously considering not trying to complete this and just trying to fill the home nations and Ireland pages. And probably Germany.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X