OTF is a different place.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been censured in a different football forum for saying that another poster was talking "crap" and "absolute bollocks". To be fair, it turned out he wasn't but it was the 'language' I was being upbraided for not the accusation. Another poster had the word "arse" changed to "person" by a moderator. Laughably, everyone has referred to how the second guy was edited just as my post was and yet my 'crap' and 'absolute bollocks' are extant.

What I was equally surprised about was that we had fallen foul of this rule

Posting Content.
    Content that is unlawful, obscene, mischievous, vulgar, profane, sexually oriented, racially or religiously discriminating, or otherwise objectionable is not permitted, even if masked.
    'Mischievous'? What next? Banning tomfoolery, high jinks, zany japes and pranks?

Anyway, the old Cardiff City list I was on and Facebook are fairly sweary and, of course, this place is pleasingly robust. Is anyone else on a forum - particularly a football one - that is similarly mealy mouthed?

I suppose the style of this place is somewhat profane compared to some other boards. At least my posts are. But that's because it feels - to me at least - like a members' club, rather than a public meeting.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I have been censured in a different football forum for saying that another poster was talking "crap" and "absolute bollocks". To be fair, it turned out he wasn't but it was the 'language' I was being upbraided for not the accusation. Another poster had the word "arse" changed to "person" by a moderator. Laughably, everyone has referred to how the second guy was edited just as my post was and yet my 'crap' and 'absolute bollocks' are extant.

What I was equally surprised about was that we had fallen foul of this rule

Posting Content.
      Content that is unlawful, obscene, mischievous, vulgar, profane, sexually oriented, racially or religiously discriminating, or otherwise objectionable is not permitted, even if masked.
      'Mischievous'? What next? Banning tomfoolery, high jinks, zany japes and pranks?

Anyway, the old Cardiff City list I was on and Facebook are fairly sweary and, of course, this place is pleasingly robust. Is anyone else on a forum - particularly a football one - that is similarly mealy mouthed?
      I refer you to the comment posted by "Jesus" earlier.

Comment

The Southport forum has filters that automatically replace certain words. This meant a couple of years ago, the forum had a thread about how one of our former players had been arrested for possession of sweeties with a street value of several million pounds.

Comment

As someone on the same thread has put "Strewth" which is briliant, I have suggested that this replaces cussing and swearing which means I can call all and sundry "strewthing motherstrewthers"

Comment

On Blue and Amber the 'cunt' in Scunthorpe appears as Sc**thorpe.

Comment

NickSTFU wrote: On Blue and Amber the 'cunt' in Scunthorpe appears as Sc**thorpe.
              A manifesto to which I'd happily subscribe.

Comment

On the contrary, in my experience I would say other football forums are as sweary as this one and more tolerant of dodgy stuff to boot. Adminsitration here is notably laissez-fair, but there's more 'self-policing'.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: As someone on the same thread has put "Strewth" which is briliant, I have suggested that this replaces cussing and swearing which means I can call all and sundry "strewthing motherstrewthers"
                  You could always follow the lead of Wes Anderson in 'Fantastic Mr. Fox' and try 'cussing mothercussers'.

Comment

Vulgarian Visigoth wrote: On the contrary, in my experience I would say other football forums are as sweary as this one and more tolerant of dodgy stuff to boot. Adminsitration here is notably laissez-fair, but there's more 'self-policing'.
                    Largely. This. I don't have a problem with profanity.

But I have walked from forums (fora?) Where racism has not been challenged by the denizens, and/or the mods.

(nb. The mods. Not the admins)

Comment

Most club forums (including ours at Orient) have the full range of intelligence from bright sparks to absolute thickos on display, plus a spectrum of politics more representative of the population at large. It can be a 'mare to moderate (I've done it) at times, and kick off over the slghtest pretext - and the cleverer wums enjoy poking the wasps nest and hooking the dumber, more gullible posters too.

This place, dare I say, seems a haven of articulate debate where the lack of tribal twattishness differentiates it. Still, who doesn't enjoy acting the cunt and getting all sweary occassionally? Maybe not too our Messiah levels, but I know I certainly fucking do.

Comment

NickSTFU wrote: On Blue and Amber the 'cunt' in Scunthorpe appears as Sc**thorpe.
                        SBerkshireHunthorpe on one of the Chelsea ones.

Comment

S Berkshire Hunt? I know a couple of the Newbury Chelsea fans

Doesn't the slang originally refer Berkeley Hunt?

Comment

Working...
                          X