Force Awakens Spoiler Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray de Galles wrote: So my son and I were having a conversation on the way to school this morning about the Starkiller Base and I want to check my take on it is correct.

It is an entire natural planet that has been turned in to a weapon and that weapon "charges" itself on a sun. When it is charged that sun is pretty much drained of energy (at least temporarily, but probably permanently) which is why the rebels have until it goes dark in the climactic battle.

So, two questions :

a) wouldn't draining the nearest sun of energy have immediate disastrous implications for the Starkiller Base planet itself? Even more so if they actually destroy the sun in doing so?

b) given the Starkiller's weapon is used (or at least charged to be used) more than once in the film that implies it is mobile and can move between systems (or, I suppose that it is a binary solar system but that didn't appear to be the case). How does that happen and where does the energy come from for that?

He's home at around 3:30pm if any of you can help.

With regard to b) I got the impression that the Starkiller base was immobile as the "death rays" were sent through hyperspace to their targets.

Comment

Actually, according to this link the base was mobile and, does indeed, use up the star which provides the energy.

Comment

Yes, I found that link yesterday. Almost poses as many questions as it answers. The info it points to in a series of December tweets from a Pablo Hidalgo at Lucasfilm is interesting but I can't figure out a way to see all of them.

Comment

The original death star had hyperspace engines that took it to the Yavin system. It then proceeded into the system using its sunlight engines. It would have dropped in at the edge of the system as it's mass was too great to emerge from hyperspace closer to the planet.

Starkiller base was a natural planet turned into a death star and presumably also had hyperspace engines. The weapon didn't make any sense though. What exactly was sent through hyperspace? Lasers already travel at light speed.

Comment

Working...
          X