A question about Undies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about Undies

I'll concede that those are prettier than mine.

Comment

A question about Undies

Nah, has to be Lycra. Keeps the boys in the barracks.

Comment

A question about Undies

What are those Horst Hrubesch undercrackers saying? It's a bit too idiomatic for me to puzzle out.

Comment

A question about Undies

Just buy plain black. Same with socks. And most shirts for that matter. Dour, joyless, Calvinist attire.

Comment

A question about Undies

san2sboro wrote: What are those Horst Hrubesch undercrackers saying? It's a bit too idiomatic for me to puzzle out.
            So the story goes, "Da tu ich ihn ihm rein in ihn ihm sein Tor" was what the great man said shortly before successfully executing an important penalty kick.

He overdid the objects a bit, though. The second "ihn" is unnecessary.

If you break it down, it's more or less:

Da tue ich ... rein = I'll stick in (in this case at least)
            ihn = it (in this case, the ball)
            ihm = to him (in this case, the goalkeeper)
            in = into
            ihm = that which belongs to him, (i.e. the goalkeeper)
            sein Tor = his goal (the goalkeeper's goal, that is.)

Translation: I'll stick it past the keeper.

Comment

A question about Undies

george clarts wrote: Just buy plain black. Same with socks. And most shirts for that matter. Dour, joyless, Calvinist attire.
              Oh, and as for not having blokes' names on your gruds.. there shouldn't be any bloody writing on them. Or any of your other clothing.

Comment

A question about Undies

I'm definitely pro-trunks. While I do have some y-fronts and some hipsters, I find tangling/riding effects make themselves felt more with those kinds. Boxers? No chance, pal.

I have got some with patterns/designs on. Often bought for me by Ms Felicity, inc lobsters, other animals, superheroes (I think those were H&M, now I think about it). There are real differences in quality/durability with these- H&M somewhere in the middle, but Lidl's own brand, other supermarket makes, 'Lefties' (the Zara outlet shops in Spain) have barely lasted a few washes before shrinkage/mis-shaping occurs.

Lyle & Scott, John Rocha, Puma, 'Twisted Soul' (whoever they are) and fancy foreign makes like Intimissimi have all lasted me well. And I get many of them from TK Maxx, discounted, obviously.

Comment

A question about Undies

Cheers trei, it was indeed the second 'ihn' that was bedevilling me, like a piece of jigsaw left over.

Comment

A question about Undies

Felicity, I guess so wrote: I'm definitely pro-trunks. While I do have some y-fronts and some hipsters, I find tangling/riding effects make themselves felt more with those kinds. Boxers? No chance, pal.
                    I never have such issues with hipsters, which - for Vulgarian's benefit - should look akin to these:

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_091010606560_-1

(Can't seem to upload images at present.)

Comment

A question about Undies

Jah Womble wrote: I never have such issues with hipsters, which - for Vulgarian's benefit - should look akin to these:

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_091010606560_-1
                      This may be a country-specific thing, but they're what Germany calls 'trunks' (they'd be short trunks, but still trunks). 'Hipsters', here, would be shaped more like standard underpants

Comment

A question about Undies

The only thing on this thread that's caught me off guard is that treibeis shops at H&M.

Comment

A question about Undies

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                          Originally posted by Femme Folle
                          It's never okay to simply turn them inside out to get more wearing out of them between washings.
                          Do women do this?
                          Not that I'm aware--I thought it was men who did that. But, either way, the point stands. Don't do it.

Comment

A question about Undies

I buy my undies on Amazon. They are simple, 100% cotton and I can buy them by the half dozen for less than what one pair from a department store or Victoria's Secret would cost.

Comment

A question about Undies

WOM wrote: The only thing on this thread that's caught me off guard is that treibeis shops at H&M.
                              I don't 'shop' at H&M. I buy underpants once a year at H&M. Saying I 'shop' at H&M is like somebody saying, "Look, there's WOM, that bloke who buys Christmas trees at IKEA."

And seeing as the only underpants you can now get at H&M have pictures of Babe Ruth on them, I won't be going there even once a year in future.

Comment

A question about Undies

Jah Womble wrote:
                                Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so
                                I'm definitely pro-trunks. While I do have some y-fronts and some hipsters, I find tangling/riding effects make themselves felt more with those kinds. Boxers? No chance, pal.
                                I never have such issues with hipsters, which - for Vulgarian's benefit - should look akin to these:

I thought that was they meant when they talked about trunks. I'm afraid I'm not conversational in underwear lingo.

Do youse have really sculpted bodies? I'm struggling to imagine a fat bastard wearing those.

Comment

A question about Undies

treibeis wrote: I don't 'shop' at H&M. I buy underpants once a year at H&M. Saying I 'shop' at H&M is like somebody saying, "Look, there's WOM, that bloke who buys Christmas trees at IKEA."
                                  I'm not convinced. H&M isn't the sort of place one goes on instinct to find wardrobe basics and staples. ie, socks, underwear and plain t-shirts. It's more of a hipster doofus kind of place where one gets vests and pork-pie hats and tapered pants in mustard hues. One might be in there perusing such things and say "Oh, look, they do black underwear in 6-packs. I'll try them." That I could accept.

But to suggest that it's a once yearly go-to for basics, in the M&S/Walmart/Sears vein, seems a stretch. No...I'm going to suggest you have nattier tendencies than you let on, and the underwear gambit is an unavoidable outcome of such.

Comment

A question about Undies

Vulgarian Visigoth wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Jah Womble
                                    Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so

I thought that was they meant when they talked about trunks. I'm afraid I'm not conversational in underwear lingo.

Do youse have really sculpted bodies? I'm struggling to imagine a fat bastard wearing those.
                                    I'm neither nor, tbh - I'm certainly not 'sculpted' but the ol' 5/2 has put paid to the middle-aged spread. Most of the blokes on that website looked as though they'd been made from the same flatpack.

Definitely hipsters, though - trunks are a very different 'kettle of' where I come from.

Comment

A question about Undies

WOM wrote: I'm not convinced. H&M isn't the sort of place one goes on instinct to find wardrobe basics and staples. ie, socks, underwear and plain t-shirts.
                                      Bloody hell. I sided with you on the 'I'm Not In Love' issue when everybody else on the board was forming a bloody lynch mob and looking up flight times to Toronto, and this is the thanks I get.

I've never been there on instinct, that's true. Somebody told me that's where you can get decent T-shirts, underpants and socks at a reasonable price, and so off I went.

(They were wrong about the socks and the T-shirts, but the underpants stood the test of both time and daily cycling.)

Whenever I went to H&M - which, as I said, was once a year - I always feared that I'd pick up the following day's local paper to find a story about a 'H&M prowler', with a grainy CCTV photo of me alongside it. The shop always seemed to be full of teenage girls and mothers with pushchairs. I don't think I ever saw more than about three blokes there.

Comment

A question about Undies

I get mine from H&M as well. Good quality, reasonably priced.

Only issue with bulk-buying underwear is that it all tends to disintegrate at the same time.

Comment

A question about Undies

Vulgarian Visigoth wrote: A Google search for hipsters returns this:

Whatever makes you feel beautiful, Jah.
                                          Bloody hell, I just got a 1970's Marshall Ward catalogue flashback.

Comment

A question about Undies

treibeis wrote: Bloody hell. I sided with you on the 'I'm Not In Love' issue when everybody else on the board was forming a bloody lynch mob and looking up flight times to Toronto, and this is the thanks I get.
                                            As I said in last evening's telegram, I very much appreciated the support. But this deflection does little to bolster your case. The very idea that you [of all people] have conversations [of all things] about underwear [of all topics] with others simply cements the idea that you, sir, shop regularly at H&M. I didn't want to say it out loud like this, but here we are.

J'accuse!

Comment

A question about Undies

H&M is cheap. Yes, a lot of the stuff is made for hipster wannabes, but not all of it. It makes sense to get your basics there if you know what you're looking for.

Comment

A question about Undies

whilst living in amsterdam, h&m was my go-to place for €15 jeans that would look like shit after two washes.

Comment

A question about Undies

also, if you are associating the place with "hipster"... i dunno what to say, grandad.

Comment

A question about Undies

george clarts wrote: whilst living in amsterdam, h&m was my go-to place for €15 jeans that would look like shit after two washes.
                                                    It was my go-to place about 3 weeks ago for 3 pairs of 20 quid trousers - I don't know what to accurately call them; they're not jeans, but they're not sort of work suit trousers either, and Ms johnr liked the look of them - and, you're right, they now look pretty shit.

Their stuff is high street, not hipster.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X