Hurrah for the Fourth Estate! (Reprise)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/dec/09/media-groups-challenge-ban-naming-woman-right-to-die-sparkle?CMP=share_btn_tw

Lawyers for the Daily Mail, the Times, the Daily Telegraph and the Independent argue that any ban on identifying the woman after death is a significant interference with the right to freedom of expression and that evidence of potential harm to family members is “very thin”.
    So. Can any of the otf-room lawyers explain to me why anyone would possibly think there's a public interest issue here in identifying her, or, more accurately, her still living relatives?

I mentioned this in another thread but it is more pertinent here. A mate was working on the Becky Watts trial as he is in child protection and is responsible for the child that Becky Watts' stepbrother and his girlfriend - who murdered her - have.

It was pretty grim for him. He didn't have to attend court but just keep an eye on the media coverage (including a Twitter feed of all things) to make sure that the child wasn't named outside of court although inside was allowed. He said that the media were brilliant during the case and then, two days after the verdict, the Sun, of course, named the child on their website. It was quickly taken down but still...

Comment

Strictly and legally speaking, the stepbrother murdered and the girlfriend manslaughtered. They both killed her.

The name of the woman in the original story is of such little consequence to me that I assumed she had been named in the press at the time.

Comment

Working...
      X