• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Wasn't Born For These Times (or Places) Pt.1

He was in Tribeca last fall

He gets around

Comment

I like Bin Bag Bear. He looks like the sort of things Jeff Koons used to do. I like to think that he is ignoring the art lot rather than vice versa.

Amor de Cosmos wrote: nd almost seems directed.

For me, none of this is what the experience of engaging with imagery and art objects is supposed to be like.
      Certainly not the 'being stabbed' part.

WOM wrote: poor people buy dogs playing poker.
      ...and middle class people if their wives would let them.

As far as the opening post is concerned, it's art tourism, isn't it. In the same way as people go on holiday and check off the photo opportunities, people go so that they can have a drink and a chat and say that they have gone. You get the same on other areas. I went to the Groves/Froch fight last year and there were many people that were there so they could say they were at the biggest live boxing event in however many years. It's sports tourism. Burning Man and Glastonbury are the same. Whenever the Manics or the Stereophonics do big homecoming gigs, it is the same.

However, go to amateur boxing matches, small festivals and gigs at pubs and it is different. People are much more there for the art or sport. They want a drink and a chat as well, like, but the enjoyment of the spectacle is much more intrinsic.

Comment

Weird coincidence for me, this thread. I'd never heard of Art Basel until a week ago. But then within a couple of days I see this thread and also pick up, to read for the first time, my copy of Tom Wolfe's "Back to Blood", the cover blurb on which indicates that Art Basel features in the plot.

Comment

it's art tourism, isn't it. In the same way as people go on holiday and check off the photo opportunities, people go so that they can have a drink and a chat and say that they have gone.

There will inevitably be some people who do that, but the moment the organisers begin catering to them, rather than to the work and audience who wants to see it, they sacrifice integrity and credibility. Similar scale shows manage to avoid that, Art Basel doesn't.

Comment

Unfortunately, there is a lot of money in the demographic that want to be seen at events without necessarily paying the slightest bit of interest in the main reason for them.

Mind you, I worked on an art magazine with a lot of sincere art people and I am not sure I would want to be rubbing shoulders with them.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Weird coincidence for me, this thread. I'd never heard of Art Basel until a week ago. But then within a couple of days I see this thread and also pick up, to read for the first time, my copy of Tom Wolfe's "Back to Blood", the cover blurb on which indicates that Art Basel features in the plot.
              Colloquially known as the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.

Comment

No video or podcast yet available from the art, class and meritocracy conference, but in the meantime, a rant from one of its panellists:

Comment

It's boring old shit, this model of culture, and affects every area of it. The slide from creativity to recreation on a boringly capitalist model.

It's been good to have rid of religious ties to art on the whole, but what do these people think art is for, outside of commerce? Perhaps there are some little Blakes crawling about somewhere near the margins.

Comment

Yes, deadening shit.

Comment

Not sure where this fits but this thread is as good as anywhere.

AdeC jr was in the deserted ferry/bus terminal in Nanaimo yesterday. He had forty-five minutes to kill before his ride to Victoria and fancied a coffee. About ten yards inside the ferry entrance there's a Starbucks. He says to the ticket person:

"I'm not taking the ferry but I'd like a coffee, can you let me through to buy one? I'll come right back"

"No sorry I can't do that."

"OK. If I buy you a coffee too, will you go in and get them for both of us?

"No. I'm not allowed to leave the booth."

"But there's no one else in sight!"

"Sorry. But you know what. If you've got a Starbucks app, you can order a coffee and they'll bring it out to you."

"Wha...! But without a ticket they won't be able to go back in right?

"Yes they will, because they work for Starbucks."

"Wait a minute. Anyone who has a Starbucks uniform gets free ferry travel because you'll let them through the gate without a ticket?"

"Errr... No... I don't think so."

"But that's pretty much what you said."

"No it isn't"

"How is it different?"

"Look, are you going to buy a ferry ticket or not!"

Comment

Working...
                      X