Lenny Henry and Ainsley Harriott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen here in a rare photograph from early in their career(s), when they also appeared with their good friend, Gary Wilmot -

(Source: ITV news)

I can't even bring myself to ask what this is about.

Comment

ITV news have illustrated an item about Lenny Henry receiving his knighthood with footage of Ainsley Harriott.

Comment

I have to say that, upon consideration, is this just a similar case to the Jocky Wilson/Jackie Wilson TOTP fuck-up with Dexy's Midnight Runners or when people say that they can't tell Ant and Dec apart but we are more alerted to it because they are black. I mean they genuinely look nothing like each other. As someone pointed out their surnames are very close alphabetically.

Mind you, that does suggest they have have a system that has files in order of skin colour and then alphabetical.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I have to say that, upon consideration, is this just a similar case to the Jocky Wilson/Jackie Wilson TOTP fuck-up with Dexy's Midnight Runners …
          It wasn't a fuck-up. It was Kevin Rowland's idea.

Comment

Guy Potger wrote: ITV news have illustrated an item about Lenny Henry receiving his knighthood with footage of Ainsley Harriott.
            Ok, but why the daft photo..?

Comment

Lenny Henry did play "Chef" ...

Comment

Comment

Surely, Alan Davies, is white?

And it wasn't about who was the chef, it was about the twat who was the KP.

Pig's ear, either way.

Comment

Did a TV impressionist once do an extremely unwise racist impression of Harriott? Henry of course had "previous" from doing African caricatures on OTT, although he was simply being extremely naive rather than racist.

Comment

It was common for parents and grandparents to call him Lenry Henry when I grew up.

I didn't mind his Delroy wotisname character when I was younger, apart from that, he's pretty poor.

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: Did a TV impressionist once do an extremely unwise racist impression of Harriott? Henry of course had "previous" from doing African caricatures on OTT, although he was simply being extremely naive rather than racist.
                        I guy with whom I used to work was also one of Lenny Henry's writers - he was certainly still doing all that 'Katanga!' stuff into the millennium.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                          Originally posted by Bored of Education
                          I have to say that, upon consideration, is this just a similar case to the Jocky Wilson/Jackie Wilson TOTP fuck-up with Dexy's Midnight Runners …
                          It wasn't a fuck-up. It was Kevin Rowland's idea.
                          Really? Fucking hell, I never knew that

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: Did a TV impressionist once do an extremely unwise racist impression of Harriot
                            Rory Bremner did at least one sketch of him. Can't remember if it caused any kind of stir, though.

Comment

I actually think there was more of a furore about Bremner using ping-pong balls for Harriott's eyes than for him blacking up.

Comment

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote: I actually think there was more of a furore about Bremner using ping-pong balls for Harriott's eyes than for him blacking up.
                                I just watched it on YouTube. I don't think I've seen anything like it before.

Comment

Rory Bremner also mimicked David Blunkett a few times. Did that cause any kind of controversy?

Comment

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/itc/itc_publications/complaints_reports/programme_complaints/show_complaint.asp-prog_complaint_id=381.html

"The ITC believed that the parody of Ainsley Harriot was not racist in intention or presentation. The show parodies a wide variety of personalities and celebrities and has previously involved Rory Bremner 'blacking up' where appropriate. The chef's colour was not an issue in the sketch."

Comment

I doubt they'd conclude it wasn't racist in presentation of it happened now. Indeed it's surprising they came to this conclusion only, what, 12 years ago?

Comment

Dalef65 wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Guy Potger
                                        ITV news have illustrated an item about Lenny Henry receiving his knighthood with footage of Ainsley Harriott.
                                        Ok, but why the daft photo..?

Comment

I keep reading this topic and thinking about a tv show that's on BBC2 of a morning; Len and Ainsley's Big Food Adventure.

The basic premise is that Len Goodman, being a proper old cockerney geezer, has only ever eaten Fish and Chips, and doesn't like any of that 'foreign muck' (that might not be an actual quote, but it's the gist of the series).

So Ainsley takes him around the various ethnic backwaters of Britain, presenting dishes and locals to Sir Len of Goodman, which Len initially turns his nose up at, but then, surprise, surprise, actually quite likes.

I always get the feeling Len would rather be eating chips.

Comment

Working...
                                          X