Christmas Pantomimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Ha, no. He went for the cowardly lion, which he's done before, but sensibly ended up with Grand Vizier and another part. We'll find exactly what when we go to see him...
    He was also Dorothy's uncle and a Munchkin. The best bit was they did The Jitterbug, which is my favourite.

Comment

It was Snow white and the Seven Dwarfs at Theatre Severn in Shrewsbury. They missed a trick not having them as the Severn Dwarfs.

Anyway, it was alright. There were a lot of very dated jokes e.g. about Boy George. There were also a couple of gags that Mrs Thistle thought were homophobic. The chorus line choreography was very basic and the songs were more miss than hit.

The funniest bit was when the audience didn't warn Snow White that she was about to get done in, prompting ad libs like mad from the dame and multiple corpsing from the other players. I find it impossible not to laugh when that happens.

Comment

Snow White was the panto in Cardiff too. Comparing notes yesterday with a work colleague we agreed that it's a dated format.

However she told me something that made her feel uncomfortable and I was equally surprised at. Gareth Alfie Thomas is in the Cardiff panto and at one point the wicked Queen puts a spell on him. Cue a special effect bang and smoke, at which point the Queen says "What a big puff!"

Now this is a reference to the smoke but also a derogatory pun about Alfie's sexuality. Presumably Alfie knows it's in the script and is OK with it. But my colleague said she felt it wasn't acceptable and she was "surprised they were allowed to say that".

Comment

Dick Whittington was brilliant last night, very very funny and absolutely amazing as a spectacle. Julian Clary's costumes alone were worth the price of admission (although my tickets were free). Really good special effects and dancing from Diversity.

The plot was utterly bonkers, and the jokes were a bit rude but not offensive (as Julian was the main one making gay jokes, and Elaine Paige and Nigel Havers both sent themselves up for being old divas). The only time I bristled in my PC chair was at the end when they brought on four chlldren aged 6-7 and divided them into "boys on this side, girls on the other", despite Julian having made reference to "binary" genders earlier on, and then teased one of the boys in a slightly old-fashioned way (assuming his future sexual orientation), but hey. A thousand years away from the light entertainment of old.

Gary Wilmot is also, it transpires, very talented and I even enjoyed the ventriloquist Paul Zerdin, who is wittier than most (although he was the binary divider of children, so loses a point there for me).

Comment

Should have used JM Barrie's formula for gender division:

"the mauve [fairies] are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are." — Peter and Wendy

Comment

I loved ‘Dick Whittington’ too, up there with the previous year’s Clary-led smutfest ‘Cinderella’.

Diversity were the only real mis-step for me (apart from noting the slightly throwback tendency of the child participation that MsD mentions), I found my eyes glazing over when they were on and wondering when the panto would start again.

I also managed to get invites to the aftershow (I went on the press night) but my mum was a bit tired so we didn’t get a chance to hang with Julian.

Comment

<Jell> I’d have liked to go to the afterparty. But can’t complain, as my prize package was easily over £1k, with top rooms at the Waldorf and drinks etc.

Still.

Comment

I'll be Marcel the beautician in Beauty and the Beast this year. No, me neither. I'm also appearing as Mrs. Potts in the big musical number. Performances start Friday.

Comment

I somehow sense that your preparation hasn't involved working as a beautician, or indeed marrying Mr Potts, for a year following the De Niro/Day Lewis approach.

Comment

We should be going to see my brother-in-law in The Wind In The Willows in Tunbridge Wells. He's playing Badger. I saw him last night, and he's got a seriously impressive beard ready for the part.

Comment

I went to two pantos as a youngster. One with Harry Worth and the other with Des O'Connor both at the Theatre Royal, Nottingham. I seem to remember enjoying them immensely.

A few years ago I was in the VIP lounge at at Atlanta airport (I wasn't paying) and found myself talking with Jesse L. Martin of "Law and Order" fame. A genuinely nice bloke. He told me that one time in London he had been to a panto and loved it and ever since had wanted to do one but somehow the opportunity had never arisen. I think he would have been great. The late Jerry Orbach and him as the Ugly Sisters would have been priceless.

Comment

I would love to have seen Harry Worth in panto.

Comment

I saw Morecambe and Wise in panto when I was very young (under six.) I think it was Aladdin, I remember them doing "There's a hole in my bucket... etc." on board a ship, that's about it.

Comment

Did they manage to work the shop window business into HW's panto appearances?

We used to go every year as a family and the standout performers from memory were Les Dawson and John Nettles, who we saw a few times. They were good friends and would sign up to appear together as they knew that they would enjoy it and that in turn carried over to the audience. I can also remember finding Freddie Garrity very annoying one year, when I must have been 8 or so.

Apologies if I've already mentioned this on the thread; it's always a risk when an old one reappears.

Comment

I saw Roy Hudd in panto. He was very good.

Comment

Yep. Harry Worth did the shop window routine.

Comment

Yay!

Comment

I saw Russ Abbott in panto when I was a kid and back when he had a telly show. he did a lot of the characters off his TV show. I don't remember anything about it except the Basildon Bond spoof bit.

Comment

Stu Francis is worryingly absent from the Bolton panto calendar. Seems we're stuck with the bloke who was Sinbad in Brookside.

Comment

Michael Starke. Who was also Jerry Morton in Coronation Street. (Which I now haven't watched in over six months.)

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          I saw Russ Abbott in panto when I was a kid and back when he had a telly show. he did a lot of the characters off his TV show. I don't remember anything about it except the Basildon Bond spoof bit.
                                          Russ Abbot was surprisingly good as a straight actor, if memory serves.

Comment

Jack Tripp was the Dame, Nurse Ribena to Roy Hudd.

Comment

I'm taking my nieces to see Dick Whittington in Hammersmith at the weekend. It feels a bit early but that's when they are visiting.

Comment

Dick Whittington at the Lyric yesterday was great. They've spent the money on the show rather than appearance fees and it looks great, with lots of bright, strong colours. The book was very post-Paddington, emphasising a London is open and inclusive message. There were some very strong musical set pieces and songs chosen from the '80s to now (I'm taking the latter on trust). The cast all performed with skill and gusto. Reviews had said that this year was smuttier than previous Hammersmith pantos but it wasn't overwhelming and the double entendres weren't delivered leeringly. Nieces, aged 8, 11 and 13, all thought it was brilliant.

Comment

Brother-in-law is going to be in this, which we've booked tickets for. First thing he's been in since last year's little episode...
                                                  A friend's eldest is in Wizard of Oz in Carlisle, in the munchkin-based chorus. I might go along to see how she gets on.

Adding to the list of "now forgotten stars seen in panto", I saw Bernie Winters and Schnorbitz in Newcastle circa 1982. Unfortunately he didn't have his brother on with him* denying the local hecklers an opportunity to reprise the "fucking hell, there's two of them" gag.

*his brother may well have died before then.

Comment

We should be going to see my brother-in-law in The Wind In The Willows in Tunbridge Wells. He's playing Badger. I saw him last night, and he's got a seriously impressive beard ready for the part.
                                                    We went on Sunday. I wasn't expecting much, but it was very enjoyable. The weasels were wonderful baddies. Mr. Toad apparently crippled himself in the curtain call so I'm not sure if the production was going to be able to continue.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X