Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Pantomimes

Time for some lighter material here.

It was the first night of Nottingham Playhouse* panto on Friday. The KGR's managed to get cheap tickets through the twins' clubs we are members of, so off we all went.

I know it's unbelievably naff and will get me no credit here whatsoever, but their panto is a highlight each year. No big names, just honest excellent performers putting their all in, and giving the crowds a fun night out. The obvious jokes were included, all of which add to the overall mixture.

There won't be a better dame anywhere than John Elkington, who plays it with the perfect mixture of camp, silliness and audience-participation. A costume malfunction with one of his many wigs provided one of the biggest laughs, of course.

Kids excitedly talked about it all the way home, and explained most of the jokes to grandparents on Saturday.

One of the best aspects of Christmas, a good local panto.

*smaller independent venue, the largest theatre on the city is the Theatre Royal.

Christmas Pantomimes

Undoubtedly the most sinister part of any child's upbringing.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Undoubtedly the most sinister part of any child's upbringing.
      Oh no it isn't!

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

We'll be off to Theatr Clwyd on the 22nd to see a rock 'n' roll version of 'Cinderella'. No stars, just the regular local cast having a ball. The panto sells out every year and pays for the rest of the year's activities. Last year we saw 'Jack and the Beanstalk' and we had an absolute blast. You'll get no slagging off pantos from me, it's an essential part of the build up to the Christmas holidays.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Has Harry never put up his "panto stars" thread on here?

Don't know who anyone else is but the Havers is a great call.

Actually, I do know Jon Monie. He is a local comedian/DJ and he has been in every panto since I have been here. Up until his death, Chris Harris was also the dame and 'executive producer'. Never used to see anything of him the rest of the year but he would turn up at panto having given himself the dame role again.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Very poor pickings from the old town.

Who has got Dr Karl from Neighbours this year?

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Leslie Grantham and Antony Costa from Blue, in Dunstable.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Bored of Education wrote: Very poor pickings from the old town.

Who has got Dr Karl from Neighbours this year?
                That poster has got my name on it.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

So any Hollywood stars this year? Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas as the ugly sisters? The Hoff? Someone off Beverley Hills 90210?

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Does Priscilla Presley count?

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

The Hoff's doing panto with the Krankies in Glasgow this year. Together at last.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Gawpus wrote: The Hoff's doing panto with the Krankies in Glasgow this year. Together at last.
                        That's a real pro at work. Seeing as she fractured her skull last Christmas, when she fell off the beanstalk.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

This is going to be one of those 'time flies' for you moments Stumpy, that wasn't last year. It was 2004...

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

I think I was around 10 when I realised that I absolutely detested Pantomimes and point blank refused to go to one. I preferred to stay in my Grandparents house, alone, whilst everyone else went.
                            I think my parents were hoping I would be so bored that I would join the group next year, but that came around and I again insisted on staying at home. And then my sister announced that she wasn't particularly bothered if she went or not. Pantomimes were never mentioned as an option again.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Gawpus wrote: This is going to be one of those 'time flies' for you moments Stumpy, that wasn't last year. It was 2004...
                              Lordy. I think I've slipped through a hole in the fabric of time.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

We went to one last time I was back in England with the family round Xmas. Jack and the Beanstalk at the Cambridge Arts Theatre. It was enjoyable (though I had to clue everybody in on all the cultural bits that as an English child you're just supposed to know). This year we'll be in England after Xmas again, and my mum offered to get us tickets again, but then she added that there was also a theatre version of Horrible Histories on at the Corn Exchange and would we rather do that? Yes, we would. So no pantomime this year.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

My Grandmother and Grandfather took all the grandchildren to a panto at the Theatre Royal in Windsor ever year.
                                  It became ridiculous over time but when it was still going when I got to about 25 and the youngest of us there was my 18 year old younger sister I finally though "fuck this, I've got better things to do."
                                  The rest of them still go every year, but after not going the once, I was never invited back. Which suits me down to the ground.
                                  This year both my Grandmother and my older sister asked if the cub could come along this year. Much as it would be nice having a night with P, he's only just gone 2 and a half. I remember how fucking arduous it was putting up with that shit until that perfect window of about 6 or 7 to 10 years old when pantomimes are actually any good.
                                  So I've cried him off this year. He wouldn't sit through 90-120 minutes of pantomime.
                                  He can go next year. (If there is a next year of course. My Nan is 94 now, so who knows really.)

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

I hate pantomimes. I have never taken the boy to one either and I don't think he has ever felt like he missed out.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Regretfully my panto comeback will have to wait another year: last year I took a time out, and in my absence my fellow thespians hung up their wigs and frocks for good. Just as I was on the cusp of progressing from Evil Queen to Fairy Godmother.

A really good pantomime script will have gags for adults and themes for older kids, as well as corny stuff and slapstick for the youngsters. So there's never a good reason to stop going. Plus, some provincial theatres rake in half of their annual revenue from pantomime. Without those 150-year-old jokes, your Playhouse might well be just another Wetherspoon's.

The highlight of our company's pantomime experience – some might say, of our lives – was receiving a letter from our patron, Anita Dobson, written in character as the Wicked Queen, vilifying us for all the despicable work we had done in bringing joy to wretched little children. Such a pro. This year she's job-sharing with Katie Price in Woking, gawd bless 'er.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Bored of Education wrote: I hate pantomimes. I have never taken the boy to one either and I don't think he has ever felt like he missed out.
                                        Oh yes he has!

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

We went last years with our three year old to the on in Stratford - I was amazed at how sharp and slick and well-written it was. I get the sense in London it's an area there's a lot of competition and innovation to come up with something fresh and funny for all ages. There was a brilliantly right-on script that was pro-gay, pro-immigration. And best of all it feels like a real community event.

If you want to see cutting edge theatre, go to the pantomime. Seriously!

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Is nobody going to this?

I hope this is a glimpse of the future for Marine Le Pen.

I'd have a tough job casting a pantomime from members of this forum. The nativity play got easier this year, though.

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

diggedy derek wrote: We went last years with our three year old to the on in Stratford - I was amazed at how sharp and slick and well-written it was. I get the sense in London it's an area there's a lot of competition and innovation to come up with something fresh and funny for all ages. There was a brilliantly right-on script that was pro-gay, pro-immigration. And best of all it feels like a real community event.

If you want to see cutting edge theatre, go to the pantomime. Seriously!
                                              The 'cutting-edge' might not be so prominent in other panto's though; Stratford East has always been political and the panto there is always seen as a way of gettingleft politics across in a populist way (I spent a large part of my youth and early twenties involved/in the bar there).

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Bored of Education wrote: Has Harry never put up his "panto stars" thread on here?

Don't know who anyone else is but the Havers is a great call.

Actually, I do know Jon Monie. He is a local comedian/DJ and he has been in every panto since I have been here. Up until his death, Chris Harris was also the dame and 'executive producer'. Never used to see anything of him the rest of the year but he would turn up at panto having given himself the dame role again.
                                                Katy presents I Can Cook on CBeebies. She'll be popular with the youngest ones.

Altogether now:
                                                Roll up your sleeves
                                                Give your hands a wash
                                                With slippy dippy soap
                                                Splish splash splosh
                                                Have you done your hands?
                                                Washed and dried?
                                                Sleeves rolled up
                                                Apron time!
                                                What can you do?
                                                I can COOK!

Comment

Christmas Pantomimes

Thank goodness for that – I hated to be the first to point it out, seeing how I don't even have kids.

Katy's marvellous on I Can Cook – she cooks, sings and plays guitar (not all at once); my friends' little ones love it and I have no doubt she'll be very popular in the panto. And Nigel Havers is a great choice.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X