Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#ExMuslimBecause

ad hoc wrote:
    As a matter of interest do you believe that anti-Muslim hate/rhetoric (and worse) is not an issue that we should be concerned about?
    If a random right-wing commentator stated that, say, Muslim men were more likely to rape women than caucasian men based upon some scant supplied evidence that falls apart under the slightest analysis, you would be quite right to denounce the fellow as an agitator with a confirmation bias.

So it's surely only fair this cuts both ways? Groups like TM have a broader responsibility here too of course. Part of the Islamist narrative is to provoke a 'them and us' mentality and just as hate crimes against Muslims in stupidly misplaced revenge for Paris feed into this, so do exaggerating offences that actually have taken place. See also labelling any criticism of Islam, however reasoned and accurate, as Islamophobic and by extension a hate crime.

But to answer your curious question, of course it's a societal issue that we should be concerned with, just as we should be concerned with the much less reported rise in anti-semitic hate crimes.

Comment

#ExMuslimBecause

Carnivorous Vulgaris wrote: Removed by SP at user request
      He also made an appearance on the Presidential election thread yesterday having written an article opining that the left are to blame for Donald Trump
      Last edited by Snake Plissken; 19-12-2021, 15:21.

Comment

#ExMuslimBecause

To reverse quote your post a bit
        dalliance wrote: But to answer your curious question, of course it's a societal issue that we should be concerned with, just as we should be concerned with the much less reported rise in anti-semitic hate crimes.
        Curious odd or curious curious?

Good. I entirely agree.

So it's surely only fair this cuts both ways? Groups like TM have a broader responsibility here too of course. Part of the Islamist narrative is to provoke a 'them and us' mentality
        That's also the need and desire of the right of course.

and just as hate crimes against Muslims in stupidly misplaced revenge for Paris feed into this, so do exaggerating offences that actually have taken place.
        It depends what you mean by exaggerating. I mean if you are part of a marginalised group who is facing daily harassment (and there's been lots and lots of stories since Paris of people being verbally abused on buses, tubes, the pavement, etc etc) then I'm not sure reporting that (and then reporting those reports) as "attacks" is exaggerating. I'm absolutely sure that there are far more "attacks" of this nature that never go reported because Muslims (and other minority marginalised groups, Jews included) have become sadly used to them and also believe that nothing will happen if they do report it.

See also labelling any criticism of Islam, however reasoned and accurate, as Islamophobic and by extension a hate crime.
        And again, I have seen almost nothing of that ilk aside from the extreme fringe of Islamists. This is a phenomenon that I do see as being exaggerated, for what it's worth.

Comment

#ExMuslimBecause

Is the way MAMA and the (Jewish) Community Safety Trust treats "incidents" all that different?

As I say, Gilligan seemed happy to take the latter's stuff as the strongest authority.

Comment

#ExMuslimBecause

dalliance wrote:
            Originally posted by ad hoc
            Gilligan's motivations for downplaying anti-Muslim racism aside, the general feeling after that whole controversy was that Tell Mama had done nothing wrong and in fact were committed to searching for the reality (I know you're not going to believe TellMama themselves on this, but the piece they put out arguing their case is strong http://tellmamauk.org/gilligan-the-reductionists/ )

So, let's agree to differ on Gilligan's credibility. By no means and by no definition can anyone say though that Tell MAMA are "thoroughly discredited". That's quite clearly false.
            Gilligan is a pretty forensic journalist who lays out all his facts and research on the table. Feel free to pick at them and disprove them if you lare so inclined.
            He's a liar/misleader on everything I've seen him write about. Muslims, "driverless" trains on the underground" and HS2 seem to be his faves.

Tim Fenton is good on the transport stuff.

The Education Select Committee (chair, Graham Stuard (Con)) basically rubbished the Trojan Horse stuff.

Comment

#ExMuslimBecause

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Is the way MAMA and the (Jewish) Community Safety Trust treats "incidents" all that different?

As I say, Gilligan seemed happy to take the latter's stuff as the strongest authority.
              TellMama is explicitly modelled on the CST. Much to the disgust of the more obnoxious and anti Semitic elements of the Islamic community

Comment

#ExMuslimBecause

EDIT: Sorry, really should read the whole post. I have a terrible cold.

So that I don't waste the thread. Where are reruns of ALF shown?

Comment

Working...
                X